Pull the engine to replace the timing chain?

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Pull the engine to replace the timing chain?

Post by John Mc »

Guys, question please and the archives pretty well tells me what to do, so I’m just confirming. My ‘77 Town Coupe needs a timing chain. 73,000 miles and it runs terribly with only 75-80lbs on each cylinder.
I’m thinking of removing the engine instead of just the chain replacement. Why?
First I think I’d be in traction after bending over that long, plus I would pull the pan clean the pump, replace core plugs, replace valve stem seals, paint and detail the block etc. all on a stand. I’d remove the trans too.
Good idea??
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Pull the engine to replace the timing chain?

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I thought cylinder pressures should be in the 100-120 psi range. So... I'd agree with a rebuild.

Why not do the full wet and dry and leakdown cylinder tests and then report back? I hate rebuilding motors before their time as it's such a waste of money when it could be put off for many years if barely driven.
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

It probably just needs a valve job. Valve seals and seats will cause low compression. When you pull the oil fill cap off the valve cover when its running is there a lot of smoke and pressure coming out?
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Dan Szwarc wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:50 pm I thought cylinder pressures should be in the 100-120 psi range. So... I'd agree with a rebuild.

Why not do the full wet and dry and leakdown cylinder tests and then report back? I hate rebuilding motors before their time as it's such a waste of money when it could be put off for many years if barely driven.

Yes pressure should be 140-160, so I’m way off. I would do a total rebuild, probably just clean and replace the valve stem seals, which are probably hard as wood at this point.
I
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:22 pm It probably just needs a valve job. Valve seals and seats will cause low compression. When you pull the oil fill cap off the valve cover when its running is there a lot of smoke and pressure coming out?
Some blowby, but not bad, it just runs terribly, so bad I’m thinking it could only be a timing chain issue. Either it’s super loose or it has jumped. The car shakes violently at idle. Can’t think of another thing that could be the cause.
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Misfire is the first thing to check. Distributor play? Cross-firing spark plug wires? Carbon tracked dist. cap?

John, does your 77 have original style blue spark plug wires with the numbers? I have a used set somewhere I can send you.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

A jumped timing chain could easily cause low compression. All the valve opening and closing intervals would be late. If you need it, I can get you the actual intake BTDC opening degrees, you can pull the passenger valve cover and check. But you can also get a rough idea but checking where the distributor rotor is pointing when you're on TDC. Given that all cylinders are low, that's my bet. Usually valves won't be equally bad, so you'll have high and low cylinders. Squirt some oil in each cylinder, and if they don't raise much, I'd say the timing chain is almost guaranteed.

If you are the type to pull the engine for a timing chain (I'm not making judgements!), you'll suddenly realize that you might as well replace the engine and tranny mounts, replace the radiator hoses, maybe new hydroboost lines, blast the exhaust manifolds, paint the engine bay, etc. etc. and pretty soon its a major project. Its happened to me.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

There are all kinds of tests to run with the motor in the car that can isolate leaky valves from bad rings to bad valve seals.

Put in a nice double roller timing chain while you’re in there.
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

I started the car this morning to check the timing. The ignition timing is set at 8 degrees.
Interestingly the car ran pretty well with the vacuum that feeds the distributor blocked off. Once reconnected the rpm’s went up and the 460 ran ,much rougher. I assume then there is a bad vacuum leak somewhere?
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Check the vacuum advance on the distributor with your mouth or a vacuum tester. It may be that simple.
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

I started the car this morning to check the timing. The ignition timing is set at 8 degrees.
Interestingly the car ran pretty well with the vacuum that feeds the distributor blocked off. Once reconnected the rpm’s went up and the 460 ran ,much rougher. I assume then there is a bad vacuum leak somewhere?
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Dan Szwarc wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:06 pm Check the vacuum advance on the distributor with your mouth or a vacuum tester. It may be that simple.
It’s a new distributor and the vacuum system is spot on
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Dan Szwarc wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:59 pm Misfire is the first thing to check. Distributor play? Cross-firing spark plug wires? Carbon tracked dist. cap?

John, does your 77 have original style blue spark plug wires with the numbers? I have a used set somewhere I can send you.
Thanks Dan, but I have installed all new Motorcraft wires and plugs
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You know, being n ew used to rule things out, but nowadays, I don't trust anything.

To isolate vacuum, do exactly that: Isolate each system. Door locks, headlamps, cruise control, HVAC.

What about the pickup in the distributor? Can you verify spark pulses at all cylinders when it's running rough?
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Dan Szwarc wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:16 pm You know, being n ew used to rule things out, but nowadays, I don't trust anything.

To isolate vacuum, do exactly that: Isolate each system. Door locks, headlamps, cruise control, HVAC.

What about the pickup in the distributor? Can you verify spark pulses at all cylinders when it's running rough?

Yes, I need to do both of those items. Good hit Dan.
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC