Lead paint?

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Jberger501
Occasional Visitor

Lead paint?

Post by Jberger501 »

Did automotive pain contain lead back in the day? I know lead paint was outlawed in 1978, and many of our cars were manufactured before then. I’m wondering if I should wear a respirator when sanding.
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Lead paint?

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Lead or not you should be wearing a quality respirator when using a pneumatic sander.

What all are you trying to sand?
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

The law back in the seventies only really outlawed lead in residential paints, and toys to protect children. Didn’t affect auto paint, and I don’t believe it is completely outlawed even today, although many manufacturers may have removed it voluntarily, or were forced to do so financially. I come from a plastics background, and lead has many benefits, including dazzling red colors and fast cure properties, but the heavy regulation of its manufacture has made it extremely expensive, and there are many regulatory hoops for the end user, such as routine testing of all manufacturing employees in contact with it.

So take prudent precautions, and remember, paint is not the only source when you are sanding…all the manufacturers used metal lead to fill the seams in various places (on slabside Lincolns, you will find a lot in the roof sail panel, where the fenders meet the grille surround, and other spots).
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Automakers used lead in filling joints. Not aware if it was used in paint, so my guess is no.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, another advantage is some degree of insulation from fallout in the event of a nuclear war. :mrgreen:

But seriously, even I will concede how dangerous lead is and why it's been restricted in industrial applications. In fact, I have to wonder just how many illnesses in Boomers and Gen-X'ers could actually be attributed to lead exposure, when it was used in fuels...?

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Jberger501
Occasional Visitor

Post by Jberger501 »

Good point about using a respirator. Another angle: Starting in the 1920’s until the lead was phased out of gasoline, lead was deposited along highways, and in farm fields and much of it is still there. Being an element, it will be there forever.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Jberger501 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:24 pm Good point about using a respirator. Another angle: Starting in the 1920’s until the lead was phased out of gasoline, lead was deposited along highways, and in farm fields and much of it is still there. Being an element, it will be there forever.
And that road side pollution has been replaced with contaminants from catalytic converters.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

If we're going to be alarmists here, let's not forget the asbestos in plastic body filler!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”