‘63 LCC Heater Project

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

‘63 LCC Heater Project

Post by mge825y »

I’ve decided to start work the heater project on my ‘63 LCC. The car came from the factory with the heater only (no AC). The water control valve is in bad shape and have ordered a new one and new heater core. They should arrive later this week.

I’ve redone all the vacuum lines in the engine compartment and under the dash. The heater blower motor and the heater switch in the dash works. I looked on the forum for a thread that chronicles a past re-do but really didn’t see anything that goes into great detail.

Any tips or hints on how to approach this or things to look out for? I have the shop manuals, suppliments, wiring guides and the heater / AC guide.

Just trying to think ahead on what to expect so I can be prepared.

Thanks for any insights you can share.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: ‘63 LCC Heater Project

Post by papawayne »

If after doing the work you have already committed yourself to do, you may find that the heat and defrost works just fine. It may in fact be that the heater doors are not all jammed up with mouse carcasses, that the foam gaskets have not deteriorated and that all is well. I will hope this for you. Wayne
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Ha! Thankfully the rattlesnakes kept the barn mice away!

I did get some of the fresh air and heater doors to open and close when I replaced the vacuum lines. But they were sluggish and wonder what’s the best lube for these pin hinge doors (that won’t attract and collect dust and dirt)?
Mark in Charlotte
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Nothing in these cars doesn't collect dust and dirt, but I'd still use a little 3 in one oil, emphasis on the little. It may be that your vacuum motors are the lazy ones, but give thanks that they work at all. Don't expect the kind of "Slam" that you'd get in something like a Taurus when the wind inside changes direction. My Sable scares me sometimes when it changes from heat to defrost, especially when the setting is on auto and I'm not expecting it. It sounds like I've run over a small woodland creature. Wayne
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

I'm going to try and not make a big mess in the garage or the engine bay with coolant everywhere. So am thinking the best way to tackle this is:
1) I'll put an old plastic tarp under the car to keep any spilled coolant from getting everywhere
2) Probably a good idea to disconnect the connector to the negative battery post
3) Take hose clamp pliers, and pinch close the hoses from the old heater core and heater control valve.
4) Disconnect the hoses from the core and cap / plug the two openings on the old core
5) Drape the engine bay with a plastic sheet / tarp. Open up the heater box and disconnect the core from the mounts
6) Remove the core
There may be some seals or gaskets that need some attention?
Probably need to clean and vacuum out whatever crud has accumulated in the heater box?
7) Install the new core and close up the heater box
8) Mark and then remove the vacuum lines from the heater control valve and disconnect it from the mount.
9) Since the mount for mine is unpainted metal, it's now a rusty, corroded mess, I'll have to remove it and dip it overnight to kill the rust. Wash it off and dry it. Then use a brass wire wheel to clean it up. Spray it a couple of times with a clear coat. Let it dry.
10) If the mount is rusty and corroded I figure where it connects to the firewall will be rusty too. So will have to slow things down a bit to clean that up, paint it and wait until dries good.
11) Then re-install the mount and the heater control valve and the vacuum lines

I could be wrong, but I don't think the heater hoses are molded ones. So will measure for those and get replacements at the auto parts store.

Since #9 & #10 are the long poles in the tent so to speak, I may actually do these first

If I've overlooked anything, let me know

Thanks
Mark in Charlotte
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Sounds like you've got it, but I'd just go ahead and drain the system anyway. If it is new stuff, save it and put it back in. You'll still have some mess, but there might be less. The hoses are just the stuff you get at NAPA. If you are in the mood and in there anyway, you might want to get some tower clamps to put it back together again. Wayne
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Post pictures as it would be good to see and you may want to reflect on the work you did long ago years from now.

It will be a mess and maybe not as much as you think. The heater hoses are not molded.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

where did you get the new heater core? can you take photos of the removal and install? that might be helpful to the rest of us that have not yet had to tackle that job.
Robert DeFrang
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Heater control valve and core from Lincoln Land.
Mark in Charlotte
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

The good news is that I was able to remove the old heater water control valve for my ‘63LCC. The bad news is that the old one had pipe threads that allowed you to attached it to the mount with a nut. The new one had no threads.

Has anyone come up with a good workaround to mate a new unthreaded valve to and old mount?
Attachments
AAA0D983-E611-45BE-8236-7430EB1E8C13.jpeg
5D674EA5-7C12-4884-AC69-E88A99A49492.jpeg
Mark in Charlotte
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

I checked with the folks at Lincoln Land and they say this valve will work, but suggest just snugging the bottom hose up to keep everything in place. Now I’m sure that probably works to some degree, but am going to let them know that if they sell a part to fit, they should let the buyer beware it isnt the same fitment as original. More than a little bummed about this.

Moving on... I’ve been taking pictures and will created a project thread later. But retrieved the valve mount from “the DIP” tonight. Washed, dried it off and then used a brass wire wheel on my drill press (I don’t have a bench grinder) to clean it up.

Then proceeded to clamp off the coolant lines and removed the cover to the heater box. The core I’m replacing looks remarkably good from the outside. But the coolant coming out of it is a pure liquid rusty mess. I’m convinced if i didn’t tackle this now, I’d be the guy posting about how my heater core dumped into my front passenger floorboard.

Heater cord isn’t supposed to arrive until Monday. Found out that Lincoln Land sourced it from a place called “Thunderbird Headquarters”. I went to their website and found lots of parts for our Lincolns - and cheaper. So placed a big order for everything on my wish list. If you remember nothing else, remember to search for Thunderbird Headquarters. I think you’ll be impressed by what they have and the prices I think they’re a hidden gem
Attachments
7C172953-46F4-40F1-8119-DEFC2FE3D7A0.png
D463E5A5-5F62-475A-9EE6-F549BBF7AD17.png
6E651EDE-E6D7-471B-B323-F0856CDF2F2C.png
82678C80-0F05-4539-AE7A-12E4AAF555BF.png
955D0706-FB1E-42BE-8E2A-8F59F5E0CD70.png
Mark in Charlotte
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I've got to agree with you. If a part is a replacement, then it should be a replacement. Unfortunately, unless you can find NOS, more and more of the stuff you buy will be "It fits, but it's not right". or "It will work, and nobody will know that it is different". You've already made some adaptations, so I bet you can make this valve look right even if you use a dab of clear epoxy on the mount, or JB Weld or something. Wayne
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I'm back too soon...Don't throw that old heater core away. Flush it out real good with a hydrochloric acid based drain cleaner (leave the stuff in over night) rinse and put on the shelf. If the outside looks good, no visible leaks, and the inside is clean, you may be able to use it as a spare or as a rebuildable core someday (I suppose pun intended) Wayne
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

I would flush the cooling system.

>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Good idea!
Mark in Charlotte

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”