It's my first!! 66 conti. and this Mom wants a mirror shine!

Post your cleaning and detailing techniques, questions, product recommendations, etc. in this sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

laura

It's my first!! 66 conti. and this Mom wants a mirror shine!

Post by laura »

Evenin all!! new 66 owner and a bit clueless at that. hearing it's a "barn find" and i'm assuming that's a good thing! Question being about the way I should go about giving her back her former luster? This is my first and i'm excited and scared at the same time. My desire stems from being born in Sept. of 1970 and my father surprised my mother with a 1970 Lincoln Continental to bring me home in. 1979 at 40 my Dad was called away to work "above". My early memories are filled with Lincolns-be them Conti. or towncar(this one had my elementary school classmates believing I was driven around in a Limo.) I know the 66 is not my year but seeing the flip up Lincoln trunk key hole just did me in. The 5 ashtrays are a strong 2nd. Opera lights and the small crank for the lil'window up front are priceless to me. This came across in a conversation and we threw the $1500.00 into the ring. I can't believe the spotless carpet followed by seats that are perfect-door panels that are almost too good to be true. The entire dash is incredible. the entire interior is incredible for that matter. The chrome has no pitting and all the panels show no rust-including door jams, hood and trunk pans-it's remarkable. The state of mobility is yet to be seen so for now i'm going to focus on the exterior. Do we through some nice wide white walls on(my favorite)? it had rained a little before the purchase so i'm just deciding it needs a shine. Who recommends what's? I'd love to be able to do this as right as I can-but man i'm green-45 yo mom of 2 boys and a husband that makes 3-some will say I have no business here but I believe if you have a passion for something you need to answer that passion to the best of ones ability!! Who knows it could be a quick flip or it could be a forever type thing--whichever-I'd like to do it right!! Never blogged before so if i'm doing it wrong and it's tickin you off I've got thick skin fire away. Just looking for some guidance!! laura(the 15 year veteran florist turned Mom turned lacky for our welding biz Lakeside Welding-we make pole holders. cooler racks, boat T-tops in aluminum full custom-I get to cut pipe, file , wirewheel, detail all pcs. on completion, and here's the best part-clean the shop!!! Guess I needed some type of suicide--glad it's the doors!!)
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: It's my first!! 66 conti. and this Mom wants a mirror sh

Post by Steve K »

Laura, welcome to the forum. As I am sure will be echoed by the other forum members, you are absolutely welcome and as far as I'm concerned, there is no way of doing it wrong as far as writing about your car. Your "passion" is shared by all of us. When it comes down to the guts it takes to keep one of these beautiful cars on the road, the passion for it is probably the only reason any of us do. Indeed, there are many obstacles to overcome on the journey of owning and driving one of these but persistence, taking your time, and being patient will get you over them in good order.

A few words of advice. Get yourself a service manual for your year and model of car. They can be found on ebay and I think a 20 dollar contribution to this forum (it's run by contributions at no charge to the members. The information available here in worth its weight in gold. You can send a private message to Dan Szwarc who owns and runs this forum and he'll give you the details on that. You simply can't survive without a shop manual and use of the master parts catalog available to you here. To send a private message go to the User Control Panel up at the top.

Second, learn to send pictures. We love pictures and they help almost more than anything in answering your questions. Your first question about bringing the shine back is a great example. By seeing the current condition of the car, we can better answer your questions about products and techniques for cleaning her up. Down the road, you'll find that sending pictures of broken stuff and things that need repair will be a fantastic help to everyone in giving you the best advice.

As for being a "Barn Find" that can be a good thing or a not so good thing depending on how it was stored and how long it sat without service or attention. I'm not exactly saying you have the cart before the horse, but you are going to want to get it running and driving and STOPPING as your first priorities. There are things you can do to get her running and driving again that can help you avoid catastrophic damage rather than just putting in a battery and some gas and going for it. The cars are picky and need specific types of things like brake fluid and power steering fluid. Something as simple as dumping in the wrong oil, or other fluids can slow you down and in some cases cause extreme damage.

There is a section here called Usual Suspects. That is a term for the well known places to obtain parts and services for these cars. Get to know the Search function up at the top of the page. If it concerns these cars, there is probably not a question you could have that has not been answered or discussed by others. You can spend hours here learning the ropes around your new car.

Ask all the questions you want. We are happy to help and will. Aside from the suggestions I've already given you, I am sure others will add to my list. I suggest you start by posting some pictures of your car inside, outside, under the hood, in the trunk and underneath to the best of your ability. Those will give the members here the opportunity to assess your purchase and give you pointers for getting started.

Rust is the number one enemy. If you bought a 66 in good condition without a lot of rust for 1500 you got a great deal...assuming of course that it wasn't parked in that barn because the motor is blown or the transmission is dead. I would definitely sort that stuff out before you go to the expense of the wide white walls. Once you know it's a keeper, then by all means go for it. It's your car and your passion. As the saying around here goes, there is no one way to go as long as you keep one of these great cars on the road. You will see them restored to new, as daily drivers, as customs, as modified, and virtually every way you can imagine.

Welcome and I look forward to seeing pictures and hearing more. By the way, you are not the only lady owner here. And I say more power to you for taking this on. Now get your husband fired up too so he can help with some of the heavy lifting and dirty work. They are also great family projects.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
laura

Post by laura »

Chad--Thank-you!!! Your welcome was very nice! I'm getting the camera out and following your advise on how to gather a start. You tip of being slow and well thought out is so practical and smart-I thank-you for handing us some things that we wouldn't even think of that literally could make or break a number of situations. I look forward to your response as well as others. With all the worlds madness how nice is it to just stare in awe at a mass of steel and grin from ear to ear!?! Powerful! Thx-Laura
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Check out the cleaning & Detailing posts here. If you are dedicated to the best shine you can get I would start with a clay bar kit ( Maguires or Mothers) that will get the dirt and grit out of the paint, then seal and wax.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Oh... My... GLOB, are you in for a shock. I think it's great that a mother of 2 is willing to work on a 49 year-old car, but 60s Lincolns are not for the feint of heart. There are many unique and quirky designs utilized on our Lincolns that have taken me 17 years to learn. I'm 46 and learn something new every day about my 66 (good choice, by the way).

I wish someone would compile a thread on what every newbie 60s owner should know.

My first advice is to read about your car. Here, everywhere on the Internet. Don't look for something specific. Read everything. Learn. LEARN! Be willing to commit time and effort toward your Lincoln.

As a parent, what is your responsibility to your children? To raise them, teach them, and educate them so they can go out on their own and have their own lives without you, right? RIGHT?

Here, that is my job. But like a responsible parent, I don't do the work for you. I give you the tools (this forum), And the books (service manuals and such, which aren't necessarily free), with the help of your classmates and friends (other members here) so that you may take the tests (repairing your car) and go out into the world (drive it and enjoy it), knowing you are prepared for life's challenges (the next breakdown) when they happen. Also, I am less of a parent and more of a sensei. I may ask you to answer your own question the same way a strict teacher would of his students.

So, I welcome you. Be prepared to be encouraged to find the answer yourself. We will point you in the right direction and not always just give your the solution.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

And now to answer a few questions:
Do we throw some nice wide white walls on(my favorite)?
My answer: NO. Wide Whitewalls would NOT be the right look for this car. The correct whitewall width is 3/4 to 1". Wide WWs went out in the early 60s before 1963. They might look "cool" but why not put wooden wagon wheels on it or those awful wire-wheels? Show the car some respect and keep it looking the way god and its designers intended.

Note: It's your car. You can do what you want. But if you ask a question which can be answered with a potential opinion for an answer, you will get it.
The state of mobility is yet to be seen so for now i'm going to focus on the exterior.
I think you have this backwards, but here's my IMHO: Work on mechanicals FIRST. Make it safe to drive first, then fix the looks. If you run out of money, at least you might be able to drive the car while it looks bad instead of looking great broken down in your driveway or garage. However, it is, of course, your choice what to work on first.
...Lakeside Welding
In New Jersey?
Who knows it could be a quick flip or it could be a forever type thing--whichever-I'd like to do it right!! Never blogged before so if i'm doing it wrong and it's tickin you off I've got thick skin fire away. Just looking for some guidance!!
I've seen a lot of people come and go here in 15 years. Which one will you be?

Few make money flipping Lincolns these days. I find the happiest people are ones in it for the long haul. The excitement wears off after the first few repairs and the next few inevitable break-downs. 60s Lincolns change owners like the a drunk hops bars.

Click on the 66 Convertible Link in my signature if you want to see some serious business.
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

I am with the others in that the car should be made safe and reliable before spending a lot of money and energy making it look good, but there is nothing wrong with making the car presentable while you are getting your priorities set and the cash to make the changes needed.

Start with a good hand car wash with a good car wash soap. Then go to the Meguires site and select the products needed to accomplish the results you are looking for. Use the HOW TO Advice tab and then the Product Adviser tab to get you to the product selection.

http://www.meguiars.com/
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new Lincoln. If the car has been sitting a long time, or its mechanical condition is in question then proceed cautiously and make sure all mechanicals are working properly before driving. Have fun!
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
laura

Post by laura »

jeff- it's being delivered today the 17th around 2:00 eastern time!! so many fantastic feelings are running amuck-blows opening day out of the woods!! my first plan is just to get the exterior hand washed and waxed(a great days project) the interior is spot on-so i'm REALLY going to REALLY try to take the undertaking of the mechanics slow and methodic.I'm not putting a price or a time frame on #66-i've learned that projects usually cost double and usually double the time frame you try and set. I have a few pole holders to build over the next 10 days so she'll be washed and i'll probably sit behind the wheel for undisclosed amounts of time which will make the husband REALLY happy that I won't be a parrot on his shoulder. Have to give him a lot of credit just knowing who he's married too!!! well, while I wait i'm off to get a welcome dinner planned and made-for some reason my long time trusted mechanic-some hunt buddies-and a few neighbors just happen to all run out of food at the same time!! One more thing I have to tell Dan- ok I checked out your "serious business"--SHOW OFF your out of control MR.!! Please know your time addressing me is not and will not fall on deaf ears. How'd you know Lakeside in Jersey? And I promise 3/4" to 1"!! I'll send photos, Sensei!!!! Laura
jeffmounce
Frequent Contributor

Post by jeffmounce »

Hi Laura,
I restored my first car (a Buick) about 16 years ago. I did it ass backwards and did all the pretty stuff first, paint, upholstery, chrome, etc. So I had a car that looked really nice but ran and handled like crap. (in fact it barely ran). I then got serious and completely rebuilt and in many cases upgraded all the mechanicals, it took me 7 years to finish that car but it was worth it. This past winter and spring was spent getting the mechanical condition of my new project dialed in (a '70 Mark III). The result is a pretty cool car that I can actually drive. Now I can work on some of the cosmetic stuff during the winter when the weather isn't so great for driving. So, just like everyone else here, my suggestion is to make sure you can safely drive the car and get it mechanically right first. You will be pretty happy having a car you can drive and work on at the same time.
I spend time reading threads that interest me here every day to improve my knowledge of my car and car restoration in general. There is an amazing amount of information here and nice people to help you out.
Good luck with your project.
Jeff Mounce
'70 Continental Mark III, '70 Buick Skylark
2000 Chevy Silverado, 2010 Mercedes Benz E350,
2012 Audi S5
1973 Mark IV Fanatic
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1973 Mark IV Fanatic »

Welcome aboard, Laura! I'm getting a lot of pleasure following this thread, and it's nice to see another person around my age (46) that loves vintage Lincolns, and is enthusiastic about taking on the responsibility of keeping one on the road. I agree that the restoration and maintenance of your car will be a great project for your whole family, and something you can all be proud of. I own a detailing business, so feel free to pick my brain about which products to use, and how to use them. I am in complete agreement with everyone else, in that you should take care of all of the mechanicals first, for all of the reasons they stated. I totally get where you're coming from, though! No doubt, there will be plenty of little things that you will want to do to improve your car's appearance when and while you can, so certainly no harm in doing so; your efforts in that regard will only serve to increase your pride in the car. Try not to create double work (and quite possibly expense) for yourself. By that, I mean that it would be a shame to get the car all polished up, only to have to, for example, remove the engine and risk scratching or otherwise damaging the front fenders in the process. As Dan said, learn everything you can about your car. Just take it slow and easy, and you'll be fine.
Jim Weller 1986 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition, 1996 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series, 2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Another 46er? The sons and daughters of 1969 rule!
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

youngins. 1953 ROCKS!!! :clap: :dance: :smt006 :D
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
laura

Post by laura »

ok you guys crack me up--it's like being in a room with my 7 older brothers(yes older-i'm 45 not 46 like some of you!!snicker/snicker!! and a nice nod to Yardley's 53!!) as the flatbed pulled up i got a heat surge up my spine so i race to my back door grab my boots and guide the driver to "the spot"!! it actually rolled of the flat bed and stopped where i needed it too quiet nicely !! the last inspection sticker reads 97 and thinking about Dan's babies i explained to #66 that she is my first and whatever takes place between us I'm going to educate myself on each act of improvement before it takes place and really try do this to the best of my ability (#66 looks at me and says oh! christ! here we go!!) home alone at that point i stole some time to just sit and stare-then flipped up the iconic Lincoln trunk lock cover and checked it out. 3 full size tires 8 yes 8 mint cond. hub-caps-a box of spark plugs in their lil'boxes and some other misc. things. so, the only thing that i felt i needed to do at that point was get in!!! unbelievably i had LOTS of room--now a days i think the only way to get that kinda of rear space is to buy a truck just not a Ranger or an S-10--#66 has them beat by far. I hop out of there and reverse open the bonnet-neat feature-and at that moment of looking down i realize i don't know what half of it is(i know "Brilliant" great idea - let's buy a car that's older then i am!! piece of cake!!) Closed that down and made my way to the drivers side. Wow! i'm finding out that i like chrome-not to the point of someone calling it "bling"- and #66 has it in all the right places with no pitting. All the tires are inflated and holding--so naturally it's time to experience the opening of this massive beauty- love love love the suicide doors-I have never opened this kind of door--i mean ya sure i've seen them on tv and in conversations just never in person. It really was just like i thought it would be. LOVE IT!!! climb on in and just look everywhere and at that point a calmness came over me (THANKS DAN!!!! Seeing how it gets done right in your gallery photos has made me want to puke!!!) i'm so glad the calmness finally arrived!! I now know without a question that #66 is breathe taking. OK now this is my plan for today--she's getting hand washed and the interior is going to be wiped down and i'm cleaning the windows--right there is the level i comfortable with. Draining fluids, filling fluids, replacing batteries, plugs, wires or anything that is categorized as such I will be an on looker who will be taught things while there happening, keeping tools organized and getting which ever ones are being asked for, the label-er of all small parts and keeping them organized-best of all i am the official "cleaner upper". Dan, you have me reading everything and asking the guys questions-just not to many-I want to learn and be involved so I'm reading and keeping my mouth shut. Still building my pole holders-that will keep me close to the action just not at a pain in the ass level . ok going to clean'er up and take some pics.Wish me luck and Thanks boys--Laura