1966 Lincoln Continental Timing Chain Replacement

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Re: 1966 Lincoln Continental Timing Chain Replacement

Post by Emas9420 »

So far so good. I’m hoping this issue is behind me. The new issue I have is that I think the oil plug is a bit stripped and the crush washer is old. I tried buying a new one from this link but it’s way TOO small..

Is this the wrong part or did someone put a bigger plug in my pan because it was probably stripping? Anyone know what the correct size oil plug is.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002XIIC ... asin_title
- Emanuel
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

If the drain plug you removed has 1 or 2 "slots" cut into the end, it's oversized already. Back when I was a parts jockey, there were 2 O/S sizes available, but I'm not sure that is still true.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Did the old ones have slots cut into them? The new ones are marked on the head like "M14x1.5 SO" and I know I have seen some marked up to tripple oversized (TO). When you are a real winner of a mechanic you use those piggy back drain plugs in an attempt to stop stripping your oil pan.... The things I find working on Chevy trucks will haunt your dreams..... :smt011
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

It looks like “some” of the new ones have slots, not all. Hey, it’s been well over 40 years…
Attachments
IMG_0618.jpeg
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Post by Emas9420 »

The plug I have has no slots.. maybe it’s not oversized.. but then the one I got from Amazon (which looks to be the same as AUTOZONE etc) is wrong. Anyone know the right parts #?
- Emanuel
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I tapped and did the whole M14x1.5 plug on my 66's 462 oil pan on the car from under. It weeps a tiny bit with copper gaskets.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Good to see, Emanuel; here's hoping that job does stay permanent!

During the rebuild two years ago I did a thing, tapped out the plug hole in the pan to 9/16" while trying to keep the thread pitch the same (I think 24, it's a fine pitch). The original size is 1/2", but with the threads having been stripped I had to go up to the next practical size. I then bought the shortest brass bolt I could find of that size at the local hardware store, which proved not to be short enough...but I was able to trim it down, fix the threading on the end, and use it as my new drain plug. It works very well; with the disposable crush washer it's oil-tight. Of course, to prevent a repeat incident, with every oil change I am very careful to start the threads correctly; then when the bolt is hand-snug, I use my smaller torque wrench and open-end wrench head to torque it to exactly 21 foot-pounds. The manual says the torque range for the OE plug is 20–30 ft.-lbs.; but having tapped out the plug hole I stick to the exact setting of 21 to prevent the risk of stripping it again. There are times I admit to getting nervous when I apply the torque wrench, as it seems to take a while to reach such a low setting; but that's because of the crush washer compressing.

Of course, with all that extreme caution being mandatory, I do all my own oil changes. It's not only a matter of pinching pennies, but also a matter of serious insurance against somebody else's irresponsibility. After all, these old oil pans were never constructed to withstand 200 ft.-lbs. of torque like pans these days are. But Gen-Z'ers at those oil-change kiosks won't know that.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Post by Emas9420 »

Yeah +1 Tony on doing my own oil change.

But does anyone know which is the correct part # for the oil plug? Because the one i bought is way too small.. its actually so much smaller than the hole that it makes me think that obviously its the wrong part, and NOT that someone used an oversized plug.. i used RTV for now, i need to check if it sealed but next oil change im going to have to replace it.
- Emanuel
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Hopefully somebody can prove me wrong, but I don't know if a part number could help as a cross-reference. If I'm wrong, then good. Otherwise, you may have to do what I did: Acquire a bolt of the correct dimensions which I posted above, maybe add a flat washer to help even out the compression on the crush-washer and make for a good seal. If the threads in the pan aren't stripped, then a 1/2", 24-pitch bolt should do the job. If the threads are stripped, you'll need to tap new threads at the next-larger size, which is 9/16". Tapping the pan while it's still on may be possible, but I did mine while it was still out, which made the job easier.

I forgot to mention one dimension: The length. To make it a practical plug, the bolt shaft should be between 3/4" and 1" long. Longer than that will make it too hard to remove for oil changes, and shorter than that may not be enough to fully secure on all the threads.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)