1966 Lincoln Continental A/C Issue

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

1966 Lincoln Continental A/C Issue

Post by Emas9420 »

Hello Again,

So I'm having the following issue with my a/c.

If I turn it on low or high, it blows at the same exact speed no matter what.. It also seems to be blowing from both the middle and a little bit from the bottom.
The de ice and de frost changes the airflow to the windshield.. also 1 speed (full blast) - but cold.

The air blows somewhat cold.. not supper cool and not ambient either.. However, when I move the temp dial to max hot - it blows at exactly the same speed and the temperature does not change.. in other words, it does nothing.

This leads me to believe the problem is with the magical ATC box (brain). If it was only the speed but the temperature worked, I'd narrow it down to the blower (which does make a screeching noise every once in a while), but the fact that the temperature controls are effectively dead other than on off and defrost/deice it makes me think its the actual box.

Anyone had a similar issue with this? I also noticed that when i turn the AC off or on, i can hear the compressor engaging and making a metal on metal screeching/scratching noise, what i assume is the clutch engaging or disengaging.. but it sounds like its dragging on or off so not sure if that's the correct way for it to work or its old or needs something.

I will try to take a video later of the compressor, along with the noise the blower makes and the controls. I tried Lincoln land to see if they rebuild or have 66' atc boxes but they do not, i also emailed someone in Tampa (blair) that does AC but have not heard back. If anyone knows where i can find this box or who rebuilds or at the very least tests it, it i'd appreciate it.
- Emanuel
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1966 Lincoln Continental A/C Issue

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You have automatic temperature control, right?

The problem other than the coldness is caused by the brain/computer in your car. The 1966 and 1967 versions of auto Matic temperature control were garbage from Ford. They had service updates to replace them with 68 control boxes.

There’s a method to convert the 66 and 67 cars to work with the 68 box.

Is the air conditioning compressor clutch activating?
It should click and engage and spin with the pulley. If not, then the problem is likely low Freon. You should have the system checked by a professional. They can do a pressure test and check for leaks, and also evacuate and recharge the system if necessary.

You could also down convert your system to a standard manual air conditioning control unit. You would need a different control brain and a different control panel. I don’t have enough information about how to do that, though, as my 66 does not have air-conditioning at all.

I think Tony did this conversion, or at least looked into it. There might be a thread on how to do it, but good luck trying to find it.
Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Post by Emas9420 »

Dan Szwarc wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:19 pm You have automatic temperature control, right?

The problem other than the coldness is caused by the brain/computer in your car. The 1966 and 1967 versions of auto Matic temperature control were garbage from Ford. They had service updates to replace them with 68 control boxes.

There’s a method to convert the 66 and 67 cars to work with the 68 box.

Is the air conditioning compressor clutch activating?
It should click and engage and spin with the pulley. If not, then the problem is likely low Freon. You should have the system checked by a professional. They can do a pressure test and check for leaks, and also evacuate and recharge the system if necessary.

You could also down convert your system to a standard manual air conditioning control unit. You would need a different control brain and a different control panel. I don’t have enough information about how to do that, though, as my 66 does not have air-conditioning at all.

I think Tony did this conversion, or at least looked into it. There might be a thread on how to do it, but good luck trying to find it.
Yes I read they are garbage.. I also read there are few parts to replace for the 68 to work.. but for the life of me I have not been able to find any part... not an ATC, not the potentiometer, not the resistor.. nothing.. Hopefully if someone knows where I can get any of these parts I'll do the switch.. there's an article on this forum with great instructions of this done.

Yes the clutch engages, I described it as making a slipping, screeching noise when it engages and disengages.. which is why I do technically have air conditioning but its always on full blast and can not regulate temperature.

I want to first fix the control/heater.. once that works, I will take it to a pro to have it charged/oiled etc
- Emanuel
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I obtained most of my parts for the ATC retrofit from Ebay. I provide the part numbers in the write-up that you can use to search on. Before you go that far, though, confirm whether your car has already been updated or not. If it has the 68+ brain in it, there is nothing to update, it probably simply needs a rebuild. If you have the original '66 parts still in your car, good luck. They barely worked correctly when new based on what I've read and heard.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Actually, I never did that conversion; Frankenstein was originally fitted with the manual control, so I never needed to do a conversion. I was just trying to diagnose a heat issue, erroneously thinking the cause was in the controls.

I personally prefer the manual system over the automatic, even if given that the system is in proper working order...but, that's just my preference.

Emanuel, I trust that your A/C is otherwise tightly sealed, that everything in the engine bay is leak-proof? That is usually the cause of A/C problems; the automatic controls can also make it harder to diagnose issues with the A/C components in the engine bay.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Post by Emas9420 »

LithiumCobalt wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:22 pm I obtained most of my parts for the ATC retrofit from Ebay. I provide the part numbers in the write-up that you can use to search on. Before you go that far, though, confirm whether your car has already been updated or not. If it has the 68+ brain in it, there is nothing to update, it probably simply needs a rebuild. If you have the original '66 parts still in your car, good luck. They barely worked correctly when new based on what I've read and heard.
I tried eBay with no luck but I’ll keep an eye out.. when I start taking the dash apart I’ll check the part number for the ATC but I think it’s an original 66 unfortunately :(
- Emanuel
Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Post by Emas9420 »

TonyC wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:35 pm Actually, I never did that conversion; Frankenstein was originally fitted with the manual control, so I never needed to do a conversion. I was just trying to diagnose a heat issue, erroneously thinking the cause was in the controls.

I personally prefer the manual system over the automatic, even if given that the system is in proper working order...but, that's just my preference.

Emanuel, I trust that your A/C is otherwise tightly sealed, that everything in the engine bay is leak-proof? That is usually the cause of A/C problems; the automatic controls can also make it harder to diagnose issues with the A/C components in the engine bay.
Well, I don’t know for a fact yet that it’s all leak proof and tightly sealed… but if it’s not, the problem with the temperature adjusting or the fan only being one speed still exists. So I think I’ll probably tackle this issue first and once I get can heat out and variable fan speeds, I’ll take it to get check for leaks etc.. but I think it’s in good working order from what I can visually see
- Emanuel
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

No need to take the dash apart. The brain is located down by the steering column. If you take a small mirror and light you should be able to locate the part number on the bottom. Check with the usual suspects for parts. Lincoln Land, Green Sales Co, etc
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

If it was only the speed but the temperature worked, I'd narrow it down to the blower (which does make a screeching noise every once in a while)

I just saw this; sorry I missed it the first time I read it. That is a sign of another problem you will have, though not necessarily directly-related to temp selection. The bearings inside the blower motor are giving out, which is typical of these cars after all this time. If you can find somebody who can rebuild electric motors, I'd recommend doing that. I have an old stock blower motor that is in dire need of a rebuild, but where I live now there is nobody that does that kind of work...not for cars, anyway. My solution was to get a replacement that was not actually correct for my car, but it did happen to fit in the plenum save for the air-hose fitting that is supposed to blow air back into the motor to keep it cool. But, I was able to cobble up an effective rerouting for that, and now my blower is silent and (relatively) cool.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Post by Emas9420 »

TonyC wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:04 am
If it was only the speed but the temperature worked, I'd narrow it down to the blower (which does make a screeching noise every once in a while)

I just saw this; sorry I missed it the first time I read it. That is a sign of another problem you will have, though not necessarily directly-related to temp selection. The bearings inside the blower motor are giving out, which is typical of these cars after all this time. If you can find somebody who can rebuild electric motors, I'd recommend doing that. I have an old stock blower motor that is in dire need of a rebuild, but where I live now there is nobody that does that kind of work...not for cars, anyway. My solution was to get a replacement that was not actually correct for my car, but it did happen to fit in the plenum save for the air-hose fitting that is supposed to blow air back into the motor to keep it cool. But, I was able to cobble up an effective rerouting for that, and now my blower is silent and (relatively) cool.

---Tony
I think that may be what I need Tony.. where did you get the replacement? I’ll probably have to get one as well.
- Emanuel
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Actually, the one I run now I got from one of our vets, Fraser Noble ("frasern" on the Forum). When I was complaining about Frankenstein's blower giving me heart palpitations at all random times, Fraser offered me a motor from one of his organ donors, a '68. He did caveat that it was not a factory-correct, clap-door Lincoln motor, and he didn't even know what car that motor was designed to fit in (I am sorry that I can't help there), but that it worked. So I took it.

If we knew the type of blower motor, I would have posted about using it as an alternative, along with how to create a cooling passage to it.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Post by Emas9420 »

TonyC wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:24 pm Actually, the one I run now I got from one of our vets, Fraser Noble ("frasern" on the Forum). When I was complaining about Frankenstein's blower giving me heart palpitations at all random times, Fraser offered me a motor from one of his organ donors, a '68. He did caveat that it was not a factory-correct, clap-door Lincoln motor, and he didn't even know what car that motor was designed to fit in (I am sorry that I can't help there), but that it worked. So I took it.

If we knew the type of blower motor, I would have posted about using it as an alternative, along with how to create a cooling passage to it.

---Tony
That's all right. I will figure something out when I get there.. surely i can mock something up :). Will submit the results and maybe even a How To:
- Emanuel
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

TonyC wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:24 pm Actually, the one I run now I got from one of our vets, Fraser Noble ("frasern" on the Forum).

---Tony
It was pre cobbled up before I got it, but it sure ran quiet!

That '68 has the ATC box, however it can't be tested, so a bit of a crap shoot on condition, however if you would like to take a chance on it, I can pull it and ship for actual shipping cost, plus about $30 bucks labour to extract it.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

After nearly two years of near-daily use, it still does, Fraser! Can't thank you enough for that motor. :smt002 I want to say I took a couple snapshots of it after I cobbled up my air-pipe reroute, but I keep forgetting to check my computer files.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Post by Emas9420 »

frasern wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:19 pm
TonyC wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:24 pm Actually, the one I run now I got from one of our vets, Fraser Noble ("frasern" on the Forum).

---Tony

That '68 has the ATC box, however it can't be tested, so a bit of a crap shoot on condition, however if you would like to take a chance on it, I can pull it and ship for actual shipping cost, plus about $30 bucks labour to extract it.
Hi Fraser,

I appreciate it, the only thing is that with a 68 box I need 68 components and I'm having trouble sourcing that.. However, if you have all the parts necessary I can take a gamble on it.. it can't be any worse than what I have now that's for sure. I would need the ATC, potentiometer, resistor's etc. how much do you think is shipping from where you are to South FL? - Worse case if its bad, i think i have an easier time sending a 68' to be rebuilt than what i have.
- Emanuel

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”