Automatic parking brake release

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Automatic parking brake release

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I found some instruction for the non-vacuum mercury ford version of the switch and it specifically mentions the pin and Neutral. So there you have it.
Attachments
IMG_0161.jpeg
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Good stuff there! It could even come in useful for the older switches where the torque of the securing screws are concerned. The metal of the column is pretty thin, and it would be easy to strip the threads in it with too much oomph applied.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
1966BlackonBlackConv
Occasional Visitor

Post by 1966BlackonBlackConv »

I would like to clear up some confusion, that I experienced with this thread. When reading this thread an reading the shop manual, I learned there are two different parts that are referenced in this post. I can only reference 1966, but here is something that must be realized.

For 1966:
Neutral (Start) switch is mounted externally on the transmission itself. Chapter 7- Transmission of the manual. Page 7-26. Drill gauge 43 to adjust. this switch does not appear to have anything to do with the parking brake operation. I have been wrong before, you will let me know.

Neutral (Safety) switch is mounted on the steering column. Chapter 2- Brakes of the manual. Page 2-10. I have no clue how to adjust.

On my car, If I hold the transmission selector lever full to the left (counter clockwise), the parking brake will hold while the car it is running. If not I have to STAB the parking brake pedal 10 times and it will set the parking brake while running. When the car is off, and or I manually deplete the cars vacuum by raising and lowering the door locks- the parking brake will set all the way to the floor, every time.

So, what if any adjustment can be made? I am having nightmares cause, I have a tilt 66 Delco Remy steering column. If it need to replace it, Is this switch the same as the non tilt car? I will try loosening the mounting bolts for the column mounted neutral safety switch and shoving the switch right, (clockwise) lock it down and see if that works.
vashtsdaytona
Lincoln Maniac

Post by vashtsdaytona »

Well gang, back to my original topic. Got to the car. Can confirm I had the correct nss on the column, with the correct vacuum nipples. Just couldn't see them installed. Ok, removed the nss bench tested vacuum system on the original nss, and it leaks through, never directs to pull vacuum. And that's ok, it also wasn't great at finding park anyways.

Ok in the car i found the house from the brake release. And the vacuum source hose which had a plug in it. Removed plug and we have vacuum. Hook up vacuum lines to new nss for a test and it blocks off in park no leaks. Move to a gear it directs vacuum to brake release actuator. And you can see the lever move a bit, but we have a small leak and not enough suck too pull lever fully.

I swap brake release for a vacuum gauge. 0 in park, go into gear 15in no leaks move back to park 0in it bleed off no leaks, which is what it should do. Cycle that a few times, continues to work.

Used hand vacuum pump on brake release actuator wiggles lever but not enough. Leak. New hose, no change.

So must have a leaky actuator. Which is likely why it was bypassed years ago I'd guess. I previously took my original nss apart to clean and adjust years ago, in doing that maybe I messed up the vacuum part. or it was broken already, doesn't really matter though.

The solution would be an actuator. Looks annoying to replace. I will likely just leave it be, unless a spare is super cheap...

Now the new nss is installed and electrically doing the correct stuff. I did the neutral install method. I did have to adjust a bit after, perhaps just wear in my shifter assembly. But seems to have all functions.

A little disappointed though because I thought I was going to get a twofer. But I know the nss vacuum is good and hoses are in place and good. In theory just the actuator. So better off than it was and knowledge gained.
1969 Conti 4dr 460cid
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

1966BlackonBlackConv wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:58 pm For 1966:
Neutral (Start) switch is mounted externally on the transmission itself. Chapter 7- Transmission of the manual. Page 7-26. Drill gauge 43 to adjust. this switch does not appear to have anything to do with the parking brake operation. I have been wrong before, you will let me know.
This correct. The NSS on the 1966 trans is only for park/neutral starting and the reverse lights.
Neutral (Safety) switch is mounted on the steering column. Chapter 2- Brakes of the manual. Page 2-10. I have no clue how to adjust.
There are slots in the switch for the two screws. It pivots about the column so that the post on the switch can be acted upon by the arm on the column shift tube.
On my car, If I hold the transmission selector lever full to the left (counter clockwise), the parking brake will hold while the car it is running. If not I have to STAB the parking brake pedal 10 times and it will set the parking brake while running.
I dont know what the second sentence means by IF NOT. If not what? If not running? If not holding while running? If not you hold the shifter up to the left? Please define the conditions of all the above that requires multiply “stabbing” (pushing?) the parking brake pedal 10x to set it (including shifter position) while running.
When the car is off, and or I manually deplete the cars vacuum by raising and lowering the door locks- the parking brake will set all the way to the floor, every time.
the parking brakes NSS vacuum feed must be from the intake vacuum and not tied into the door lock vacuum. Engine off means no vacuum to the parking brake regardless of column position.
So, what if any adjustment can be made? I am having nightmares cause, I have a tilt 66 Delco Remy steering column. If it need to replace it, Is this switch the same as the non tilt car? I will try loosening the mounting bolts for the column mounted neutral safety switch and shoving the switch right, (clockwise) lock it down and see if that works.
If you have a 66 with the tilt column, there should be no NSS on the column because it is on the transmission. It should only have a column mounted vacuum park/neutral switch for releasing the brake pedal.

I don’t remember where I read it, but I believe that some later 66s were built with the combination NSS/vacuum release switches mounted only on the column no no NSS on the transmission (might be in the service manual). This would be the same as 1967s.
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Post by jtheye »

YODA! yodamanDan. :clap:
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan
1966BlackonBlackConv
Occasional Visitor

Dans question:
“I dont know what the second sentence means by IF NOT. If not what? If not running? If not holding while running? If not you hold the shifter up to the left? Please define the conditions of all the above that requires multiply “stabbing” (pushing?) the parking brake pedal 10x to set it (including shifter position) while running.”

Answer:
If I don’t hold the transmission selector lever to the left while the car is running (hands off). I have to apply the parking brake until it holds all the way to the floor. This can be up to 10 times.

If the car has been not running for a day. Before I start the car. I can set the brake on the first attempt to the floor every time. Has to be the vacuum switch.

Thanks for the insight. I should be able the adjust the vacuum switch on the column. Or it’s bad and needs to be replaced.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Your problem is shifter sag. A slight adjustment of the switch should correct the condition. Finding the sweet spot where the brake holds in park, released in reverse, holds again in Neutral, and then releases in drive can be tricky, especially if your shifter sag is excessive.

Shifter sagging is a whole ‘ other issue on 66 tilt columns!
1966BlackonBlackConv
Occasional Visitor

I’m up for the challenge. The shifter sag is minimal. I am not worried about it slipping into reverse. The lever holds firm in park and must be pulled words the driver to come out of park. I have a few other repairs I need to to get to before I open this “Pandoras box”
Thanks Dan!

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”