Disc conversion with larger wheels

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Brendellajet
Occasional Visitor

Disc conversion with larger wheels

Post by Brendellajet »

Gentlemen,

Looking for some guidance on my 63 Continental. Currently all stock. Looking to do the 65-69 disc conversion. Has anyone ever done this with a set of larger wheels? Planning a set of 22's and want to make sure the factory discs are up to the challenge. Booster and master cylinder upgrades will be part of the project.

Alternatively, I was entertaining the idea of using the Jeep SRT rotors and larger calipers if the new wheels have too much mass for the original brakes. Full machine shop sith an experienced fabricator at my disposal so any fabrication needed is a phone call and a 6 pack away.

Happy new year!
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Disc conversion with larger wheels

Post by burnski »

Check these guys out http://www.classicperform.com
Pat
Bagged 1964 Lincoln Continental
My Air Ride Install, My FiTech EFI Install
Brendellajet
Occasional Visitor

Post by Brendellajet »

Thanks for the link. I've seen and used their stuff before. Unfortunately I don't think much of their support and have read of a bunch of problems on line. If I have to use them I will, but I'd like to hear of any experiences with the stock system before I choose them.

If I do go with CPP, I may upgrade to the later model Lincoln spindles just to eliminate a bracket(early kits have 2 per spindle).
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Wheel conversions are a very dubious venture, although many don't realize it because they're so besotted by the popularity. You must make sure that any non-stock wheel, along with the tire that goes on it, is capable of handling the load. The factory wheels were designed to handle the weight of the car; you cannot say the same for certain about wagon wheels without seeing the specs on paper. And a '63 Continental--in fact, any Suicide of any year--is no feather.

I knew a guy who wanted to put cutesy non-stocks on his '73 Mark IV. When he tried, he learned the hard way that he would shred tires every two or three months due to the car's sheer weight. He ended up back with the stock wheels.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Brendellajet
Occasional Visitor

Post by Brendellajet »

Plenty of Lincoln's running the wheels I'm looking at. Not worried about it, bit appreciate the concern. That's why I'm asking about the brakes. Need to make sure they are up to the task.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Yes, and those plenty Lincolns are not run on a regular basis. If they were, there would be plenty reverts back to stock. I seriously doubt that all the owners did the homework on load and safety requirements...or if they did, they probably didn't care because they'd use the car only for once-a-month parading on slow streets. I can assure you that they would all be in a world of hurt if they tried using their cars like Frankenstein. I'm just saying, do your homework. Don't just go for flash.

But back to your brakes: Good luck if you go with the non-stock kit. Remember to install the appropriate proportioning and metering valves into the system; they're critical for good braking. I saw a '62 in New Orleans just a couple days ago, with a non-stock disc conversion and "les wheels," and the guy holding it for the owner said the car had a dangerous problem with its brakes losing fluid. Looking inside the engine bay, I could see that whoever did the conversion did not bother to put in those valves. It's no wonder the owner didn't take it with him to California...and I'll bet a week's pay he doesn't even realize he needs them.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Brendellajet
Occasional Visitor

Post by Brendellajet »

That's why I'd rather use the stock system. I'm not really a fan of the cheap aftermarket systems. Just concerned about the additional mass of the new wheels over working the stock components. A larger rotor would help keep things cooler presumably. But then I'm using a bracket to relocate the caliper.

Ideally I can use the stock setup. Car doesn't get driven a lot, bit I'd like to know it was right when it is.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

:smt023 Quite right.
"Question Authority!"

Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

I was looking on line and found it very hard to find all the right parts to work for my car and find parts that weren't beat to hell and After finding stuff that might work it was almost the same cost as a aftermarket kit. I have 22 inch rims on my car and wanted a big brake kid. I did read the cpp reviews and some are bad and others are good. After getting the kit I was amazed with how big the brake calipers and disc are. Also they give you all the parts and machined adapter for it to work with my car. I will be installing once it gets a litter warmer and I finish my fender wells. I added some pictures of what I got. I also got the master cylinder kit and it comes with the proportioning valve build it the kit. By the way I put the included wheel studs in the hub to see if it fix my 22 inch wheel and it fit perfect. They also give you very detailed instruction in each box on how to install and what not to do.
Attachments
Master cylinder kit
Master cylinder kit
proportioning valve included
proportioning valve included
IMG_0379.jpg
wheel hub machined to fit car
wheel hub machined to fit car
adapter machined for car
adapter machined for car
IMG_0390.jpg
huge caliper
huge caliper
IMG_0398.jpg
big brake disc vented and slotted
big brake disc vented and slotted
1962 Lincoln bagged
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

Newchapters wrote:I was looking on line and found it very hard to find all the right parts to work for my car and find parts that weren't beat to hell and After finding stuff that might work it was almost the same cost as a aftermarket kit. I have 22 inch rims on my car and wanted a big brake kid. I did read the cpp reviews and some are bad and others are good. After getting the kit I was amazed with how big the brake calipers and disc are. Also they give you all the parts and machined adapter for it to work with my car. I will be installing once it gets a litter warmer and I finish my fender wells. I added some pictures of what I got. I also got the master cylinder kit and it comes with the proportioning valve build it the kit. By the way I put the included wheel studs in the hub to see if it fix my 22 inch wheel and it fit perfect. They also give you very detailed instruction in each box on how to install and what not to do.
Can you share the part numbers for each of the pieces? summit carries CPP so I'm not worried about reviews/customer service/fitment because summit is awesome and will make it right.
Pat
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

I have a 1962 but they have kits for different years. Also they always have a 10% off sale and they give you a free t-shirt and fender cover.
Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 2.10.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 2.09.42 PM.png
1962 Lincoln bagged
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

Did you do rear brakes too?
Pat
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

I just did the front right now but will add the rear when I get so more money saved. Its always something that needs to be fixed, worked on or replaced.
1962 Lincoln bagged
Brendellajet
Occasional Visitor

Post by Brendellajet »

Anyone use the CPP master cylinder & proportioning valve combo? Could save me an afternoon or more of flaring lines and bending brake tube if I go that route. My booster was replaced by the previous owner so I don't want to replace that, but concerned about fit between the aftermarket MC and OG booster.

Thanks!
NewLincolnMan
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NewLincolnMan »

I put together this hydraulic brake assist kit for the lincolns. Works very well, 3x the pressure compared to vacuum assist. Let me know if you need more info.

Alex
562.682.2042 (m)

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 15&t=49375

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”