Mr. Tedeschi's Mark II convertible?

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

BRIAN O'KEEFE
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by BRIAN O'KEEFE »

There were several brothers in the Tedeschi family involved with the stores. Later on the supermarkets were sold to Stop and Shop, a large New England grocery chain, but the convenience stores remained in the Tedeschi family. The brother that owned the Mark II lived in Norwood, and knew my friend from WEZE radio in Boston well-he also owned a Lincoln and both bought their cars (I believe) at Owen Motors, a L/M dealer on Rte 1 in Norwood.
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

I wonder if we have the wrong branch of the Tedeschi family. I will research that possibility.

This whole search has yeilded some new information about my car and a likely origin of Mr. Tedeschi's Mark II convertible.

The authentification letter I received from Art Sears, 39 year employee of Hess & Eisenhardt, ended with the sentence that speaks of the company making (2) convertibles and modifying (3) coupes.

I had always believed that he meant the original Mark II chassis prototype referred to as the "cobbled car" was the first convertible and mine was the second.

I called Art today and asked him what color my car was when it left H & E. He remembered that one of the cars was black, but he couldn't remember what color the other car was.

I questioned him further on the other Mark II convertible and he confirmed that the other car was not the "cobbled car", but a finished roadgoing convertible, just like mine. He's going to ask some of the "oldtimers" if any of them remember what color the other car was.

I spoke to Bob Culver of the Road Race Lincoln Register. He sent the LCOC a letter confirming some of the history of my car. He sent pictures from 1963 that clearly show that it was a black car. The letter and pictures are posted at:

http://members.cardomain.com/barry2952

on page 6, I think.

He also told an intersting story about his friend, Mr Hogan. He said that he gave the car to a friend to take to Miami to sell and he never saw the car or the money or the friend, ever again. I could have a stolen car!!!

Back to Mr. Tedeschi. I'll proceed with my research without making too many people nervous. This story will make a great article.

Barry
BRIAN O'KEEFE
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by BRIAN O'KEEFE »

I'm going up to Maine in July to see my friend from Norwood, Ma. who knew Mr. Tedeschi. I'll ask him what he knows about that and get back with you. I'm going to also help him restore his '69 Lincoln 4dr sedan. He juat got a computer, so we may have a new member here.
Eddie Hudson
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Eddie Hudson »

Brian
Why don't you just call your buddy up and ask him the guy's first name and any other info that Barry can use. [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
If Barry had a first name, he could start tracking the mysterious owner down using old phone books (and new).
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

I couldn't wait until July so I contacted Owen Motors and talked to a car guy who is making some inquiries for me. I also have a call in to the city manager of Norwood, MA.

Brian, you probably did see a Tedeschi home being built in Norwell as there are a bunch of them there.

Barry

[ May 28, 2004: Message edited by: barry2952 ]
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

A first name would be really helpful.

I just spent the last hour speaking to Marie Tedeschi, wife of 89 year old Dominic. She was really open and knew the family history.

She told me that all the Tedeschis' involved in the grocery business lived in the Norwell. She knew of no Tedeschi family members that had any connection to Norwood (that she knew of).

She remembers all the family member's cars from that era and she said she would have remembered a Mark II convertible.

It it possible that someone else in Norwood was mistaken for Mr. Tedeschi? I'm still waiting to hear back from the Norwood City manager and the guy from Owen Motors.

Barry

http://members.cardomain.com/barry2952] ... onvertible
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

Barry, Did the dealer from Norwood ever get back to you?
Even if they did, I think it would be next to impossible that they would keep records dating back that far.
I am hoping that they have so that we can find the real owner of that burgandy mark II.
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

I did get a response. It was just to tell me that he hadn't received any new info, but he is still trying.

He did tell me that he went to a cruise where he was asking about the car and some idiot was arguing that there was only 1 factory authorized Mark II convertible. He said it almost came to blows until he showed him the articles I faxed him.

I'm thinking about spending a couple of bucks and hiring a PI from the Norwood area. This is just too interesting to let die.

Barry

Mark II convertible
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

I found this picture in "Fabulous Cars of the '50s". It appears that this is the car that is now in Sweden. The current owner is convinced that the car was owned by Elvis.:roll:

I've e-mailed the author of the book to see if there was any history that he knew of. I've received no response.

It's interesting that this car is exactly the reverse color combination reported by others on this site.

What led to the post was a contact from a writer for a Swedish car magazine called Gasoline Magazine. They wanted to use some studio shots of my Mark II.

I asked whether he had heard about another Mark II convertible and he told me that he had seen an ad in a Swedish car magazine about 15 years ago. Someone else told me that they had also seen an ad in Hemming's Motor News about the same time period.

The writer told me his editor had seen the car and it was in very poor shape. It is in the collection of a '50s convertible fanatic that won't let anyone see his collection. :roll:

I've asked for the serial number of the car in Sweden to see if it matches the Ford document I have questioning the damage to three cars in transit from Detroit to Chicago.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
DB
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by DB »

Sounds like a good excuse to take a trip to Sweden!
Maybe the writer for the magazine can help you out since you have something he wants.
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

Nice looking car in that color (or any color :D )
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

Being a teen in the fifties, I followed the career of Mr. Presley as did most teens.
I know he had many vehicles from Cadillac to Stutz Blackhawk, But I never heard of him owning a continental MKII convertible.
I think I remember something about a coupe, but never a convertible markII.
As with the Tedeschi convertible, I admired these cars so much that I would have remembered if Mr. Presley had a convertible.
That is a great looking convertible from Sweden, but I doubt Mr. Presley ever owned it.
Bob.
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

There's no mention anywhere of Elvis having anything other than a stock white Mark II.

I'm beginning to think that the car in Sweden is not the car I'm looking for. Both of the serial numbers I'm looking for are cars that did not have a/c. This car clearly does.

toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

However, anyone who had the financial capacity to have a convertible Mark II, certainly could afford the addition of AC, and make it look stock .
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

If you look closely you'll see the intake "nostrils" in the front of the rear fender. Those were only installed on air conditioned cars. They found that they didn't work well in hot climates so they were removed very early in production. They eliminated fresh air intake and made it a recirculating system.

Someone would have had to cut the intakes from a donor and artfully install them on a convertible.

My car didn't have factory air. It had an under-dash unit. There's a hole in the firewall behind the battery where the hoses used to pass through.