Our ‘66 Convertible Project

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Re: Our ‘66 Convertible Project

Post by blaroche »

Speaking of manifolds… we discovered a substantial crack on the passenger side exhaust manifold. We will most likely replace both out of preventative practice while the engine is out. Made some good progress removing front accessories, what a grimy engine! Heads will go to the machine shop on Monday. On another note, discovered we have a C8V part number on the ATC brain, so quite happy about that!
IMG_3838.jpeg
IMG_3939.jpeg
IMG_3940.jpeg
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Have you discovered whether it was a stuck, or a burnt valve?

It seems like almost all those manifolds crack after 60 years of thermal cycling (which would also make me nervous using them for pulling), but the re-pops are pretty good quality. You'll probably have to make do with less-than-OEM quality on the gaskets, however.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Post by blaroche »

Lee wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:49 pm Have you discovered whether it was a stuck, or a burnt valve?

It seems like almost all those manifolds crack after 60 years of thermal cycling (which would also make me nervous using them for pulling), but the re-pops are pretty good quality. You'll probably have to make do with less-than-OEM quality on the gaskets, however.
We haven’t determined the valve issue yet, but I will update once the heads are off a little later in the week. Glad to know the reproductions are good quality, as our 67 sedan has a slight crack in one of its manifolds that we will need to address at some point.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I’ve got at least one original manifold that I’d like to part with if you are interested. Already machined, threads cleaned/fixed, stripped and coated manifold gray.

Excellent news on the C8 ATC brain. That should save you some grief.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Post by blaroche »

LithiumCobalt wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:25 am I’ve got at least one original manifold that I’d like to part with if you are interested. Already machined, threads cleaned/fixed, stripped and coated manifold gray.

Excellent news on the C8 ATC brain. That should save you some grief.
Nick, thank you very much for the offer. I think we may pass for the time being as we plan on getting both new from Jack Rosen. He’s pretty close by us so shipping from him is usually one day and pretty reasonable. But after this convertible is buttoned up I may reach back out about the manifold for our ‘67. Thanks again!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Use anti-seize on the gasket surfaces when installing exhaust manifolds and they should jot ever crack.

Ford just have had a bad manifold designer because the 430s/462s and 460s had problems from 58 until 1974/75.
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Post by blaroche »

Dan Szwarc wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:13 am Use anti-seize on the gasket surfaces when installing exhaust manifolds and they should not ever crack.

Ford just have had a bad manifold designer because the 430s/462s and 460s had problems from 58 until 1974/75.
Dan, thank you for the tip, I appreciate it!
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Post by blaroche »

Found the culprit of our low compression cylinder! A burnt or damaged exhaust valve. Looks almost like it was chipped by something. Regardless, heads are off and ready to go to the machine shop. Now on to cleaning, degreasing, etc.
IMG_3952.jpeg
IMG_3953.jpeg
IMG_3957.jpeg
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Time for hardened valve seats.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Do be sure to check your rocker arm shafts for built-up sludge inside. I lost a couple of rockers shortly after I got my ‘62…one was completely plugged, and no oil was getting back to #4.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Post by blaroche »

Dan and Lee, thanks for the tips! We are planning on the hardened valve seats and will be sure to check and clean rocker shaft assemblies.
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Post by blaroche »

Heads were dropped off at the machine shop today. Radiator and heater core were dropped off at the radiator shop as well. Power steering pump and front cover were removed. Yikes! Original timing gears, the nylon on the camshaft gear was completely gone. Lots of slack in the chain. Aside from this, I painted the new water pump. Making progress.
IMG_4041.jpeg
IMG_4038.jpeg
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

You'll find all that nylon in the pan, and consider yourself lucky that a chunk didn't make it into the oil pump gears.

Might be a easy time to swap the pump out for a high volume model.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Post by blaroche »

Lee wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:04 pm You'll find all that nylon in the pan, and consider yourself lucky that a chunk didn't make it into the oil pump gears.

Might be a easy time to swap the pump out for a high volume model.
Thanks, Lee. We will plan on the high volume oil pump. Do you happen to have a part number or know who to purchase the pump through? I appreciate it!
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Lots of choices through Rockauto. I have the Melling HV in mine.
Attachments
IMG_0451.PNG
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe