1978 continental sedan project

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1978 continental sedan project

Post by Dan Szwarc »

500hp in a 70s Lincoln should be noice. I'd like to know how you beef up the axle to support that kind of power.
And the transmission .
mz35z
Occasional Visitor

Post by mz35z »

Yeah it should push this sled around pretty easily! I haven't got there just yet with the axle and trans, but I have a buddy who is pretty knowledgeable so I'll be learning from him and doing a lot of learning over the next year or so on my own.
Matt Zufelt. 78 Continental sedan with 460/c6
mz35z
Occasional Visitor

Post by mz35z »

20240307_150005.jpg
Well quick update! I got the new intake on so the carb doesn't have to butt up against a spread bore conversion plate that was quite clunky. Still really held back by the heads and manifolds, but that will be swapped out later when the other block gets built up.
I had to add a homemade extension to the trans kick down lever (glad i picked up one of the junkyard lincoln!). With my filter on, it just barely clears the hood, I was worried about that.
Next up is gapping/swapping plugs, new oil, draining gas (it's quite old now), flushing coolant and putting in a new radiator from champion cooling. After a lot of measuring, I believe a CC390 will fit well. The old owner cut up the original mounting to add some tiny radiator in there so I'll have to start from scratch on mounting hardware anyways.
While I wait for parts to come in, I can polish up this trim and get it on.
Here is my son enjoying the car:
Screenshot_20240311_165012_Snapchat.jpg
Matt Zufelt. 78 Continental sedan with 460/c6