1965 LCC Restore by Jedf16 Update 1

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Jedf16

1965 LCC Restore by Jedf16 Update 1

Post by Jedf16 »

Well, I was hopeful and now I am not so. I have no idea if I have alot of rust (yes) or a normal amount (I don't think so). I for sure do not have a california car. But again, I am a newbie and have ZERO point of reference right now. The more I dug, the more depressed I have gotten. I am hoping I do not have a parts car now but after talking with the body shop guy I'm currently using - he say's it's all fixable. I sure hope so. I am looking for your opinions here.

Basically floor rusted thru on Passenger side. Not worried about that. On passanger side - side just below the doors - pretty bad. As well as back seat drivers side (I can put my finger thru for outside to inside) Anyhow - It will be fixed. or not. I don't really know for sure.

Also - I was planning on getting windows and top operation before I tear into the dash - looking for thoughts on this as well. Maybe better to just strip is all out and then put back together after bodywork/paint. IDK what would be better and have not committed one way or the other yet. Lot's of wire repair need, but that is for another post.

Ask questions or make inputs as you see fit. FYI, trying to catch up from start to now, so I did not do all this in a day.

Thanks Jed, and now....the pictures
Attachments
carpet gone
carpet gone
Insulation gone
Insulation gone
Front Passanger side = hole just below Door  Floor pan gone
Front Passanger side = hole just below Door Floor pan gone
Area below where front seat would be
Area below where front seat would be
Back seat passenger side below door
Back seat passenger side below door
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1965 LCC Restore by Jedf16 Update 1

Post by defrang »

Jed,
Rich Liana told me that if there is anything more than surface rust on the unit body rocker panel area, then he will not restore a 61-7 convertible because it will flex and be unsafe. Not fixable with any amount of money according to Rich and he should know. I attached a photo of that area from my car. The area that looks like big pinch spot welds has to be solid. If its just floor pans that are rusted, then they can be replaced.
Rob
Attachments
image1.JPG
Robert DeFrang
Jedf16

Post by Jedf16 »

Well, that is not good news for me. How do I get in touch with Rich Liana?
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

http://www.lianarestorationsllc.com/

Rich is one of the top Lincoln restorers in the country. He's probably backed up for quite some time, but give him a call.
Jedf16

Post by Jedf16 »

OK - from what info that has been shared by you guys so far - I believe I am now a proud owner of a parts car. That of ofcourse this to be verified when I speak to Rich or someone like Rich and relay my dilemma. But my gut feeling is - I will be taking a different route. What does that mean? I will find a new body with a solid frame (Unit body rocker panels) No rust. I am touch with a few folks already who will take a look at their current invetory to see if they have what I need. So I am expecting this new "Hulk" will cost me a couple grand. That is TBD

Thanks for the info. I will ofcourse update when I figure out the way ahead. Please keep the comments coming. Much appreciated. Wisdom and experince is sometimes expensive.

Jed
Jedf16

Post by Jedf16 »

Well. Ding dong the 65 be dead. Too much rust to economically repair. Bad news - I'm new and my learning comes at a price. Good news - I do have a path forward and my learning is paying off. I have a few leads on where to get a "shell" and I figure the process of finding and then getting the proper frame will take a few months. In the meantime I will be striping everything off the car and prep the parts and pieces for the replacement

I will share those projects in future updates
black63lincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by black63lincoln »

Hope you have good luck finding a shell. Thats definitely a hard lesson.
Todd
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

My 66 had rusty inner floor pans similar to yours, Jedf16. I cut out and welded in new patches. You can read about it here:
http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 38&t=45016

The important part is the integrity of the box section of the rocker for true strength.

I think with enough steel and reinforcement, any car can be restored. Even a 66 Lincoln with rusty rockers can be beefed up and repaired.
It will be heavier than original, but everyone gains weight in their old age. ;-)

Such a repair is not for the feint of heart. If a company like Lehmann Peterson can lengthen a unibody Lincoln by stretching the rockers, then anyone with the right tools can.

All cars flex. Even brand new Lincolns flex. Steel bends. It's just how much flex is significant.

In general, our cars are very unsafe compared to a modern car (this is not debatable no matter how adamant you are that it isn't). Calling a rusty Lincoln unsafe is like saying it's safer to fall from the 10th story instead of the 12th. You're dead if you do no matter what happens.