here i go with a Lincoln

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
mrjb9475
Occasional Visitor

Re: here i go with a Lincoln

Post by mrjb9475 »

Yes headlights stay closed and open as should
Jessie
mrjb9475
Occasional Visitor

Post by mrjb9475 »

Well I got new tires and took it on woodward and she did well it started to get a little hot I heard these run hot not sure what I'm comfortable with or where gauge should be
Jessie
mrjb9475
Occasional Visitor

Post by mrjb9475 »

Jessie
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

That’s a damn nice 70.
Attachments
EF8210B9-F676-48F0-AE2D-16D4CC3E8BB7.jpeg
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

mrjb9475 wrote:I will only be the 2nd owner and car looks to be all original
It's a very nice car, but just want to point out, (and this isn't a criticism, just want to inform you) that the opera window is not factory or original to the car.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
mrjb9475
Occasional Visitor

Post by mrjb9475 »

:naughty:
Last edited by mrjb9475 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jessie
mrjb9475
Occasional Visitor

Post by mrjb9475 »

Not going to debate but I know the history on the car I would say your right yet wrong at the same time im going to start a new topic on the interesting history of this car that was owened by ford the 1st year then saved by an employee
Jessie
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

That must be it. I can't imagine trying to install an opera window by myself. A glass company that specializes in moon/sun roofs might be able to do it though. Wayne
mrjb9475
Occasional Visitor

Post by mrjb9475 »

a good pic from the woodward cruise
Jessie
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I just noticed the opera window. Definitely a post-1975 addition. If the owner worked for Ford, he may have ad it expertly installed.
mrjb9475
Occasional Visitor

Post by mrjb9475 »

Ok to sum it up a bit the guy who owened it worked for ford in the prototype division yes you'll notice the opera window also wheels not from 1970 along with little things here and there including the then experimental painted by ford pearl black paint all accessories were installed or tested by ford sometimes years before offered to public from what I understand this car was at many ford displays and shows and owened by ford the 1st 1-3 years of its life then by the ford wixom employee who loved this car I am currently researching more I do have papers stating ford used proto type parts on this car car was soppose to be scrapped then employee saved it then He passed on and I am the owner now I didn't realize the uniqueness of this car now I like it even more it came with lots of ford parts in the trunk brand new NOS in boxes I have to sort though and more is coming its overwhelming so I don't know how to categorize it is it original or not? Maybe say factory modified? However the more I learn the more I will pass on when I 1st posted I said seems to be original I just got the car and its been in storage since 1987 and learning about it myself bottom line thank you for all the input I enjoy the car and can't wait to meet some of you at a lincoln meet
Jessie
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

With all car lines Ford would have used a model for advance engineering to add equipment and test for future models years. After the testing was done typically the equipment that was added was removed. (The equipment wasn't available to the public) When the test platform was done it was rebuilt so it could be sold. And the sale was typically to an employee as a used car. It had miles on it and was used for testing. The vehicle was placed on a intercompany communication at some point if no one near the vehicle wanted it. My uncle who worked for engine engineering in Dearborn (by the test track) in the 1950s to 1970s bought a '70 LTD like that. That LTD was used for a variety of advanced engine testing. When the car was done some time in 1971, it did not have the original 429 engine. So a 429 was send from the engine plant and dropped into that LTD and my uncle got a very reasonably priced almost new LTD with a different 429.

With that said I have never heard of that kind of testing being done at a final assembly plant. Even for tests of the assembly line process there is a test assembly plant in Allen Park MI where kinks in assembly line process for upcoming models was test run. It is possible the car was modified at Wixom, however that would have been unusual. For a manager at Wixom to buy a test vehicle from an advance engineering section, that would be more likely. And the modifications were usually removed. Heck some of those type of modifications NEVER made it to final production and into the public. They didn't pass the test.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I have to say this about the prior owner who retrofitted a freestanding hood ornament and opera windows onto that Coupé: That was a very good job.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
mrjb9475
Occasional Visitor

Post by mrjb9475 »

:smt009
Last edited by mrjb9475 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jessie
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

These are very likely the longest run-on sentences I’ve seen in my life.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham