never a dull moment

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

uglydukwling

never a dull moment

Post by uglydukwling »

IMG_0615.JPG
IMG_0616.JPG
This is what happens when the deck lid doesn't open all the way, but the top lowers anyway.

I haven't tried for a permanent repair yet, but the emergency solution was to jump the top-up relay to get the top high enough to disengage from the deck lid, then hold the lid up while the top lowered. The deck lid was easy to move the required few inches by hand (air in the cylinders?)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: never a dull moment

Post by Mike »

Ouch that has to be an oh f*!k moment!
I've never had the chance to play with a convertible one but I thought there were switches to prevent that sort of thing from happening and start the next sequence?
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: never a dull moment

Post by frasern »

As the cylinders operate, they will pump any air back to the reservoir, so trapped air is not the cause. Worn bushings, perhaps, but I think the deck open limit switch could be sticking or way out of adjustment. The top and deck may have been getting closer and closer over time, but just not noticed until they caught.
It's a good looking car, I hope no serious damage resulted.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”