Upgrading distributor in points

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Greggory
Occasional Visitor

Upgrading distributor in points

Post by Greggory »

I have a 1966 Lincoln Continental with the 462 MEL. my question is has anybody tried upgrading the distributor with one of those MSD are HEI performance distributors and laminated in the points. if so what did you use and were you happy with it.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading distributor in points

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Pertronix ignitor. Anything more is a waste of money, IMHO. But that's my IMHO.

The problem is the 462 MEL is the last of its kind and a drop-in distributor upgrade is near impossible to find.

There's 20 years of posts here. Someone must have done it. Maybe you can find it.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I went with Pertronix in my 63. Very satisfied, no one knows unless I tell them. Wayne
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

vote 3 for Petronix. Works like a charm!
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

I have the Pertronix II in my '63. It works great and am happy with my decision to do this upgrade.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Greggory wrote:I have a 1966 Lincoln Continental with the 462 MEL. my question is has anybody tried upgrading the distributor with one of those MSD are HEI performance distributors and laminated in the points. if so what did you use and were you happy with it.
On the MEL engine forum, I found this link: https://performancedistributors.com/

Ask them if they have a drop-in kit.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

My feedback is go with Pertronix. I spoke with them on the phone and they recommended using their spark plugs as well. I had an MSD coil but was sold on running all Pertronix equipment plus it wasn't too bad in cost all purchased via Amazon.

Video part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8YJq7aUOEo&t=16s
Video part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZNeuf1O85w

I had planned to send my stock distributor up to be upgraded but my distributor was kind of a pain to install when it first went in the freshly rebuilt engine (I'm sure it would have worked out removing it but I didn't want to) so I said screw it. I went with Pertronix parts, didn't have to remove the distributor or send in my extra one, it was cheaper and the car had been FANTASTIC since I upgraded. If you look at first video description I have the parts in there that I purchased. I just looked and to buy all the same stuff you'd be right around $200. I did have to cut and install the plug wire ends but I show you how to do it in the video #2. Its not that bad.

I had all MSD stuff on my '67 that I sold recently and never got a chance to really drive it much. Pertronix had a good point if your gonna run the Ignitor you might as well pair it with their plug wires and coil.

Hope this helps! Don't forget to check out Lincoln Addict Podcast as it is FREE! https://lincolnaddict.podbean.com

Jason B. aka The Lincoln Addict
Greggory
Occasional Visitor

Post by Greggory »

Thanks for the help,
Gregg
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

No problem. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”