Top operation question

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Top operation question

Post by Ken Stevens »

After winter storage, my 61 top will not operate. Pulling the top control yields total silence. Pushing it will cause the hydraulic pump to run, forcing the top to continue to close the already erected top. After abusing my back by removing the back seat and shorting the two relays unlocking and raising the deck, the top system works fine. Is there a micro switch that isn’t being tripped? I thought that possibly the flipper panel might be the culprit by settling down a bit over the winter due to slop in the gear set. I even thought about installing posi-taps ( No scotch locks…) and having momentary switches behind the rear beat bottom to unlock and raise the deck.

Let’s hear some advice. I’d appreciate it. Thanks
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Top operation question

Post by Ken Stevens »

Sure enough, after trying different search terms, I was finally successful in finding an answer. It seems I asked this very question in 2017 and totally forgot. (Getting old is a real pain…) Dan had a good recommendation that I followed and worked great. But it appears now it’s new brass gear time for my ‘61 flip panel. A compete hydraulic system replacement might be called for in the near future as it’s operation is getting real slow.

Regardless, thanks for reading my post, but I think It simply needs another money injection.
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Post by jtheye »

This thread was exactly like listening to someone talk too them self to figure out a problem. I saw your question, but figured I would give you a few hours to see if you could figure it out for yourself....... :roll: :lol:
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Sometimes, one merely needs to be reminded inside their own brain of their thoughts. Many ask questions before giving a thought about the newer. Others answer the question themselves as soon as they ask it.

We have 23 years of posts here. Many questions have been asked. Finding the answer can be difficult but the answer is out there, Skulley.

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”