Project Smuggler's Blues - Triple Blue 1964 Convertible

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Project Smuggler's Blues - Triple Blue 1964 Convertible

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks defrang. Kelly at Old Lincoln Parts here in Clearwater and I believe Lincoln Land has the tee fittings but I have a hard time spending a ton of money on the piece when I can make something that is just as useful. I definitely will keep the pics coming. I worked on the car tonight. Bench bleed the master and got it mounted. Tomorrow I'm going to try and finish bleeding the brakes. I also scored some Coker Classic white wall tires today from a friend. They have a thin white wall so I'm going to use them with my factory 15s and polished hubcaps. In the future, I'll be purchasing a set of Colorado Custom aka CC Cycle Lincoln Wheels. I'll prob run 17s on this car with wide white wall tires.

I ordered shocks and they will be in soon. I'm hoping this weekend to tackle the timing setup. On my 67 sedan I changed it after pulling the motor. Shouldn't be bad changing it with the motor still in. My buddy just did his setup on his 65 vert. He is painting the motor and cleaning it up while still in the car. His setup is looking real good.
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

looking good Jason.
Pat
Bagged 1964 Lincoln Continental
My Air Ride Install, My FiTech EFI Install
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks man and thanks for the continued help/support! I made a TON of progress yesterday 2/24. I worked on the car roughly 12 hours. My buddy Ton Boss Bolin helped me. On Fri we tried to bleed the brakes and we simply could not get fluid to the rear. We took the master off numerous times and came to the conclusion the booster was not functioning properly. Tony stopped by late morning Saturday and had the old booster off in roughly 20 minutes. It would have taken me MUCH longer. Saturday: brake booster swapped to the 67 I had rebuilt by Booster Dewey, re-bench bled the master, re-made another brake line going from master to rear fitting, bled brakes successfully, new rear shocks installed, top diagnosed (still one thing to determine) & power into windows/seat figured out - the safety relay is missing in the passenger fender well. I'll snag one off one of Tony's parts cars tomorrow and try it.

I also purchased a nice hardly used set of Coker tires off Chris Dunn at Lincoln Land Inc. Friday morning. Tony noticed them while at the shop the other day and Chris hooked it up! I cleaned them up with soap/water.. but still need to use the Bleache-White on them.

Issues encountered: Tony saw a crack in my passenger manifold (I have a spare on a 462 I picked up), Tony noticed a crack in the head near where the manifold bolts up. Sucks but I'll buy a head off Tony had swap it out. This now gives me more reason to do the head gaskets and pull the intake manifold. I'll also get the manifold, valley pan, valve covers, etc. powder coated. I'll throw a set of Remflex gaskets on to play it safe. https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/rfl-3038

I ended up helping Tony for several hours today on his red 65. I threw a few pics below of it as well.

Here are the latest pics from the progress:

ImageIMG_1311 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1425 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Cleaning up the license plate bracket that came with the car

ImageIMG_1426 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Authenticated license plate I sent to Tallahassee

ImageIMG_1427 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1429 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Car runs good but still going to get Blair Farmer to rebuild the card this week. I have to prime the car with fuel if it sits a few hours to crank. Once it fires it runs fine.

ImageIMG_1476 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Bias ply tires that came w/ the card

ImageIMG_1483 by bd94s10, on Flickr

65 booster

ImageIMG_1523 by bd94s10, on Flickr

67 booster

ImageIMG_1508 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Rebuilt brake booster 20 mins later

ImageIMG_1522 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1521 by bd94s10, on Flickr

New tires

ImageIMG_1516 by bd94s10, on Flickr

New tire cleaned up

ImageIMG_1517 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Tony helping me with the top. We almost have it fully working

ImageIMG_1524 by bd94s10, on Flickr

About to turn in after a 12 hour day

ImageIMG_1525 by bd94s10, on Flickr
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Couple of Tony's car from today 2/25. He has a pretty cool surprise we will hopefully be showing off this coming weekend at a local show.

Installing the middle seat belt for the rear. These seat belts are from Seat Belt Planet: https://www.seatbeltplanet.com

ImageIMG_1548 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1555 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Super nice passenger mirror we installed. The quality is top notch. I'll be buying one myself.

ImageIMG_1557 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Car has been running better with the updated Fi-Tech system. He has had to make various adjustments. Car sounds awesome w/ the Flowmater exhaust he had installed. It is really fun to cruise in. We took it to a local picnic last weekend and it was a hit!

ImageIMG_1565 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Much more to come!
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Quick 1 min video I made for Instagram and thought I'd share here. Lots of work since the weekend of 12/2/17 when I drove ~2,300 miles to pickup the car. I couldn't highlight everything in the 60 seconds but it gives you a good idea. Song is by hip-hop artist Danny Brown titled well.... "Lincoln Continental."

https://youtu.be/1JlSGwQxF9o
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Updates!!! So kicked ass working on the punch list I had before a local show my buddy puts on. Drove the car Saturday morning and had some hiccups. I've since fixed both issues. Changed the points, distributor condenser & fixed the sending unit seal. The car stalled out and upon further inspection the points were nasty and I didn't have the positive coil wire all the way tight on the coil (guess was in too big a rush). The car was leaking gas like no tomorrow when I filled her up. I ended up swapping to the new rubber gasket and I believe it to be fixed now. I have since enjoyed driving the car a tad. I need to change the thermostat and plan to also swap to an MSD coil. I ordered another set of 8mm MSD spark plug wires. The coil wire was also arching out on the valve cover until I pulled the boot down a bit. Anyways, here are some recent pics.

Old spark plugs

ImageIMG_1654 by bd94s10, on Flickr

New upper radiator hose (still need to change the lower)

ImageIMG_1644 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Carb rebuilt by Blair Farmer with 1-day turnaround!

ImageIMG_1668 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Wheels I plan to buy from Colorado Custom Wheels aka CC Cycle Wheels

ImageIMG_1569 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Random pics

ImageIMG_1774 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1791 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1792 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1804 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1794 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1797 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1798 by bd94s10, on Flickr

note the polished hubcaps! They look great. The rear bumper is temporary only. I had to put this bumper together as the car did not come with bumper ends. The bumper the car will have on it has no dents, super nice bumper ends and nice inserts. Kind of annoying looking at this bumper but it will soon be much nicer.

ImageIMG_1801 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1805 by bd94s10, on Flickr

I also plan to purchase seat belts for the rear. My buddy Tony has a near PERFECT set of seats for my car in the same original blue. I'll be purchasing them from him hopefully soon once he sells his 64 vert. This will save me money from getting my front/rear seats reupholstered with a Jim Wallace kit. Much more to come on this project!
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

Nice man. You actually have the outatime plates, or are they props?
Pat
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Jason,
Good work on the Lincoln. You will have plenty to talk about with Nathan of Driving Dreams. Get him on your podcast. I want to hear the interview!
Rob DeFrang
Robert DeFrang
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks man and thanks for listening!!!! Means a lot. I agree! He would be an awesome guest! Pat, its a prop plate from Univeral. I'm always look for BTTF stuff. I'd like to get the 2015 replica plate.

So my buddy Tony is selling me a cherry set of 64 blue seats. He has a TON of parts cars and plenty of seats in stock but these he acquired via trade and the person that was supposed to get them ended up getting his seats re-done. The leather is super nice and of course original. Can't wait to install these in my car!

New original seats I purchased:

ImageIMG_1897 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1899 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1900 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1901 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1902 by bd94s10, on Flickr

There is one small tear on the side of the front seat but we have a plan to fix it and you won't even be able to tell. I'll treat the leather with nice conditioner! He does have another FULL set of front, rear, and door panels all done in a Jim Wallace kit but that is way more than I need for this car. I'm not looking to win a concourse award. lol.

Here are my original seats which are one of the most worn items on the car.

ImageIMG_2110 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6030 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3915 by bd94s10, on Flickr
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

Nice man. On a somewhat related note, check out this picture of my cousin. Note his shirt :lol:
Attachments
FB_IMG_1520550393652.jpg
Pat
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Oh wow! Now that is cool! I follow her on Instagram. She is awesome! I post some BTTF stuff on my personal Instagram here and there. I forget, are you on the gram?
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

bd94s10 wrote:Oh wow! Now that is cool! I follow her on Instagram. She is awesome! I post some BTTF stuff on my personal Instagram here and there. I forget, are you on the gram?
Yup. I mostly just creep tho, don't post much. @patteahan
Pat
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Haha. I see you posting now. Good stuff! I'll re-share some pics of your car. The plug wires I ordered from Advance Auto Parts showed up however they were previously returned. I can tell as someone already put the ends on and the box looked a bit tore up. Calling them now so they can be replaced. Also, ordered the ballast resistor as the coil calls for it with points - I may update to Pertronix in the future but we will see.

ImageIMG_1923 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Today I'm going to change the thermostat. In a couple weeks I'll be pulling the front of the motor apart to change timing gear, check water pump/diverters, etc.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Lots of threads on this topic so public service announcement. Driving my car today it started without a hitch multiple times. I was leaving the local parts store and boom, would NOT start. Now the car will not start UNLESS I slightly move the neutral safety switch (NSS). On various threads, people mention a clicking sound from a relay in the passenger kick panel area. That is also true in my car. That has nothing to do with the issue as many know. Note the photo of my NSS. It is slightly bent, which I did not do! If you adjust it a tad by hand it will start with no problem. I will get around to adjusting it a tad so I don't have to put my hand under the dash to move it each time.

ImageIMG_1940-2 by bd94s10, on Flickr
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Jason, something isn't right with your new seats. Count the buttons. There should only be six, not seven.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation

Return to “Customized Member Projects”