Convertible Top Deck Lid

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Convertible Top Deck Lid

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

LithiumCobalt wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:13 pm Never really understood the desire to substitute Chi-comm specials in place of the original relays. The originals last only, what? 50-60 years? Can’t see $1 relays with that kind of longevity. Rebuild the originals and they’re good for another fifty years. Also likely way more heavy duty and overbuilt than anything available today. Obviously your car and money though.
I can agree with this to point but I think people forget that it's not 1990 anymore and these cars are not 25 years old. People who really want one of these cars are having to pull them off the bottom of the scrap piles because the "little rough" cars of the 90s were used as parts cars or just left in a field to rot. The supply of NOS parts are mostly gone and the used parts on ebay look mostly to be trash because of their age. If the car is missing the wiring or it's destroyed its easier and cheaper to use a universal kit. I think the biggest issue is that people do such a bad job fabricating relay boxes, leave everything hanging, and use the same color wire on everything. On my 55 chevy I used Standard Ignition 40 amp 4 prong relays on everything that wasn't already integrated in the American Auto Wire system I installed and have never had any issues.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

I have a '63 LCC and just did a quick search for window, power seat and convertible top relays by part number. You can find them in-stock for sale at several places including these:

Lincoln Land
http://www.lincolnlandinc.com/

Brewer Classic Lincoln
https://www.brewerclassiclincoln.com/

Mark II Enterprises
https://markii.com/

Hydro-E-Lectric
https://www.hydroe.com/

eBay

As I shared earlier, when I was trouble-shooting my relays, I took all the guess work out and sent ALL of mine to John Brewer. He cleaned and tested all of them and found that two were bad. I purchased my replacements from him. When I installed them back in my car, if I had continued to have a problem, I had eliminated the relays as a suspect.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
63ragtop

Post by 63ragtop »

Thanks for all comments.

LithiumCobalt - How do you rebuild these relays, or should I just get new ones from one of the Lincoln old parts houses? (I am not a techie at all.)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

63ragtop wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:52 am Thanks for all comments.

LithiumCobalt - How do you rebuild these relays, or should I just get new ones from one of the Lincoln old parts houses? (I am not a techie at all.)
There may be tutorials on this forum how to attempt to rebuild them on your own, but you will have to search for them. I've always just opted to send mine in for testing/rebuilding to one of the usual suspects. Lincoln Land and John Brewer are the main two that offer this service.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
63ragtop

Post by 63ragtop »

Thanks Lithium! JN

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”