Resto mod company suggestions

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

appleco1

Resto mod company suggestions

Post by appleco1 »

I have a 63 convertible that has been half way done and I am looking to finish it to the next level. Any suggestions of shops that know Lincolns and the convertible tops?
Attachments
IMG_4750.jpeg
IMG_2232.jpeg
IMG_7498.jpg
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Resto mod company suggestions

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

My guess is you have bottomless pockets if your looking for a shop to do a total build on a complete car.

Check with these people, they have turned out a good number of heavily modified lincolns.

https://metalworksclassics.com/
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Indeed; that's a five-figure venture, and the first figure is usually higher than "1." One needs an advance on a rich aunt's will to pay for that. Not my thing so I can't help with suggestions, but I know it's a thing for others.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

TonyC wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:36 pm Indeed; that's a five-figure venture, and the first figure is usually higher than "1." One needs an advance on a rich aunt's will to pay for that. Not my thing so I can't help with suggestions, but I know it's a thing for others.

---Tony
The crazy part about putting a car together in 2023 is how far $20k dosen't get you anymore. For an entry level decent paint job that would include door jams is going to start at $10k and something that would include the engine bay and under the vehicle you will start around $30k. If you take a car to a reputable shop and had full cart blasted, under coat, engine bay prepped/painted, exterior prepped/painted, interior, air suspension, new glass, wheels/ tires, late model EFI engine/trans installed you will easily drop over $200k. My wife is going to vinyl wrap her Mark because she is very good at it and the material will cost her about $500.
71 Lincoln Mark iii
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Exactly what I have suspected for years; you'd have to be a drug-trafficker to afford that type of customizing, and with today's inflation you still risk bankruptcy. I always estimated that bodywork to Frankenstein, to the standard I would command, would start at $10g's...and that 10g estimate was arrived at well before CCCS and the consequent inflation. It's liable to be much higher now...which is why prettying up the skin is the last thing on my mind.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

$10k for body work and paint would be the low end in my experience. You could get a nice job for that price probably 10-15 years ago, but show quality strip and refinish is upwards of $20-30k now. Seems rather ridiculous considering a lot of our cars aren't even worth that on a good day, but whattaya gonna do? Labor has gone up, supplies have gone up, EVERYTHING has gone up FFS
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

LithiumCobalt wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:22 pm $10k for body work and paint would be the low end in my experience. You could get a nice job for that price probably 10-15 years ago, but show quality strip and refinish is upwards of $20-30k now. Seems rather ridiculous considering a lot of our cars aren't even worth that on a good day, but whattaya gonna do? Labor has gone up, supplies have gone up, EVERYTHING has gone up FFS
It definitely takes $20-$30k to have a premium paint job done these days on an old Lincoln.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

TonyC wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:20 pm Exactly what I have suspected for years; you'd have to be a drug-trafficker to afford that type of customizing, and with today's inflation you still risk bankruptcy. I always estimated that bodywork to Frankenstein, to the standard I would command, would start at $10g's...and that 10g estimate was arrived at well before CCCS and the consequent inflation. It's liable to be much higher now...which is why prettying up the skin is the last thing on my mind.

---Tony
Tony - Maybe you've just named your own job? Sounds like Frankie would appreciate the infusion :lol:
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

mge825y wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:40 pm
TonyC wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:20 pm Exactly what I have suspected for years; you'd have to be a drug-trafficker to afford that type of customizing, and with today's inflation you still risk bankruptcy. I always estimated that bodywork to Frankenstein, to the standard I would command, would start at $10g's...and that 10g estimate was arrived at well before CCCS and the consequent inflation. It's liable to be much higher now...which is why prettying up the skin is the last thing on my mind.

---Tony
Tony - Maybe you've just named your own job? Sounds like Frankie would appreciate the infusion :lol:
:lol:
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I know some of these threads go stray, but I don't think the OP needs paint, judging by his pics. Probably looking for interior.
appleco; we need to better know what you have in mind, and a location.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

appleco1 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:05 pm I have a 63 convertible that has been half way done and I am looking to finish it to the next level. Any suggestions of shops that know Lincolns and the convertible tops?
I wasn't trying to be a dick before. You have a really bad ass looking car and if it was me personally I wouldn't do much of anything to it. You don't want to end up with a car that is over the top nice that cant be driven anywhere ever again. When people say things like "take it to the next level " that quickly turns into a bottomless hole of money that can never be recovered. My suggestion is to pick out the true weak points of your car and target those and by doing that people here can better help you find a shop.
71 Lincoln Mark iii
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Maybe, Mark...but for me, that price tag for bodywork just went significantly higher yesterday: Fresh collision damage.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

What happened, Tony?
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Ouch! Hope you and Frankie are okay.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I'm okay; Frankenstein, on the other hand, is still being examined.

Yesterday, in Killeen, TX, I was sitting at a red light in a lightish but soggy rain shower, waiting for the arrow to turn left. A kid of high-school-senior/college-freshman age in a Mazda 3 took a right turn too fast on the slippery pavement and slid headlong into my front fender. Below are shots of what the damage looked like. I had to pull out the spare because the hit wrecked the valve stem of the tire, causing it to leak. So far, listening carefully for noises I'm not hearing any pops or grinds from that wheel, and I have not seen any damage to the spindle, nor any fresh bends or breaks apart from the surface. I'm hoping I lucked out and was spared having to replace everything on that side; I'll find out for sure when I go to the tire shop for a new pair of tires tomorrow or Monday.

I went to Discount Tire today about that damaged stem, and they said the outer wear on both fronts warrants outright replacement; so I have a new pair on order.

So, here is what Frankenstein looks like now. Warning: It doesn't look pretty. I'm keeping fingers crossed 🤞 that it only remains as looks. From the caving of the bumper extension, I think the brunt of the impact was there. The slippery road may have saved me from worse damage, because he shoved my front end out of the lane when he hit. Again, 🤞🤞!

---Tony
Attachments
IMG_20230330_141007.jpg
IMG_20230330_132518.jpg
IMG_20230330_141824.jpg
IMG_20230330_145606.jpg
"Question Authority!"

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”