22inch wheels

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 22inch wheels

Post by TonyC »

Well, I am by no means into that wagon-wheel fad; if I were, I would've bought a 1866 Studebaker Conestoga. And the mule to drag it. That said, I have to concede that Jtheye's wheels look very good, and even blend with the rest of the car. Looks like the best use of $4Gs for something like that...at least where looks are concerned.

Now, I have a question that really burns in me. Just how are wheels like that rated? All I ever see is their dimensions, nothing about their load ratings or tire lives. Wheels need to be chosen according to the weight of the car for them to be practical, so does anyone factor in load-bearing when they shop around? I just can't see those thin tires lasting long with regular use (to say nothing of abuse).

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Re: 22inch wheels

Post by jtheye »

Very valid concerns. I am the first to concede these are overly expensive. Many cheaper and practical choices for after market. I am assured by Isotope wheels that each wheel has a 3000lb rating. What you obviously give up is sidewall on the tire which drastically affects the ride. You will feel every bump, hump, pebble and rut in the road. You run a higher risk of damage to the rim itself from hittling solid objects because of a lack of sidewall. As far as the strength of the tire itself there are no problems. I own a 2013 ford flex that weighs in just over 6000lbs and came with factory 20"wheels and 40 profile tires. The last setup of tire i bought comes with a a 80000 mile warranty. The obvious statement is "these wheels and tires are bought for total aesthetics not handling.......
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”