Mr. Tedeschi's Mark II convertible?

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

Barry -

I remember that thread, think it was Brian who recalled seeing the car, but may have been one of the other guys originally from the Boston area. I couldn't find the thread either, must have bitten the dust when the board went down.

[ May 23, 2004: Message edited by: Lugnut ]
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

I started that thread and we were discussing the burgandy 56 or 57 mark II convertible owned by Mr Tedeschi of Norwood Ma.
Both myself and Brian who used to live in the suburbs of Boston had seen this car on different ocasions When we were younger.
I can't be sure about wheather it had a soft or hard boot, but I do recall it was the same tan color as the interior.
I think what I remember most about that car was that it was so shiny and clean., and so rare, that seeing it was an experience.
Barry, have you been able to come up with any more information on this car?
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

There was a thread going about the existance of another early Mark II convertible. That thread has disappeared.

Someone stated that they had seen this car as a new car in 1956 and that it was Burgundy with a tan top and interior.

I believe the last reply stated that it had a soft boot that matched the leather interior. In my research about my car I have found several references to a Burgundy Mark II convertible.

Where is Mr. Tedeschi's Mark II convertible?

Barry Wolk
Farmington Hills, MI

1956 Continental Mark II convertible

[ May 24, 2004: Message edited by: barry2952 ]
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

Bob,

Was it Norwood or Norwell? I found a bunch of Tedeschis' in Norwell.

barry
Vitas
No Longer With Us

Post by Vitas »

"Tedeschi Food Shops is a third generation family-owned and operated convenience retailer headquartered in Rockland, Massachusetts. The company operates 219 corporate and franchised stores in four New England states under the banners of Tedeschi Food Shops, Li'L Peach and Store 24. The combined operation is the second largest in Massachusetts and the third largest in New England."

http://www.j winsperandco.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/343

Rockland:

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?csz=Rockland%2C+MA&state=MA&uzip=02370&d s=n&na me=&desc=&ed=O0.Vs.p_0TqkRytv5I19grG0RRS7JVWtfNZwxlyVFPOomXPHqVxbqOzo7uAvlqUwhRE ._liVtSPoNO8iFxFA9uiDLA--&zoomin=yes&BFKey=&resize=s&mag=6

Click East from that map one click and you will see Norwell; click West from the map one click and you will see Brockton.

[ May 24, 2004: Message edited by: Vitas ]
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

I am sure Mr. Tedeschi and family lived in the town of Norwood not Norwell.
I used to work in the town of Norwood when I first saw this mark II.
Ocasionally I would see the car at different places in Norwood and my home town of Avon, which is just north of Brockton.
Someone ( I can't recall who) while working in Norwood told me that the person who owned the mark II was named Tedeschi, and owned a bunch of grocery stores in the area.
As I stated in the thread that disappeared, I had recently taken delivery of my new 57 ford convertible in october of 1956 and that is about the time I first saw the mark II.
If it were a 57 instead of 56 then, it was new in october of 56, just like my ford.
At the time, I would guess Mr. Tedeschi was in his late thirties/ early forties.
The two things I am very sure about is the exterior was burgandy, the top and interior were tan.
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

I have forwarded correspondence onto the Tedeschi family enlisting their help.

Thanks Vitas. That helped a lot.

Barry

Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

I too have a friend in the Abington/ Whitman/ Rockland area and I just emailed him asking him to look into the family.
He would be in a position to help because I remember him telling me years ago that one of his classmates was a Tedeschi, just what generation I can't say but, he was well aware that the Tedeschi family was very wealthy and, they were scattered through the area.
It is possible that some of them lived, or still live in the town of Norwell which is not too far from Abington or Whitman or Rockland.
Researching the history of this great automobile is challanging to say the leaste but, a lot of fun.
It will be interesting to see if Barry's Lincoln is indeed one in the same as the one owned by the Tedeschi's
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

Mr. Tedeschi's car could very well be my car. I have a draft of an article on the back of stationary from Holy Redeemer Health Systems. The author is unknown. It was passed to me by the previous owner and restorer of my car.

In the article the author states that my car, serial number C5681126, was originally painted black, and then maroon and then green. I can document the black and the green but I lack proof of the Maroon statement.

I can only document the history of my car back to January of 1963. The LCOC had sent out questionaires to all known Mark II owners. The owner, at that time, was a Mr. Hogan. He stated that he did not know any of the previous owners nor the history of the car.

He stated that he bought it in January of 1963 and it was black with a black interior, just as it came from the factory.

I just recently received copies of photographs that were taken of my car when it was purchased by Mr. Hogan in 1963. In fact, the car has a 1962 plate on it which would have expired in March of 1963. The car, in that picture, is black with a black interior.

The info in the LCOC 1966 questionaire, handwritten by Mr. Hogan, states that the car was currently being repainted from black to a dark green. It also said that the top was to be refitted from black vinyl to tan Mercedes material.

Apparently, from the newly received pictures, the convertible top and interior were not done until sometime later.

A later picture from the same group showed the car with a green exterior and a black interior. Sometime before Dennis Adler wrote his article, posted on this web site, the interior color was changed from black to tan as it is seen in the color photos of that 1978 article.

What line of work was Mr. Tedeschi in? First name? Street names? Kid's names?

Barry

briven95
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by briven95 »

I believe the Tedeschi home was in Norwell. I grew in Kingston, MA, and remember when the Tedeschi home was built. It's visible when traveling north on Rte. 3 past the Rte 139 exit. It's high on the hill northeast of the highway above the tidal marsh and river. It's a large white house surrounded by woods. It would quite amazing if that's Barry's car. It would mean that the car and I left the South Shore of Massachusetts and ended up in Farmington Hills, MI!
briven95
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by briven95 »

I believe the Tedeschi home was in Norwell. I grew in Kingston, MA, and remember when the Tedeschi home was built. It's visible when traveling north on Rte. 3 past the Rte 139 exit. It's high on the hill northeast of the highway above the tidal marsh and river. It's a large white house surrounded by woods. It would quite amazing if that's Barry's car. It would mean that the car and I left the South Shore of Massachusetts and ended up in Farmington Hills, MI!
princessmaggie
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by princessmaggie »

May be unrelated, but I know a Tedeschi here in Richmond. He's a veterinarian. Want me to check into it for you?
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

Sure!
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

Barry, one would almost think that "things" were wrapped up as a result of your conversation with that represenative of the Tedeschi business.
I say, not so fast.
To begin with, there is nothing in this wide world that would make me belive the facts are any different from the way I first described them in earlier post.
That markII convertible did exist, it was burgandy with a tan interior and top, it was declared to be ownd by a successful businessman in Massachusetts by the name of Tedeschi who happened to own a chain of grocery stores.
As with all communications, facts do have a way of becomming embelished through error or down right lies.
When I first saw that mark II I was in my ford comming back from work in Norwood.
It was headed in the direction of Norwood and I headed to my home town of Avon(about 12 miles east of Norwood.)
On many occasions after that I would see that car in the area.(more often than not, in the town of norwood or the next town to the east named Canton.
I asked an associate of mine familiar with the town of Norwood and some of it's citizens, "who's the guy in the mark II convert"?
He told me it was a Mr Tedeschi who lived in the town and he was sure it was the same one that owned the grocery store chain.
Now, let us skip ahead to today.
Out of the blue, you, being unknown to the Tedeschi's decide to contact them with an honest quest for information concerning your mark II.
Sounds ligetimate enough but, one needs to bear in mind that in today's troubled, terriorist infested, identy theiving world, one (especially one with much wealth) has to be careful when handing out information regarding family history.
That women you contacted doesn't know you from a brick in the wall.
Were it I, I proably would have said the same as she did.
I would not devulge private information of any kind about my employer and I am sure she was doing the same by answering in the negative. You have gotten me , and others on this board, very interested in chasing down the history of such a rare automobile as your's.
The fact that one of these rare cars was owned and seen almost daily in my area when I was younger only adds to the quest to trace it's history completely.
Again, I would not take what that represenative told you as gospel.
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

I just got this reply from Tedeschi Foods:

Hi Barry,

It was nice speaking with you this afternoon. I can understand how fascinating it must be to track the history of your Continental Mark II. I'm sorry to say that I've check with all branches of the family, and I've struck out. It is no one from this Tedeschi Family who owned your car. As I said to you before, this family originates from the South Shore of Boston. No one ever came from or near Norwood, MA.

Sorry we weren't able to be of help. Good luck in your search.

Dottie Quinn
Executive Assistant
Tedeschi Food Shops, Inc.
14 Howard Street
Rockland, MA 02370
Tel: 781-878-8210 Ext. 321
Fax: 781-871-0255
E-mail: dquinn@tedeschifoodshops.com

Brick wall or minor diversion? Somehow, I don't think we're done with this connection.

Barry