Simple quick drive shaft needle bearing question

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Simple quick drive shaft needle bearing question

Post by Lee »

LithiumCobalt wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:52 pm Not sure how well brass would work given it’s a soft metal, but who knows.
According to Mark II, you really need brass, because the originals were inferior :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0663.jpeg
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

:lol: :roll: Sounds like Rosen’s marketing for sure!
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Those look like simple brass bushings. No needle bearings at all.
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Why can't you replace the tail shaft with a normal c6 piece? Seems like it would be a lot easier to deal with.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

I’m not sure how easy it would then be to get the splined yoke to match up with the Cardan joint. All Lincolns with the Cardan joint used the slip-bearings (and just because of that severe transition angle IMO).
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:25 am Why can't you replace the tail shaft with a normal c6 piece? Seems like it would be a lot easier to deal with.
Maybe, but then there likely isn't a seal for it. You'd have to replace the whole tailstock with one of similar length. Then we don't know if the newer yokes have the same opening as the 1970 splined yokes.

It's NOT a big deal as the bearings are still out there and they really don't get damaged that often. Just sometimes lost.
There's just not enough 60s Lincolns out there getting this work done.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

It seems there is no such thing as a "simple, quick" needle bearing question!
Lincoln also had weird transmission mounts, so then you would have to change that as well. Really, those bearings should outlast the car, abuse notwithstanding. Driveshafts have been changed when engines are swapped, but I don't see any reason otherwise. Just being weird is no reason, I love every weird thing about these cars!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:25 am Why can't you replace the tail shaft with a normal c6 piece? Seems like it would be a lot easier to deal with.
Swapping out a transmission output shaft, easy? Taking the chance of other possible differences which may balk such a swap? There are a lot of differences between a clap-door C-6 and later versions, some of which we may not even be aware of yet. No, that's too much work to try and achieve a "conventional" result which cannot even be guaranteed to succeed. Like Dan said, the needle bearings are not prone to self-destruction unless they're "helped." This is just one reason why I feel that clap-door cars, especially 'verts, should not be acquired by just anyone whose only qualification may be having an advance on their rich aunt's will, unless they have prior knowledge of the exclusive design details of these cars or are at least willing to learn, regardless of the frustrations. These cars are a lot more special than most care to acknowledge. Marks are easier because they're closer to standard Ford engineering; clap-door Lincolns, on the other hand...

Yes, I see that M2E still sells those brass fillers. I maintain that they will not live up to the propaganda. We already know, and have known for over a generation, how the brass tips of fuel pump pushrods fare over time. How would brass slip-yoke fillers be any different? Does anybody really want to deal with bits of brass in a transmission's innards and all the kilos involved in repairing that sort of damage? Me, I don't think so; Homey don't play dat, especially if there is any credence to NAPA selling replacements of the proper design (which I still have to verify, not taking that on blind faith yet). Even if that doesn't prove to be the case, I still make it a point to salvage any such bearings from organ donors, just to have a stock on-hand should I ever need one. So far, I haven't had such a need; the bearings were still in perfect condition last time I checked them nearly 2 years ago. But I do have one extra full set anyway.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Lee wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:18 pm I’m not sure how easy it would then be to get the splined yoke to match up with the Cardan joint. All Lincolns with the Cardan joint used the slip-bearings (and just because of that severe transition angle IMO).
The Mark iii has the cardan joint with a splined output shaft. It would be interesting to actually compare the dimensions of the pieces from the two different units. I would want to think it could be swapped and if all else failed you could just swap the output shaft and tail shaft housing from a later C6 with a Mark iii yoke!
71 Lincoln Mark iii
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Final answer....

3 Grove output shaft 26 3/4 inches
Splined 2wd output shaft 26 3/4 inches

Now you just need to know the placement of the transmission mount which I would bet to be the same between the two housings.
71 Lincoln Mark iii
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:28 pm The Mark iii has the cardan joint with a splined output shaft. It would be interesting to actually compare the dimensions of the pieces from the two different units. I would want to think it could be swapped and if all else failed you could just swap the output shaft and tail shaft housing from a later C6 with a Mark iii yoke!
That's a good point Chevy. I still suspect the original need for the bearings goes back to that unusual 7* engine angle on the clapdoors. I could see why they wouldn't bother if that angle was less on the Mark III. I tried to find that number, but couldn't. Do you know what yours is?
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Here is a stupid idea I have....

Roller bearing tailshafts are used on really fast drag cars that are towed to the starting line and back to the trailer. The reason for this is the tailshaft bushing will run dry during tow and will eat up the yoke/bushing/seal. I wonder if the engineers knew that many of these car would be sitting parked for months on end and when finally backed out of the garage their would be no oil present between the yoke and the bushing causing pre mature wear. I have a hard time believing its just the driveline angle because the trucks use bushings and when they get over loaded all the driveline angles go to hell.

Looking at pictures of the output shafts online it does appear that the yoke splines are cut much further up the shaft on the Lincoln unit. Because of this I assume the Lincoln yoke would also be longer.
71 Lincoln Mark iii
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

It was probably more of a quality or premium car thing for them trying to make things on the cars be as trouble free as possible.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs