Anyone have this trunk lock part?

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Anyone have this trunk lock part?

Post by John Mc »

This is the bracket that holds the trunk lock in place on the deck lid. I need one, anyone have an extra? I would guess 1975-1979 would all be the same. I need one for my 1977.
Attachments
IMG_0240.jpeg
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Anyone have this trunk lock part?

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Alas, I sold Rusty a long time ago. He was turned into a Batmobile in California.
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Dan Szwarc wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:37 pm Alas, I sold Rusty a long time ago. He was turned into a Batmobile in California.
😥
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I can't promise anything; but if memory serves, my go-to in Seguin should have a couple organ donors of that period. Maybe one of them will still have that plate. I can check come Monday if you wish, as I have to go out there anyway to snag some window stoppers for Frankenstein, to replace the ones with stripped threads.

That is, presuming that somebody else doesn't fulfill your need by then.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

The batmobile guy probably took that part off when he installed the booster rocket.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

TonyC wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:15 pm I can't promise anything; but if memory serves, my go-to in Seguin should have a couple organ donors of that period. Maybe one of them will still have that plate. I can check come Monday if you wish, as I have to go out there anyway to snag some window stoppers for Frankenstein, to replace the ones with stripped threads.

That is, presuming that somebody else doesn't fulfill your need by then.

---Tony
Thank would be great Tony! Thanks.
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

:smt023 My pleasure, John. I'll try to make it out there come Monday, weather permitting, and keep you informed on what I find. The picture here helps to match up what I'd be looking for.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

How does one "lose" this trunk bracket? Was the previous owner a... moron?
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Dan Szwarc wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:35 am How does one "lose" this trunk bracket? Was the previous owner a... moron?
Yes, without a doubt. The lock cylinder was missing completely.
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

That does not surprise me, really...aggravate, yes, not surprise.

I didn't make it to the yard on time today. I started out a bit late, and then traffic backed up by road destruction made it too late by the time I got to Seguin. I'll try again tomorrow, significantly earlier.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

TonyC wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:46 pm That does not surprise me, really...aggravate, yes, not surprise.

I didn't make it to the yard on time today. I started out a bit late, and then traffic backed up by road destruction made it too late by the time I got to Seguin. I'll try again tomorrow, significantly earlier.

---Tony
No problem Tony, l thank you for the follow up
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

My pleasure, John. I'm at the yard now as I post this, and here's what I found, already removed and sitting in the trunk of a '78/9 donor.

---Tony

Update: I got it, so I'll see about getting it out to you. PM your mailing info to me; with a little luck I can send it to you this week.

I discovered something about this plate, which should prove to be interesting info for other owners. It's only used for certain on '77–'79 cars; the yard had two '78/9 cars, one of which still had this plate, and being that John's is a '77 that confirms the years of this design application. It is not present on '76 or older cars; the lids on those years are built to accommodate the latch directly to them. Not sure why Lincoln switched to indirect attachment via a bolted plate–maybe, possibly, to make for easier servicing like replacing a lock cylinder (as my old mentor used to sarcastically say, "Better ideas by Ford," right? :lol:)–but that's how it is. Seeing how the setup was, that lends more credence to Dan's question above: How can one possibly miss or lose this plate?! It's the only thing securing the latch to the lid; the latch cannot be installed without it.

---Tony
Attachments
Trunk Latch Plate
Trunk Latch Plate
"Question Authority!"

John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

TonyC wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:24 pm My pleasure, John. I'm at the yard now as I post this, and here's what I found, already removed and sitting in the trunk of a '78/9 donor.

---Tony

Update: I got it, so I'll see about getting it out to you. PM your mailing info to me; with a little luck I can send it to you this week.

I discovered something about this plate, which should prove to be interesting info for other owners. It's only used for certain on '77–'79 cars; the yard had two '78/9 cars, one of which still had this plate, and being that John's is a '77 that confirms the years of this design application. It is not present on '76 or older cars; the lids on those years are built to accommodate the latch directly to them. Not sure why Lincoln switched to indirect attachment via a bolted plate–maybe, possibly, to make for easier servicing like replacing a lock cylinder (as my old mentor used to sarcastically say, "Better ideas by Ford," right? :lol:)–but that's how it is. Seeing how the setup was, that lends more credence to Dan's question above: How can one possibly miss or lose this plate?! It's the only thing securing the latch to the lid; the latch cannot be installed without it.

---Tony
That’s awesome Tony, I’ll PM you
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

All, as a final update, while Tony sent me the part I was looking for, as it turns out, it was not needed. Since my ‘77 Black Diamond had the piece, I logically thought I was having trunk lock issues was because the piece was missing on my ‘77 Glass Top.
Not sure why, but some ‘77’s have it and some do not.
Turns out my initial problem was that the rod that links the lock cylinder to the locking mechanism needed to be bent………sort of like a hockey stick.
Weird, but it all works now. If anyone can shed light on this subject, I would like to know. BTW, the bolt holes on the bracke that Tony sent me would not line up with my decklid.
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Is there a stamped part number on either bracket, John? I can look them up in the MPC.

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”