Show us your avatars!

Notice any problems? Have a suggestion? Want to offer praise or criticism? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Should this forum allow avatars?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:22 pm

Yes, but Lincoln pics only
49%
Yes, but anything we want (fat chance)
17%
No, I hate them.
17%
What is an avatar?
17%

Total votes: 59

jsanford
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by jsanford »

Sorry :cry:

Jeremy
LCOC Western Region Webmaster & Northern CA Activities Coordinator.
DB
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by DB »

640x480 pics are way to big to use in signitures (in my opinion). I like looking at nice cars, but the same big picture attached to each and every post gets tiresome after awhile. Plus it makes the thread extra long.

I really like inline pics, but what happens when the pic is removed from the host? Someone says, "what is this part?" and post a picutre. A year later the pic is gone and all we get is "what is this part?". Now it's a little red "x" and the thread is useless.
SN3
Occasional Visitor

Post by SN3 »

There is an image upload plug in for phpBB...maybe we could impliment that.
mbhoag
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mbhoag »

The forum is supported by its visitors. I thank all who have donated.

Other than SN3, I have had no outside help in running the forum. Some have offered and I haven't consulted them. Being miles apart doesn't make it any easier.

As far as regulating use, there are those here who have seen how I run this place. I am not a dictator. I think I have done a fair and balanced job.

I pose the avatar question in a democratic fashion. I want to get the members votes on this. Ultimately, everything is a compromise.
Some may wish only Lincolns, others their own faces or pets.

I think this forum is one of the more dignified and civilized forums on the net because the ages of our members is a little higher than those of, say, a Honda forum, or PT Cruiser forum.
Dan I agree 110% with eberything you say here. I also think you have done a fabulous job of being fair & balanced. I have no doubt that you will continue to do that.

It seems that sometimes I raise a question and the tone that is in my mind when I type it can be totally different from how others read it.... It wasnt my intention to be argumentative, just to raise a concern in my own mind. I will abide by whatever the final rules are when it comes to the board.

I also agree that limiting photo size in post is a good thing. I think the avatars could take the place of photos is signatures that many folks use, only to help conserve speed for dial up users (there are still people who use dial up?? :wink: )

It might help if there were a permant link to the 4images photo software directly from the forum index page. It would make it light years easier for people to post and view photos.

If server space or bandwith is still and issue with the photos, my offer is still open to attach to my photo posting board and use that on a permanent basis for the Lincoln Forum.

Thanks!
Deco
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Deco »

I'm against Avatars. They enevitably get more elaborate. We are already seeing some big signatures here.

Further, there will also be whining going on when Dan dis-allows someone's Avatar. We seem to find enough to get exited about here as it is, just check the ATF section we now have! I might want a babe in a string bikini layed out on the hood of my car?!?!?! Yeah, that would be cool. A purest might disagree though ('ya think there might be one here?).

Why not just go back to an earlier proposal from Dan that we have a section here (photo album) of the members vehicles? That would cut down on the bandwidth load for the ones who use dial-up. And limit the size, and number per member to a reasonable amount since there is no infinte storage.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I plan on having a BIG restriction on images in signatures. Inline images are differnt. A signature pops it up each and every time that person posts.
bunyan
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bunyan »

Im a dialup user. Lemme go vote :-)
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe - Surrendered to the rust gods
1965 Lincoln Continental Sedan - Work in progress
dmitchell

Photo Albums, Avators & Dial-Up

Post by dmitchell »

Deco wrote:
I'm against Avatars. They enevitably get more elaborate.
I agree.

Then worte:
Why not just go back to an earlier proposal from Dan that we have a section here (photo album) of the members vehicles? That would cut down on the bandwidth load for the ones who use dial-up. And limit the size, and number per member to a reasonable amount since there is no infinte storage.
I think thats a GREAT idea and could solve DB's issue:
I really like inline pics, but what happens when the pic is removed from the host? Someone says, "what is this part?" and post a picutre. A year later the pic is gone and all we get is "what is this part?". Now it's a little red "x" and the thread is useless.
And regarding Dial-up mbhoag:
(there are still people who use dial up?? :wink: )
yes :cry: :cry: :cry: there are those of us that are rural enough to not get cable and are too far away for DSL through the phone lines so... so... :cry: :cry: :cry: yes we still are required the HORROR of dial-up.
1959 Lincoln Continental Conv.
Robert Peak

Post by Robert Peak »

Well I'm a newbie here, and I voted against the avatars... Just don't like them..

Robert
1978 Mark V Cartier 460 A one family owned car..
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mechatech »

My 2 cents worth-

Signature pictures- I'm against them. I've seen too many forum topics cluttered with signature pics. The thread is 3/4 pics and 1/4 messages. Even small pics are a distraction and a pain to scroll through. :x Character sigs are fine. If they do get to big maybe a restriction on number of words or lines?

Avatars- Nice to have, personally I can take it or leave it. Size restriction is good otherwise they can be just as bad as signature pics. Nothing wrong with limiting to just Lincoln pics as it does maintain the theme. (so far the poll shows many who feel the same way)

Inline pictures- Very useful in illustrating a point in a topic. I don't like having to go to gallery in the middle of thread. If the gallery opened in a separate window however, that would work. 640x480 is more than enough (at least for the pics I've posted so far).
1972 Lincoln Continental :smt004
See the restoration. Now... Where does this part go? :smt017 :smt013 :smt102 :smt100

My friend's blog.
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

I don't consider myself as a member here (don't have a LINC)(frequent and usually unwanted guest) and don't consider my say valid, but an AVATAR I think shows the personality of the person who displays one.

On one message board that I frequent and allows them, I use an old Holman-Moody display that demonstrates what flavor car I prefer. I would do the same here, most likely something in a LINC-MERC display.

If done, it would have to be in good taste and approved by The Supreme Board Fairy (Dan) in my opinion. Also, the moniker below the AVATAR should be allowed to be custom (as long as within confines of board).

Mine would read, MERCURY AFFICIANDO (or something to the effect). I don't care for photos in the tag line as this delays load up but a URL to one's photo host or webpage would be a nice touch.
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

There is an image upload plug in for phpBB...maybe we could impliment that.
I like that idea. On another forum there is an option to upload an avatar from your computer. The requirement is that it be no more than 80 pixels high and 80 pixels wide, and not more than 6 kb. I tried it, and it looks great, but I would vote for Lincoln pics only. :wink:
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

scanning avatars

Post by autostick »

Avatars make it easier to scan a thread for a particular person's post. I am in favor of their use. It also adds color and interest allowing people to get creative with Lincoln images.
kook43
Frequent Contributor
Location: west suburbs of St. Louis, MO now, but missing Phoenix, AZ

Post by kook43 »

As an avid photographer, I love seeing pics of other's cars. I do think the use of avatars can get out of control quickly (pets, gang signs, Backstreet Boy pics, your favorite Kool-aide logo) and I support the restriction to just Lincolns.

If most - if not all of us use some form of broadband w/ISP, you do get some hosting space free, even dial-up accounts get some space. Update your signature with links to your own site, and post your larger "hot babe on the hood", or Nash Metropolitan (love that car, but it's not a Lincoln) photos there.

One thing I enjoy about this forum is the classic look of it. Please don't mimic the look of a PT Cruiser :smt096 forum . Lincoln avatars or none.

Kook-
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Yes, Lincolns or nothing! Check out this link to another forum where I have an avatar. This one only works for me here because I was able to re-size it and upload it directly from my computer. I tried to upload it from Car Domain, and they put there logo on it which covered up the picture, I tried uploading from another site but the resolution got screwed up in the transfer.
http://diceautomotive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20
Be patient, it may take a while to load.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation