fixing small chip in windshield

Post your cleaning and detailing techniques, questions, product recommendations, etc. in this sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

fixing small chip in windshield

Post by Suicidekid63 »

My '63 sedan has had a very tiny chip in it for several years now. It is just under the drivers wiper blade and no bigger than a 1/16".
I am wanting to get this repaired and was just wondering if the usual windshield repair guys are able to repair older glass and any opinions on this, if someone has already had it done.
Thanks!!
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: fixing small chip in windshield

Post by action »

I do not think the age of the glass is an issue.
The age of the damage may be. Older damage is subject to small amounts of debris way down in the crack. If it is there and not removed the repair may not last.
Calling one of those guys would get better data.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Or you could buy a kit. I saw one the other day that had the packaging written in full Chinglish. Said that it was for all lamented windshields. I suppose if you had a windshield with a chip in it would be a lamented windshield. Wayne
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I'm going to have a go at it w/ a DIY kit. I'll keep you posted.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
kingraph2
Occasional Visitor

Post by kingraph2 »

i had fairly good luck repairing a small chip in an '83 Camaro windshield.
1963 Convertible
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

If it had a large crack, maybe we would call it a late, lamented windshield. Wayne
Paul K.
Frequent Contributor

Post by Paul K. »

I teach windshield repair an there are different types of damage. Is it just a small pit? All windshield damage has that which is where the object struck. Or is it a center pit with a "Star" with one or more small cracks extending away from the center pit? A pit alone can be filled and polished, however if there is a Star chip or other type of damage it can be a bit more complicated and requires some experience to achieve 75% or better results.

DIY kits I have never used, however, if one is available from 3M I would trust it. If you do hire a professional, a certification such as ROLAGS is proper training and the tech should have training of some sort. One reason is the resin is UV cured and when its cured, its done. The repair you see is the one you are stuck with. No do-overs. One mistake lots of windshield guys make is they work outside and don't cover their work area during the repair. They think they work faster than the curing time. So, essentially, the resin is curing during the repair when they are trying to force the resin into the cracks or extensions. Covering the repair area by Working indoors, using a tent, or using a plastic bubble-like dome to protect from UV rays during the repair is necessary to keep the resin thin and fluid until ready for the curing process. This will offer the best chances to fill in the cracks.
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

papawayne wrote:Or you could buy a kit. I saw one the other day that had the packaging written in full Chinglish. Said that it was for all lamented windshields. I suppose if you had a windshield with a chip in it would be a lamented windshield. Wayne
I bought one of those kits off ebay, fixed a few chips I had, 2 yrs past, still holding up.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I purchased the Permatex DIY kit and used it on my chip. Was simple to do and looks to have solved the chip issue. I did have 2 small lines coming off of the chip, but the spot was still small enough to fit in the zone of the repair patch piece.

I followed the youtube video, as well as the kit instructions. Easy easy.... time will tell if it hold up. The chip from the outside is smooth, now. I dont know if it matters, but I let the resin cure for 30 minutes vs. the 20 stated in instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjuWqBzO7qY
youtube tutorial

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-09103-W ... 0939&psc=1
DIY kit I used