If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Cyclonewill

Post by Cyclonewill »

Just joined your fine forum, thanks for having me.

I'm no stranger to Lincolns, as my dad had a few when I was growing up, starting with a Mark VI. I've had plenty of Ford vehicles myself, up until this year when my search for a MarkIII ended with a beautiful blue 70.

After a few mechanical repairs it was on the road for it's unveiling at the local cruise night when it was the victim of inattentive drivers, and three cars piling up into it.

Fortunately all were insured, and no one was seriously injured.

So now I have a deep hatred for the general public, and the need for another MarkIII.

Thanks again for having me, and I hope I can be a beneficial part of the page.
-Will
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: New member

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Welcome cyclone. Sorry to hear of your misfortune with the accident. Glad no one hurt. Is the car rebuildable or toast?
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Welcome :smt006 ! I too wish the circumstances were different.

I echo Nick's question: Can it be fixed? Is it at least drivable, or is it disabled? I must warn against taking insurance assessments as gospel, as they do make their money by low-balling victims out of their cars with the "statutory-total" practice. They are a syndicate, after all, so they be doing syndicate shenanigans.

Perhaps we can give a more realistic assessment by seeing what you have to deal with.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Cyclonewill

Post by Cyclonewill »

I bought the car for a good price, so their lowball valuation actually made me a few dollars. I know it is fixable, probably even within my personal ability to repair. But the issue of titling a "rebuilder" and the overall drop in value that comes with it has me on the fence.

And I hate bodywork. I bought this car because it didn't have any secret bondo/rust for me to fix. I don't mind shaping metal, or welding patches, even reconnecting the entire quarter might be fun, but when it comes to finishing it- no thanks.

I have cast a wide net on Facebook looking for a similar car, with the knowledge that the wrecked one can be repaired. I'm not in a hurry, even though I have a need for the comfy cruiser ride that my Mustang or Maverick just can't provide.
-Will
Cyclonewill

Post by Cyclonewill »

Finally found the attachment tab.

Here's a before and after.

It's driveable, just rubs a little on hard corners. The door to quarter gaps still look perfect.
Attachments
20230529_104932.jpg
20230825_175428.jpg
-Will
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

That Maverick wouldn’t be a Grabber with a 302, would it? A friend in high school had one with a bumpy cam, headers and Torker intake. You could easily scare yourself with it.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Are you looking to sell that wrecked Mark iii?
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Cyclonewill

Post by Cyclonewill »

Lee wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:58 pm That Maverick wouldn’t be a Grabber with a 302, would it? A friend in high school had one with a bumpy cam, headers and Torker intake. You could easily scare yourself with it.
It's not a Grabber, but it is an early 70 (69 1/2 to some) with a 302/C4/Gearvendors. It's not "fast" but it's a lot of fun. It serves as the roadtrip car (the role the MarkIII was going to ease into) and has been in 24 states at last count.

I think my Father-in-law was as disappointed as I was when the Mark got torn up, since he had planned on riding in it to Mississippi for Cruising the Coast this year. He wasn't quite as comfortable in the back seat of the Maverick for 600 miles.
Attachments
21740050_10210020486739238_2847105718223200613_n.jpg
-Will
Cyclonewill

Post by Cyclonewill »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:47 pm Are you looking to sell that wrecked Mark iii?

Not at this time.
-Will
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

That will buff out.
Cyclonewill

Post by Cyclonewill »

Dan Szwarc wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:14 pm That will buff out.
It's definitely fixable, but I just don't wanna do it.

A few years ago I'd be all over the project, but after a back surgery, ( and three more projects in the works) I kinda want the instant gratification. Lol
-Will
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Cyclonewill wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:42 pm
Dan Szwarc wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:14 pm That will buff out.
It's definitely fixable, but I just don't wanna do it.

A few years ago I'd be all over the project, but after a back surgery, ( and three more projects in the works) I kinda want the instant gratification. Lol
Are you sure you don't want to sell it? I am in the DFW so not far from you!
71 Lincoln Mark iii
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Indeed, that does look nasty...but, if the car is still drivable, that means it looks worse than it actually is. That is not a total, I don't care what any insurance syndicate says. The frame might be bent in that corner (in fact, I'm sure it is), but maybe not to the degree that it cannot be straightened. Shop around for a body shop that still practices old-school repairs, see what they have to say about the extent. I doubt the insurance syndicate will cover the whole cost, after all they still have those "conferences" in Aruba or Jamaica...but maybe their low-ball settlement will serve as a good down-payment to the repair.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

TonyC wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:11 pm Indeed, that does look nasty...but, if the car is still drivable, that means it looks worse than it actually is. That is not a total, I don't care what any insurance syndicate says. The frame might be bent in that corner (in fact, I'm sure it is), but maybe not to the degree that it cannot be straightened. Shop around for a body shop that still practices old-school repairs, see what they have to say about the extent. I doubt the insurance syndicate will cover the whole cost, after all they still have those "conferences" in Aruba or Jamaica...but maybe their low-ball settlement will serve as a good down-payment to the repair.

---Tony
Remember the Mark iii is worth very little. Looking at the Oklahoma total loss laws for the state shows damage costing more than %60 of the vehicles fair market value is a total loss. Say the FMV for that car is $20k there is definitely more then $12k of damage there. It needs a quarter panel, deck lid, bumper, belt line trim, tail light, tail panel, the trunk floor straightened, and a bunch of other things I can't see. Basically it would be cheaper to find a parts car then sourcing this all on ebay. You have to remember shop rate to do body work and paint gets very very pricey.

I want it for the black interior in it.
71 Lincoln Mark iii
Cyclonewill

Post by Cyclonewill »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:41 pm
I want it for the black interior in it.
Unfortunately it has dark blue interior (which is very nice-9/10)
-Will

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”