1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Sport 4dr Lucille

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
My_49_Lucille
Occasional Visitor

Re: 1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Sport 4dr Lucille

Post by My_49_Lucille »

Another odd ball question for the experts. I would love to one day find the correct Fulton Sun Visor that fits my car.

Through experience do any of you know which model Fulton fits my car? Many say they do, each being a different model number, however, all require center moulding mounts and my car is a one piece windshield. Their re also really expensive, I do not want to buy the wrong one by mistake. If I find out first I'll post it here as well ..

Thank you
-- Respect The Rust --
** See My First Post For a Complete Index of the Restoration **
- Makes things easier to find - :grin:
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

It looks like you have stated the correct solution to your problem. You should have 2 of the long bolts. Feel around on the end of the starter for the other long bolt.

To use the Fulton type sun visor on your Cosmopolitan you need to use a roof bracket made for 1 piece windshields. This screws into the roof of the car and supports the center of the visor. I don't know how hard they are to find, but when you have the bracket, you can use any Fulton sunvisor.

You can save yourself a lot of work by buying the Shop Manual on CD. https://www.ebay.com/itm/401628091940?c ... 1HEALw_wcB
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
My_49_Lucille
Occasional Visitor

Post by My_49_Lucille »

OK, so as I wait for time to do other projects that require more time, I decided to buy a quart of Citri strip and see how it works on the painted trim my car has. The first loose piece I was able to grab was one of the headlight bezels. Well since pictures are better than words here they are.
Note: As per the instructions I covered the piece with plastic wrap because I was letting it sit for 24hrs. The results were amazing !!!
And in case OSHA is watching, please wear the proper chemical resistant PPE to avoid skin irritation ..
Do not go cheap on this brush it on generously, it does smell good .. lol

This post will get large as I add more pieces, better than scattering them through this monster blog ..
Attachments
Original Bezel 2.jpg
Original Bezel.jpg
Treated Bezel 2.jpg
Treated Bezel 3.jpg
Finished Bezel 1.jpg
Finished Bezel 2.jpg
Citri Strip.jpg
IMG_20231117_105736.jpg
IMG_20231117_105801.jpg
IMG_20231122_213725.jpg
Last edited by My_49_Lucille on Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
-- Respect The Rust --
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

That stuff is pretty impressive. Something you buy today that actually works as advertised. Reasonably priced and readably available like at Walmart or Home Depot. WOW! That is a find.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
My_49_Lucille
Occasional Visitor

Post by My_49_Lucille »

OK back to our regularly scheduled program ...

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I spent it with my brother at his camp called River Ranch, an off the grid squatters campground where their are no rules just chaos, love it !!
Anyhow we spent the evening discussing the finer points of my insanity and why I bother with these old pieces of shit, as he puts it. That lively discussion lead to a gentlemen's bet.

I have until 12/4 to restore my starter and and turn over the Lincoln. At stake, $100. Seems simple, but from now until then I only have one day off and will have to work primarily in the dark to get r dun. May luck be a lady at my side.

So I found that second long bolt, it was so covered with oil crud that it had been smoothed over, once removed the starter came right out.

At your recommendations, I will be replacing the brushes which look worn as well. Now the fun begins, removing that screw I need to replace does not appear to be that straight forward, ill get a pic up tomorrow. However, I also want to take it apart to clean it properly. So what tool do I need to search for to remove these square headed pole screws? They are bigger than a 1/4", I say that in reference to fitting a 1/4" drive extension into the hole and it dances inside. So it is in between 1/4" and 3/8" which is to large.

Also the search begins for the starter cover band as the asbestos or whatever covers the inside of that completely fell apart upon disassembly. Any help would be appreciated as usual .. I have seen them on ebay all missing that band of cork or asbestos or whatever, is that really necessary? Otherwise the one I have is good.
Attachments
502-Starter Motor.pdf
(406.8 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
IMG_20231125_182638.jpg
IMG_20231125_182647.jpg
IMG_20231125_182729.jpg
IMG_20231125_182813.jpg
-- Respect The Rust --
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

That's interesting. All the pole shoe bolts I've worked with are cut for a large flat screwdriver blade. It's probably 5/16 drive...a lathe chuck tool would probably be strong enough.
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/squar ... size~5-16/
https://www.amazon.com/HHIP-3900-4866-S ... 6972&psc=1
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

You can fabricate an adapter from a bolt, just grind a square into the threads, then use it in a socket. You may not need to remove them anyway, the fields can be tested in place, if they are okay, I would let sleeping dogs lay. The commutator looks good, you may just need brushes.
I would re use the strap, the seal was, I think, just thin cardboard, or paper gasket material, no need for asbestos there.
Check the spring for cracks near the ends, that's where they break.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
My_49_Lucille
Occasional Visitor

Post by My_49_Lucille »

Here is that final pic of the terminal screw I need to replace. It looks like another copper rod sits inside it. Is that correct or dum luck over 70 years of use? Better to ask before I start yanking and breaking stuff ..

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20231126_205528.jpg
-- Respect The Rust --
My_49_Lucille
Occasional Visitor

Post by My_49_Lucille »

Lee wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:19 pm That's interesting. All the pole shoe bolts I've worked with are cut for a large flat screwdriver blade. It's probably 5/16 drive...a lathe chuck tool would probably be strong enough.
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/squar ... size~5-16/
https://www.amazon.com/HHIP-3900-4866-S ... 6972&psc=1
Thanks for the links, I ordered the tool, lets see if it works ... I wanted to take it completely apart to clean it without damaging anything .. Any tips on removing 70years of grime? I have a steam cleaner aside from an arsenal of degreasers, and a couple of 2 liters of Coke .. lol

Thanks
-- Respect The Rust --
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

My_49_Lucille wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:49 pm Here is that final pic of the terminal screw I need to replace. It looks like another copper rod sits inside it. Is that correct or dum luck over 70 years of use? Better to ask before I start yanking and breaking stuff ..

Thanks
You’ll have to unsolder the old terminal connections and resolder on the new one. I think the oval hole Ford and Mercury is the same, but I don’t know for sure.

https://ford.obsoleteandclassicautopart ... 7#page/143

And if you are determined to remove the field coils (I’d also be tempted to leave them be), use plenty of penetrant, and take your time, those bolts don’t always like to cooperate.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
My_49_Lucille
Occasional Visitor

Post by My_49_Lucille »

LOL .. I am determined to clean this crud ridden piece of antiquated technology ..lol

Will those components hold up to being washed? With de-greaser, with Coke, with a steamer?

OMG, on the other hand thank you for that link, I can just buy the terminal bolt and be done with this. Now you mentioned it was soldered on to the bolt, all the more reason to clean it before removing it. Fortunately I can solder, so this is not a difficult removal.

Lets order some parts. Looks like I am better off rebuilding this one as everyone is afraid of the automatic transmission, all the applications I have seen are for manual transmissions and since this one works, best to just replace that defective bolt.

Good news the parts matched up the P/N in my guide, so I am sure the part is correct .. :smt024

Thanks again.
-- Respect The Rust --
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

My_49_Lucille wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:18 pm LOL .. I am determined to clean this crud ridden piece of antiquated technology ..lol

Will those components hold up to being washed? With de-greaser, with Coke, with a steamer?
Well, I don’t think I’d use anything more than a gentle stream of compressed air on the field coils, if they are wrapped in cotton fabric. If they aren’t, you should be safe with either mineral spirits or naphtha (lighter fluid, if you’re not a smoker) and an old toothbrush on those and the armature. I would definitely stay away from alcohol or lacquer thinner type cleaners, because the wires in the fields and armature have an enamel or phenolic insulation, and a very strong solvent can attack those.

If you want to go the full rebuild route, check the bushings for excessive wear, read up on undercutting the commutator, and you might even throw a new Bendix in there. Probably not by Dec. 4, though.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
My_49_Lucille
Occasional Visitor

Post by My_49_Lucille »

This is more about my luck than the bet .. lol

I just got a call telling me that the terminal bolt I need is on a 3-4 week back order ..

Such is the life of a classic restoration. Gives me plenty of time to clean it now ..
-- Respect The Rust --
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

If it’s the oval hole, I’ll bet they’re all the same
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142777292970?h ... R67-6qyCYw
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
My_49_Lucille
Occasional Visitor

Post by My_49_Lucille »

Lee wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:03 pm If it’s the oval hole, I’ll bet they’re all the same
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142777292970?h ... R67-6qyCYw
I'm willing to gamble the $8 that you're right, I've pissed away more money on worse things .. :lol:

I even like the fact that it has more ways to insert the copper rod I need to solder into it as well. So lets see .. :smt024 :eusa-pray:
-- Respect The Rust --