OH CRAP!!! Another Newbie!!!

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

jtheye
Frequent Contributor

OH CRAP!!! Another Newbie!!!

Post by jtheye »

Hello. My Name is Jason. Glad to have found this forum. As the subject says, another newbie who purchased an oldie. The 64 Lincoln continental seems to be the only car me and my wife agree on as classics go. It is not our first classic, but is the first we both love in modified form. We have picked up a 64 from a gentleman who has decided to pursue another project. Our beginnings are not as ambitious as some have taken on. We bought the car with parts car already in the body shop. The continental was already painted in the pearl white the previous owner choose so we will build from that. Purchased 6 months ago, we should be picking it up from Oregon body shop this Friday and bring it home asap. I will then add more pics of completed body work with all the trim, bumpers, grill etc. put back on. It purrs like a kitten and everything seems to work except power seat. Great base to start from. Have already looked at a wealth of info on this site and know the direction to start in. Cant wait to post more pics and share. I guess at this point the only question I have is where to find the gallery of pictures of all of the other rides. It takes for ever to go thru each thread of projects and all of the postings and was just hoping to go thru nothing but pics for ideas. Also to share some love on all of your Lincolns. As we all know, the pic in our minds of where our cars end up can change with time. At this point since our car is already white, we want to find a way to contrast the chrome parts. Since the chrome pops on black, dark colored cars we have thought maybe to go with black chrome on all standard chrome parts or maybe have them copper and sealed to prevent tarnishing. Throw out some ideas. Yes we plan on putting airbags on it to be able to raise and lower it as much as possible without having to modify fenders or cut out fender wells. Please understand to all of the purists out there, this car is a 64 pieced together with a 65. It has already been painted in a none stock color and I do not have the monetary resources to go backwards and do a purist restoration type of project. Tho me and my wife appreciate your effort and time into your restorations and applaud you for doing that, we ask you do not try and tear down what we want to do with ours. Thanks ahead of time for sharing all the info that has been posted prior to me being here, otherwise my project would never be able to be started..... UPDATE No go on picking up the Lincoln this Friday. Shop had to fire a hand so mine is on back burner for a bit. Doesn't bother me. I would rather wait for the job done right instead of rushed. Will stop in this Friday and get a few pics of some of the chrome back on and post those next. I will try and not to get carried away with posting pics of every angle at every stage of the build. I know all Lincolns look the same sanded down and torn apart. Once done, I will not be holding back.
Attachments
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
IMG_4656.JPG
FullSizeRender (11).jpg
Parts car in front, freshly painted in back
Parts car in front, freshly painted in back
Engine dusty, but solid.  Still needs checking on timing gears, oils changed flushed etc. but starts right up and purrs.
Engine dusty, but solid. Still needs checking on timing gears, oils changed flushed etc. but starts right up and purrs.
Interior is dusty, but we might get away with just cleaning and reconditioning leather.  No rips anywhere.
Interior is dusty, but we might get away with just cleaning and reconditioning leather. No rips anywhere.
IMG955386.jpg
IMG_3292.jpg
IMG_3292.jpg (32.73 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
Last edited by jtheye on Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: OH CRAP!!! Another Newbie!!!

Post by John Mc »

jtheye wrote:Hello. My Name is Jason. Glad to have found this forum. As the subject says, another newbie who purchased an oldie. The 64 Lincoln continental seems to be the only car me and my wife agree on as classics go. It is not our first classic, but is the first we both love in modified form. We have picked up a 64 from a gentleman who has decided to pursue another project. Our beginnings are not as ambitious as some have taken on. We bought the car with parts car already in the body shop. The continental was already painted in the pearl white the previous owner choose so we will build from that. Purchased 6 months ago, we should be picking it up from Oregon body shop this Friday and bring it home asap. I will then add more pics of completed body work with all the trim, bumpers, grill etc. put back on. It purrs like a kitten and everything seems to work except power seat. Great base to start from. Have already looked at a wealth of info on this site and know the direction to start in. Cant wait to post more pics and share. I guess at this point the only question I have is where to find the gallery of pictures of all of the other rides. It takes for ever to go thru each thread of projects and all of the postings and was just hoping to go thru nothing but pics for ideas. Also to share some love on all of your Lincolns. As we all know, the pic in our minds of where our cars end up can change with time. At this point since our car is already white, we want to find a way to contrast the chrome parts. Since the chrome pops on black, dark colored cars we have thought maybe to go with black chrome on all standard chrome parts or maybe have them copper and sealed to prevent tarnishing. Throw out some ideas. Yes we plan on putting airbags on it to be able to raise and lower it as much as possible without having to modify fenders or cut out fender wells. Please understand to all of the purists out there, this car is a 64 pieced together with a 65. It has already been painted in a none stock color and I do not have the monetary resources to go backwards and do a purist restoration type of project. Tho me and my wife appreciate your effort and time into your restorations and applaud you for doing that, we ask you do not try and tear down what we want to do with ours. Thanks ahead of time for sharing all the info that has been posted prior to me being here, otherwise my project would never be able to be started.
Jason, you make me laugh! Welcome and whether bone stock or total blow out custom, we want you here. Also, as I tell all of our newbies, come join the LCOC, and the fun will really begin! Use the link below or PM me for more details. Again welcome to the world of Lincolns and the forum!!
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
wmaloney
Frequent Contributor

Post by wmaloney »

Welcome Jason. In regards to your questions about photos - on the bottom of the home page for the forum website there is a link to the forum as well as a link to an image gallery. That is where you will find numerous car photos which hopefully will be of some assistance to you.
Bill
Bill Maloney
1963 LC Convertible
1965 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Post by jtheye »

Thanks, will get to looking at pics immediately. I am sure I am not the only one who has spent hours looking at pics trying to decide what direction to take their car.
Last edited by jtheye on Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Welcome!

Where ya' from?
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

Welcome
Pat
Bagged 1964 Lincoln Continental
My Air Ride Install, My FiTech EFI Install
Flaco11b

Post by Flaco11b »

Welcome
1966 Lincoln Continental
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

Welcome! great site, great people!
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

Welcome and good luck with your project. All Lincoln lovers are welcome here whether bone stock, resto-mod or highly modified, or anything in between.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Post by jtheye »

Thanks for the welcomes. I thought I had so little to do to this Lincoln, but after reading about timing gears, none zinc oils and wondering about the lack of lead in our gasoline I realize how much I have to do. Now the problem is I am afraid of even starting the car to load it onto our trailer when the time comes. Oh well. Shell out or pull up the sleeves.
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Post by jtheye »

Oops, Live in Lewiston Idaho area. Yes I know, "where is that?" Best way to describe is right on the Idaho/Washington boarder where the Clearwater River and Snake River meet before heading to the Columbia. 6 hours north of Boise Idaho, two hours south of Coeur d'Alene Idaho, 6 hours east of Portland Oregon, 5 1/2 hours southeast of Seattle Washington, 3 hours west of Missoula Montana. Cant wait to start hanging out with everyone in between.
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Post by jtheye »

Pic with most of the chrome put back on. Very dusty because of it being I. The body shop. Still has to be cu and polished ith a little more assembly of trim and such. Hopefully get to pic up within the month.
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

jtheye wrote:Oops, Live in Lewiston Idaho area. Yes I know, "where is that?" Best way to describe is right on the Idaho/Washington boarder where the Clearwater River and Snake River meet before heading to the Columbia. 6 hours north of Boise Idaho, two hours south of Coeur d'Alene Idaho, 6 hours east of Portland Oregon, 5 1/2 hours southeast of Seattle Washington, 3 hours west of Missoula Montana. Cant wait to start hanging out with everyone in between.
Here is link to forum members location map. Add yourself to it and you can also see any other members in your neck of the woods.
Welcome!!!
http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 50&t=40186
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
epbendel1
Frequent Contributor

Post by epbendel1 »

Welcome to the farm Forum and good luck with your project. It looks like your interior is a golden beige, just like mine. Look at your data plate on the driver's door and see if the interior code is 89. If so, that means your interior is Palomino. You can look at the same data plate and see what color your car was originally. If you have manual or do a search online you can find the translator for all of the codes on the data plate.
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Welcome to the Forum! I am one of those purists you spoke about, but I have seen the light :D Anybody who saves one of these cars is a hero in my book and with the expense and time involved no matter what way you go with it, you should definitely do it the way that makes you happy. Best of luck on your project and I will look forward to seeing it come alive again. I think you'll find the people here friendly and willing to help in any way we can. I'm probably just the wrong one to talk to about black chrome :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: Just kidding. :smt006
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair

Return to “Customized Member Projects”