1963 Lincoln Electric Fuel Pump Question

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

hecloco

1963 Lincoln Electric Fuel Pump Question

Post by hecloco »

I know that my 1963 and others have a vapor lock problem and many of the answers to the problem have been answered here but I cannot find the answer I am looking for. I have added a heat shield, I have had the fuel pump rebuilt and just installed a new push rod (comparing it to the old one, there was miniscule wear). My mechanic just installed new fuel lines and a new fuel sending unit (was getting mixed signals on my fuel gauge). I would like to add a supplemental electric fuel pump but my mechanic says (and it makes sense) that installing the electric pump will stop gas flow when it is not on. I want to use the mechanical pump but want the electric one as a backup if vapor lock rears its head again. Is there a special kind of pump that allows fuel flow when in the off position or do we have to add another fuel line with a backflow device. I know this is a simple question for someone out there and any help would be appreciated.
black63lincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: 1963 Lincoln Electric Fuel Pump Question

Post by black63lincoln »

I installed an electric fuel pump just to prime the engine for first time starts and in case I ever get vapor lock. My mechanical pump pulls fuel through it no problem. My pump is on its own switch so I only run it when I need it. Its great, you wont regret it once you fire up your car on a cold morning in two cranks.
Todd
hecloco

Post by hecloco »

Thanks so much Todd. Do you happen to know what kind or brand you used?
black63lincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by black63lincoln »

I dont remember its been awhile. If you do a search on here it is talked about. Its a common pump with low gpm.
Todd
hecloco

Post by hecloco »

OK. Thanks. I had read quite a few of the comments and did not remember seeing it but I will head back to the forum. Thanks again.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I run an Airtex pump #AIX-E8012S with a free flow rate of 30gph and maximum pressure of 9psi. Zero issues w/ vapor lock or lack of fuel flow. Mine runs all the time, though
Mount as close to the tank as possible.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

Second on the airtex. But mine is a 61 and I wish it had the 63 eccentric and pushrod, but I'm stuck with the bronze-tipped pushrod and it craps out after 3 months of summer driving.

And on hot summer days after shutting the car off for a short period, such as refueling, vapor lock is all but guaranteed. And if all the pumping by the airtex will not overcome it, then I just have to wait it out and plan purchasing another pushrod real soon. Should upgrade it but it's a hassle.
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
black63lincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by black63lincoln »

Ken, Im hoping I had your problem. I had a 62 motor in my 63. Had vapor lock issues. I found a low mile 63 motor and installed this spring. I have a electric supplement pump but hope the eccentric will do the trick on its own.
Todd