3D Parts Printing

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 3D Parts Printing

Post by Dan Szwarc »

OK, I finally watched the video and realized a few things. They are making castings out of the 3D printed parts. Then polishing or machining as necessary.
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Dan,

If they are reasonably priced, I am in for a full (16 piece for vert) set also. Not sure if I will ever need them but as my mother said ... better to have them and not need them; than need them and not have them !!! :D
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
C1VF
Frequent Contributor

Post by C1VF »

I just sent the first set of clips out to Dan for evaluation.
20170328_161613.jpg
Might take a few tries to get them to fit exactly right, but once the part is proven to work and fit properly, I will be able to figure out a fair price.

Joe G. :geek:
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I'm sorry I haven't tested these yet. I found one design defect, but it's not C1's fault. We didn't print the thin tabs that project from the sides and stand between the trim and the body to prevent rubbing. They often are broken off the tabs and mistaken for flash. My originals were lacking the tabs so he didn't print them.

I'm deep into my brakes and cruise control. I should have a sample evaluation next week after Zombie Jesus Day.
C1VF
Frequent Contributor

Post by C1VF »

Sounds good, Dan. I'm in no hurry.

I looked closely at your original sample and can see evidence of where those broken off tabs were. Looks like they were about .025" thick, and the width of the indent in the side, but I have no way of knowing their length.
OriginalLincClipEdge.jpg
OriginalLincClipEdge.jpg (37.68 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
Here's my best guess:
lincoln-ClipTab.jpg
If anyone has an intact original one of these clips (C6VB-5321094-A1), and be would be so kind as to post a picture that clearly shows the thin spacer tab, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks.

Joe
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

That looks great.

I tried the parts and installed three of them. The snap in well and hold the trim very tightly.

IMG_5260.JPG
IMG_5262.jpg
Invisible.
Invisible.
You correctly identified the tabs. They do need to be there.
lincoln-ClipTab.jpg
lincoln-ClipTab.jpg (9.29 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
Increase its width away from the center by about 1-2mm. Apparently, that little shelf is supposed to sit between the trim and the body so the trim does not actually contact the paint and cause rub-throughs or rust.

Sorry, but I don't have a precise dimension. I always though these tabs were just flash because they were so thin and they snapped right off when handled (probably due to brittleness from age). However, a 66 features brochure actually showed a cross-section of them and described their true function.

Sorry, but I do NOT have a precise dimension. I can get one from my trim (or any piece of 66-69 trim). It's the width of the trim at the bottom-most curve. I'll find it or another clip before I lose the tab.

In addition, my car has them in places the picture from the MPC does not show them as used, so the quantity I specified is incorrect.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Here's what I found in the 66 Data book. You can just barely make out the clip in this cross-section view.
Attachments
66 Trim Clips
66 Trim Clips
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Use 25.4mm total width across the two tabs. It appears to be enough to guarantee it will be under the peak without sticking out too far.
C1VF
Frequent Contributor

Post by C1VF »

Okay, here's version 2. 3D printing the tabs has been a challenge due to the limitations of my printer. The 3D printing process doesn't do well with overhangs, especially thin overhangs like those spacer tabs.

What I was able to do is make the tabs as separate pieces that dovetail into the main piece.
NewLinclip.jpg
With this design, I can print the tabs and the main piece flat side down and avoid overhangs.
NewLinclip2.jpg
Here's my first assembled test piece.
NewLinclip3.jpg
NewLinclip4.jpg
NewLinclip4.jpg (70.42 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
I'll make up a few of these and send them to you, Dan. I'm thinking this should work.

Thanks for posting the cross section, that was helpful.

Joe G.
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Great work! It looks fantastic. Hopefully it functions as well as it looks. Based on what you said, is there a big difference in quality based on the printer being used?
Robert DeFrang
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Dan Szwarc wrote:C1VF is working on the 66-only trim clips for me. They fit the square holes used only in 1966 (sedans, coupes, and convertibles).

It is C6VY-53 21094-A Nylon Trim Clip.

10 are used per car if it is a 66 coupe and 16 per car if it is a sedan or conv.

If anyone is interested, we may make them available. Even if you don't need these clips now, if you EVER remove your trim, you will break some or all of them.
Based on my car, I think the shop manual is wrong.

My car has square holes for the nylon retainers on the rear quarters. That's 8 more per side, or 16 more per sedan (22 more for a coupe).

Based on the theory that a coupe has the same requirements, I'm amending the counts needed per car.

Coupe: 32 pcs needed
Sedan or Conv: 32 pcs needed.

How convenient! They ended up the same! And if I'm wrong, you have spares.

My trim has not budged. After my cross-country trip, I'll let you know if a clip breaks (I doubt it). Te material appears to be very strong, although I'm not sure what is going to happen when the they sit in the hot sun under tension for several hours and days and then go through vibration!
msloquet
Frequent Contributor

Post by msloquet »

RMAENV wrote:Not sure if this post belongs here or not. What I am sure is Dan will like the 6 minute video and move it if he wants. It looks like 3D printing (in lots of materials including metal) is making it's way to and through the restoration business. Sure we can contact them also. Definitely worth watching the 6 minute video click on the link...

https://myclassicgarage.com/social/post ... -271913585
This is brilliant.
loquet
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

My parts appear to be pulled out by my trim. Will post an update after May 22.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

OMG, I can't believe I didn't realize one can now 3D print gaskets and rubber parts like boots and seals!

Who is going to print those damn seals that go on the bell-cranks for 60s Lincolns? The accelerator shaft boot?

Who is going to 3D print weather-stripping rubber ends? Over steel like original?

Who is going to 3D print flexible gaskets for taillights and turn signal lenses?
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

And who's going to print those metal impregnated rubber gaskets that go between the doors on slabsides? Mine looked so bad I did not re-install them...Wayne

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”