1966 / 1967 Convertible Top Weatherstrip Reproduction

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

JAB
Lincoln Guru

1966 / 1967 Convertible Top Weatherstrip Reproduction

Post by JAB »

Hey all,
I am putting together a collection of NOS roof rails and other top weatherstrip for the 66/67 Lincoln Convertibles in order to PROPERLY REPRODUCE the rubber for our cars.

If any of you have a piece of NOS rubber for the 66/67 convertibles that you can lend for this project, please contact me. All rubber pieces will be returned once we are done. We currently have a manufacturer identified.

I currently have...
NOS C6VY 7425824 A (vertical window seal)
NOS C6VY 7453828 A (middle roofrail Left and Right)

Thanks,
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1966 / 1967 Convertible Top Weatherstrip Reproduction

Post by Dan Szwarc »

How much do you think the final set would sell for?
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

John, is the supplier Steele? I've heard good things about them. In any event, thanks for putting this together. It's sorely needed!
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
Barry Norman
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Barry Norman »

I thought someone was working on 61-61 sets? I sent a guy a NOS 61 piece and was wondering how that was coming along ?
57 Premier conv
58 MK III conv
60 MK V conv
61 Continental conv
66 Continental conv
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The MOST critical piece to make is the front header to roof rail strip that extends from the front window across the header to the back edge of the other front window. It's technically 5 pieces glued together, made from two molds and three different extrusions. On my car, the front corners are garbage. I KNOW someone already makes the correct extrusion for the front header because the Usual Suspects sell it glued to crappy corners. They might even have a good supplier for the top rails above the side windows.

I'm about to kludge-seal mine so you better move ahead quickly. The best time to replace seals is when the top material is replaced.

Keep us posted and bump this top as often with updates as you can.
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

The 61-65 roof rails have just been reproduced PROPERLY. I will follow up with his name and contact info. They are available on Ebay as of two days ago.

At this point, it is hard to say what the price will be.I will be providing a full set of used rubber as a go by for general production issues and a conversation about pricing. The supplier is not Steele. Assuming pricing makes sense, production will take 6 months after I have put together a full NOS set,

I currently hand produce the rubber for the flipper lid and package tray. I can also hand produce the trunk weather strip, but it is fussy job. Both of these use modern weather strip material. I have done 10 or so installations of the flipper rubber and 1 of the trunk, and both work nicely.

John
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

That's great news John. Thanks for putting it together. :smt023
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

John,

If you are going to build and sell a full weatherstripping kit for the 66-67 convertibles, would it be possible to include the extra sealing tape/stripping that goes BEHIND the trim pieces when one removes the channels to change the weatherstripping itself?

I'm referring to all of the sealing strips that keep the water from going around the trim. It's just called TAPE in the MPC. I'm planning on tweaking my weatherstripping (and replacing other trim) and I have no idea what to use for this TAPE. It would be great if someone at least identified a part number and supplier for the most appropriate generic substitute.

It just needs to be the correct thickness, foam type, etc. If you already know what should be used, please let us know.
Attachments
66-67 Top Weatherstripping showing the TAPE behind the channels that seals to the top frame.
66-67 Top Weatherstripping showing the TAPE behind the channels that seals to the top frame.
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

Dan,
I will keep that in mind. I will try to identify the tape in the next few weeks. I am pretty sure I know what it is and where to get it.

John
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
royce0007

Post by royce0007 »

Hi
I know this was in 2013, but can you tell me where to get the window weatherstripping in 2023.
Thank you
Royce
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Contact JAB directly through PM or email through this site.

johnabrewer@msn.com

10 years later, I don’t know if it ever got implemented.
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

How far along is Steele Rubber with this? They've added a lot of Lincoln Continental parts in recent years. Great customer service, too.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Hello,

Are you sure Steele isn't making them already? Here is what they have or a '67: https://www.steelerubber.com/search?yea ... onvertible

If they don't have it they will make it. I had them on Lincoln Addict Podcast and they are great folks. More here: https://lincolnaddict.podbean.com/e/steele-rubber/
royce0007

Post by royce0007 »

Thank you for the Information. Have a great week

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”