I'm Back!! With a new 64 project

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: I'm Back!! With a new 64 project

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Wow!! I love that look.
Rob
suburban_gorilla
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by suburban_gorilla »

My ignorance will be revealed with this question but I'll ask anyway..... can you drive the car at all when it is that low? I get you won't be able to turn but can you go straight? for example if you are in a parade or something?

thanks
Omar

Toronto, Canada.
1962 Lincoln Continental, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE, 2017 BMW X5
2008 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS [sold], 2008 Honda Pilot [sold], 1987 Cadillac Brougham D'elegance [sold], 2007 Acura CSX [gone]
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

suburban_gorilla wrote:My ignorance will be revealed with this question but I'll ask anyway..... can you drive the car at all when it is that low? I get you won't be able to turn but can you go straight? for example if you are in a parade or something?

thanks
It's an air bag suspension so you simply inflate the bags up to ride height and off you go.

Josh- that's one way to get a low cost four link, be the guinea pig for the first one! Looking forward to more pictures.
suburban_gorilla
Dedicated Enthusiast

i know it has bags.

how far up do you have to raise it to be able to drive? what happens if something fails while you are driving and it airs all the way out? or what happens if there is a problem and the car is layed out and it has to get towed?
Omar

Toronto, Canada.
2008 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS [sold], 2008 Honda Pilot [sold], 1987 Cadillac Brougham D'elegance [sold], 2007 Acura CSX [gone]
Suicide65
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Suicide65 »

64 is bagged!
Devious Customs in SoCal made a new 4 link for this car and will be making kits for the 64-69 Lincolns. Super high quality Johnny Joints, bilstein shocks, all tig welded.

Suicide65
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Suicide65 »

smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

Looks awesome! I like the lower links being greased and that it uses the factory shock location.
Lee
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

suburban_gorilla wrote:i know it has bags.

how far up do you have to raise it to be able to drive? what happens if something fails while you are driving and it airs all the way out? or what happens if there is a problem and the car is layed out and it has to get towed?
Sorry, sometimes people just don't know. I have had many people ask me how I drive it when its so low. :D
And to answer your original question; for me I know I can drive my car when it is as low as the one in the pictures as long as I'm going fairly straight, the road is fairly smooth and I'm not going to fast like in a parade. I can make slight turns but much.

Mine has an under the rockers to ground clearance of six inches when driving and clears 20 inch rims. I have check valves (they only allow the air to flow one way, into the bag) as close to the bags as possible. This way if a line burst while driving I don't lose the air that is in the bag. I also have adequate ground clearance to where if I lose a bag the car doesn't hit the ground. It would be a rough bumpy ride but I think I'd survive. I have lost a tire on a regular suspended car though and it sucked. As far a towing not sure. Guess it's just a risk I'm willing to take to look cool.

Car looks awesome Josh. They did a really cool job with that. Wish it was around when I did mine as it would have saved me a lot of work. I noticed they didn't cut the tunnel. Could you get lower if you did or is the 64 different than the 66?
suburban_gorilla
Dedicated Enthusiast

darrylqmiller wrote:
suburban_gorilla wrote:i know it has bags.

Sorry, sometimes people just don't know. I have had many people ask me how I drive it when its so low. :D
And to answer your original question; for me I know I can drive my car when it is as low as the one in the pictures as long as I'm going fairly straight, the road is fairly smooth and I'm not going to fast like in a parade. I can make slight turns but much.

Mine has an under the rockers to ground clearance of six inches when driving and clears 20 inch rims. I have check valves (they only allow the air to flow one way, into the bag) as close to the bags as possible. This way if a line burst while driving I don't lose the air that is in the bag. I also have adequate ground clearance to where if I lose a bag the car doesn't hit the ground. It would be a rough bumpy ride but I think I'd survive. I have lost a tire on a regular suspended car though and it sucked. As far a towing not sure. Guess it's just a risk I'm willing to take to look cool.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Check valves make sense. I'm still trying to decide if its worth the aggravation to switch over to air but I won't do it for a while though. I like the look of this particular kit the best of the ones that are available right now so I would hope they could develop one for a 61/62/63. IF I do go the air route, I definitely want to avoid cutting the tunnel and major surgery of any kind.

It definitely looks great on Josh's 64 and these cars look great with bags. On the other hand, lots of guys out there are bagging these cars, especially on the Facebook groups - the numbers are insane. Maybe I'll lower the car in a year or two first, then take it from there. I just got my stock suspension firmed up and Im loving the way the car handles at the moment. Hopefully by the time I'm ready there will be a really good bolt on kit for a 62. Then I'll think more seriously about it.

Best,
Omar

Toronto, Canada.
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

Car looks great. Very clean installation. If it's a true bolt-on kit they're going to sell well.

The only thing that looks off - to my eyes - are the two brackets welded underneath the axle. Did it really have to be that big to accommodate the suspension travel?
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
Jay O
Occasional Visitor

Post by Jay O »

^ If the lower 4 link brackets weren't as big as they are the lower 4 link arms would hit the floor when fully dropped.

Very nice job on the 4 link. The Lincoln looks great down on the ground..
61 Lincoln Continental_SOLD
64 Lincoln Continental_Yippee!
PowdercoatBill
Frequent Contributor

Post by PowdercoatBill »

Man that looks great!
svtla

Post by svtla »

Just curious, how much did the whole set up cost installed? I'm about an hour away from this shop and looking for air ride set up. Thanks.
suburban_gorilla
Dedicated Enthusiast

Are you gonna keep this car for longer than 5 minutes Josh?
Omar

Toronto, Canada.
Suicide65
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Suicide65 »

svtla wrote:Just curious, how much did the whole set up cost installed? I'm about an hour away from this shop and looking for air ride set up. Thanks.
Call up Jeff at Devious, he'll take care of you. I'd say for everything between $6-8k if you want all top of the line Accuair.

Return to “Customized Member Projects”