Two electric issues at once. Coincidence or related?

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

PalomarBlue

Two electric issues at once. Coincidence or related?

Post by PalomarBlue »

Asking for thoughts on two issues that surfaced at the same time and am wondering if they might be related.
1) All of the Power windows can only be operated by using the Window Bypass Switch. First thought of course was the Window Safety Relay. Replacing the Relay didn't correct the issue. Jumping the Relay Plug now has all of the Windows working all the time which is great, but didn't address the problem.
2) The Top up/down switch on the Dash stopped working, but the one on the Quarter Panel works just fine with the Key.
Thank you and I appreciate any suggestions.
Steve
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Two electric issues at once. Coincidence or related?

Post by frasern »

I know it sounds weird, but check fuse #6, speed control. The window safety and top both feed from it as well, or they do in '67 anyway.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
PalomarBlue

Post by PalomarBlue »

Thanks Fraser, often the most obvious is overlooked. All Fuses are good but switched that one out anyway. Looks more like it's Relay related... .
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

My '66 shop manual wiring schematics are terrible, the '67 manual is a little better.
The window relay has 3 wires and a grounded case, the yellow and brown wire is hot, from battery, red wire is the trigger, it receives power from the ign switch the other wire, red blue, is to power the windows.
If you check the red wire, at the relay, it should turn on and off with the ignition, the top neutral relay also feeds off this wire. I think you may have a loose plug along that wires path.

The coloured schematic in Dans 3rd link sort of shows this, it is the diagram that is missing from the '66 manual.
( I was wrong about the speed control fuse, that is only for '67, it seems in '66 there was a circuit breaker instead )
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

A possible reason for your dash top up/down switch not working is the neutral safety relay in the box on the inner front fender well, driver's side is bad. Was on my '66. Key switch at gas tank will work as it is wired direct to battery. The one at the gas tank does not work off the neutral safety relay.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”