1965 emergency flasher switch handle?

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Tmiller6

1965 emergency flasher switch handle?

Post by Tmiller6 »

I have my lower dash off and my emergency flasher switch is irksome. It’s missing the knob and it only has a 1/2” serrated blade.

What does the knob look like? Chrome? Black? Plastic?

If I know what it looks like, I can probably fabricate one.

Thanks for any assistance.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 1965 emergency flasher switch handle?

Post by TonyC »

Trying to get a picture in my head, and can't. :smt017 :smt009. Can you help out with visual aids? I've never heard of any hazard setup that used a handle or a knob for operation; it's always been a pushbutton of sorts. On the other hand, '65 was the first year hazards were offered (as an extra-cost option), so who knows how it was designed...?

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Some time ago, there was one sold on EBay that appears to be black plastic. It doesn’t appear to be the metal toggle used in Mustangs, trucks, etc.
Attachments
IMG_0573.jpeg
IMG_0573.jpeg (35.97 KiB) Viewed 236 times
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I didn't even know 65s HAD an emergency flasher! I thought it was a kludge add-on in 1966 with the button being hidden inside the glove box!
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

I will try to get a better pic then the eBay one above although that is not a bad picture. My buddy has a brand new NOS with the instructions he installed on his '65 sedan and I have one minus the actual switch cover. I have yet to install mine which has been on my install list. My understanding was '65 was the first year you could get it as an option. I have one for my '64 but it is from a Ford emergency services vehicle so it is not factory.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

The 65 owners manual shows it, but it’s not a sharp illustration. There it looks like the typical small round metal toggle.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I added a 1960's Ford truck flasher set-up to my 1963 Lincoln. This is exact set-up I used. I removed the black plastic knob and replaced it with a 1963 radio knob, so it would match the rest of knobs on dash. Looks correct and works, too!
My old thread on here has had the pictures purged, but the post is still there. Hazard light set-up 60's Lincoln

Here are pics of hazard light. Not at vehicle, so dont have any ones of it mounted, but can post some later, if someone wants to see.
Attachments
fomoco.jpg
fomoco.jpg (15.95 KiB) Viewed 213 times
flasher.jpg
flasher.jpg (6.04 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
Tmiller6

Post by Tmiller6 »

Here is mine with only the serrated stub. The other switch is for my convertible top. I’m guessing the handle got kicked loose back in the sixties.
IMG_7116.jpeg
Tom Miller
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

If it helps anyone here is a video I made showing my flasher setup and discussing it. https://youtu.be/UVOaDM7F8Gk

Here are some images from the truck kit I purchased for my '64. When I take the bottom dash out again I am going to install it. It looks like someone else posted another photo. I am pretty sure the end is just that black rubber piece which again I am missing from mine.

ImageEmergency Hazard Lights by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Tmiller6 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:25 pm Here is mine with only the serrated stub. The other switch is for my convertible top. I’m guessing the handle got kicked loose back in the sixties.

IMG_7116.jpeg

Tom Miller
I occasionally build guitars, and if you don’t want to mess around with fabricating a knob, that shaft looks very similar to the Fender Telecaster pickup switch, and there are lots of custom parts available there…you might find something close.
Attachments
IMG_0575.jpeg
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
Tmiller6

Post by Tmiller6 »

Thank you to everyone particularly Lee for the photo of what I’m looking for.

Amazon presented me with a few candidate parts. I searched Toggle Switch Extensions and found a few possibilities. There are also listings for black Delrin rod.

My wife told me to take today off from my workshop and shovel the snow.

Tom Miller
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Here is a broken switch from a '67 truck, glovebox mounted. It is likely not unique to trucks, but obviously not a black plastic toggle, like you want. If you figure it's close enough, you can have it for about ten bucks for shipping.
DSCF9335.JPG
The back of the switch is missing, only the toggle is of any use, so that's all I will send, unless you want more.

Edit, dis assembled
DSCF9339.JPG
DSCF9339.JPG (39.82 KiB) Viewed 134 times
Steven, that is a '66 push\pull switch, '67-8 truck was a toggle, then back to a push/pull in '70, but dash mounted then. Looking closer at the picture Lee posted, I cannot say if that is a plastic toggle, or just a protective sheath, on a NOS part, to protect the finish.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”