15" Tires for my '63 LCC

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 15" Tires for my '63 LCC

Post by TonyC »

Ahh yes, the load rating...can't believe I forgot to mention the load rating, which has been my primary argument against the muy-quesamente wagon-wheel fad that is too much of a rage. Yes, the Nexens and even the Hankooks have load ratings well above any clap-door's maximum gross weight (I know that sounds redundant, but I use that to describe a clap-door, say a 'vert, loaded to the hilt with every possible option, six passengers, and a full trunk of luggage, which I imagine would tip out at 7,000 lbs. max), making for less likelihood of shredding on the highway. Matter of fact, even the Auburn Premium load rating, though lower, is still well above the max possible GVW, so you'd still be good if you went with those, more so if they are also M+S-certified. I mean, you never know...there may come a time when you will actually need to trudge your car through mud and/or snow, so it's a bit more peace of mind to know the tires are built to do that.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

I decided to go with the DB1 tires which are based on the Nexen tire with an added vulcanized 2-3/8” whitewall. I will report in when they are on. The existing DB tires on the car were Cooper based and have lasted quite a long time. Perfect shape, great tread, and no weather cracking. Unfortunately they are approaching 14 years old! If they ever need to be repaired, no tire shop will touch them. Probably good only for parade use.
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Ken Stevens wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:35 pm I decided to go with the DB1 tires which are based on the Nexen tire with an added vulcanized 2-3/8” whitewall. I will report in when they are on. The existing DB tires on the car were Cooper based and have lasted quite a long time. Perfect shape, great tread, and no weather cracking. Unfortunately they are approaching 14 years old! If they ever need to be repaired, no tire shop will touch them. Probably good only for parade use.
That makes sense Ken. Since I have sunk so much fixed costs on new /old CV 15" rims (and powder coating for them), I'm leaning toward the stock Nexen with the thin whitewall this go around. I can tell you though, that even though not correct for the year, the crappy out-of-round 14" Coker's I've been driving on my '63 with the wide whitewalls gets a lot of looks and positive attention from other drivers.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

mge825y wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:54 pm I can tell you though, that even though not correct for the year, the crappy out-of-round 14" Coker's I've been driving on my '63 with the wide whitewalls gets a lot of looks and positive attention from other drivers.
Mark, I agree wholeheartedly. I personally think wide whites look best on 61-64, even if they’re not original. There something about the styling changes starting in ‘65 that call for a narrower stripe in my eye.

Shortly after I bought my ‘62, I thought it might look good in black walls. THAT didn’t last long.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I agree with Lee's last point. Back in "the day," either '89 or '93 (one of those years) I got my first glimpse at a '66 'vert in Fort Lauderdale, at a specialty-car dealership. That had full-blown whitewalls on it, I mean no black anywhere on the sides...and it just did not look right.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

I'm happy to see a compliment for the wide whites. I like'em on my '61. My Coker Classics have performed well and now figuring maybe I just got lucky with them. Totally agree with narrower whites on later year models.

As a kid in the mid-sixties, I remember the first narrow triple whitewalls I ever saw and they were on a 1958 Cadillac that a furniture store owner drove.To my eye, they looked really good on that car. Guess it's in the eye of the beholder and also depends on the car.
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

My first exposure to wide whites were about the same time. A neighbor on our block had a black ‘41 Caddy he kept parked in the driveway. I don’t believe it ever ran, but it sure did look good in 3” whites.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Hey Mark, I noticed one name-brand tire still available that you might not have noticed if you were only searching for metric sizes. You can still get the Firestone 721 radial tires with narrow whitewall in the (pretty much equivalent) LR78-15 size. I ran these tires on my Town Coupe years ago and loved them. They are available through Universal.

https://www.universaltire.com/lr78-15-f ... -tire.html
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Nice-looking tire...but $361 per?? Maybe okay for a museum piece, but...

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Well - Finally had everything lined up today - 15" powder coated CV rims and 15" 64/65 hubcaps. Decided it was time to hit the tire store and get the old 14" tires and rims off and the new ones on. But, they are out of stock in the Nexen 235/75R15 tires with narrow whitewall until tomorrow or Friday. They run $154 a tire - installed and out-the door. Will check back tomorrow.
Mark in Charlotte
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Mark, you may want to save some money…
https://www.amazon.com/Nexen-NPriz-All- ... 13d670b6bc
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Lee - I saw those last week and had forgotten about them. Thank you for the reminder. I just ordered 4 and they are on the way.
Mark in Charlotte
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Mark, here is a little unsolicited advice which may be controversial to some, but valve extensions are crap! Get longer valves before you install those tires!
No tire shop has them anymore, they will put 1.25" valves in the rims, because that's what everyone uses now, you will likely need to find some yourself and have the shop install them when mounting your tires. I didn't think of this until just now, I was re-installing a hubcap on my 3/4 ton and broke another extension. (Factory 15" caps with an adaptor to 16.5" rims, obsolete)
When I worked at a tire shop in '81, we still carried longer valves for use with hubcaps, however todays cars mostly use aluminum rims. When I put tires on my '67, I got 2.5 inch valves to clear the hubcaps, however 2" may be enough for your combo, maybe someone with the '64 caps will chime in.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Thanks Fraser! The tires were delivered to me yesterday and if all goes well, I'll have them installed tomorrow. I'll check with the shop before heading over to see if they have longer ones. If not, they have them at the Auto Parts store across the street from the tire store and I can buy some on the way over.
Mark in Charlotte
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Yes, good point about the valves. The longest valve any tire shop offers is 2", and those still aren't adequate. However, valve extensions are available in part stores. They may look a bit too long, but too long is better than too short.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”