1966 Trunk won't close

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

drnodegree

1966 Trunk won't close

Post by drnodegree »

The pump and the jacks work fine.

The flipper panel works: top down cycle it flips up... then front at windshield unlocks and top goes up....
Top up cycle the top locks in.. the flipper panel flops down... then nothing.
The flipper must have a limit switch in the "upper back panel limit switch" unit telling it that it has folded in...but I have tried adjusting it to no avail. The shop manual says using a "self powered" test light from the grey to the black-blue .... I connected to check continuity but it was inconclusive.
The screw is broken but the outer ring pretty much stays where put.

Help!?!

Thanks.
bobjffry
Frequent Contributor

Re: 1966 Trunk won't close

Post by bobjffry »

The upper back panel limit switch is out of adjustment or your deck lid pump is low on fluid. Do the deck lid locks engage after the flipper panel folds down?
1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible
drnodegree

Post by drnodegree »

Nope.
I gather either it needs adjusting or it's hooped.
How does one go about checking?
bobjffry
Frequent Contributor

Post by bobjffry »

Check with John Brewer. He rebuilt mine with the metal piece and so far so good. There's a section in the shop manual that describes the adjustments. Good luck, its a bitch. At least for me it was.
1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible
drnodegree

Post by drnodegree »

Ok...so i tried testing it with the multimeter and fiddled with it and ended up giving up on logic and just started adjusting away...
got-er-licked.
works like a charm....
The only remaining item is to adjust the stops on the trunk close...essentially they keep winding down tight till i let go of the switch.
She runs like an old swiss watch now!
Sofa King exciting seeing this relic work in all her glory!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

drnodegree wrote:The only remaining item is to adjust the stops on the trunk close...essentially they keep winding down tight till i let go of the switch.
Actually, the screws never stop. Releasing the switch is the only way. The sockets that they screw into are supposed to ratchet to prevent over-tightening. The deck pump should stop just as they contact their sockets. This is adjusted by the trunk closed switch at the forward RH corner of the trunk.

If the screws don't ratchet, you may have to service or replace them. They come out of the sockets with a special tool. I've never removed them, but a pic of it is in the manual. John Cashman might be able to provide more info.
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

If the adjustment screw retaining post is broken, then your upper back panel limit switch ( UBPLS)will vibrate out of adjustment as you drive the car, leaving you with a deck lid that will stop working at some point in the near future. You will need to get this fixed.

Feel free to call me if you would like to have the repair work done. I charge $155 for a basic rebuild and cleaning, which will include repair of both adjustment screw retaining posts.

I also carry all of the parts necessary to repair any broken UBPLS, including roller contacts, roller contact springs, contact cams, center spindle springs, new metal center spindles, end caps, switch bodies etc. I carry complete switches in stock for both Lincoln and T-Bird, and try to keep an NOS switch or two available.

John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
John Cashman
Lincoln Guru
Location: Travel the USA... Favorites are southern Ca. & Fla.

Post by John Cashman »

Yes there is a special tool for adjusting these (as seen in the manual) Even I have never seen one! I think they were on the Wixom assy. line and that's it. Dealers did not have them. Usually raising or lowering the entire female receiver is enough...Accident cars can be tough... I get in the trunk with my bright LED flashlight, and have the customer close me in... That way I can see EXACTLY what needs to be shifted, aligned, or tweaked. Of coarse I take me trusty jump wire with me in case of failure so I can escape!
Nice1

Post by Nice1 »

Where is this limit switch? Mine just did this today... GRRRRRRRR
At least the top is down. LOL I only drive on nice days but this is aggravating!
Always something with these mechanical, beautiful, wonderful Lincolns!!!
66 Continental convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

It’s the round thing with all the wires connected to the motor of the upper back panel.
Nice1

Post by Nice1 »

Thanks!
Nice1

Post by Nice1 »

So Im finally getting to the shop to look at the panel. I see the round thing with all the wires on the deck lid. Now what bolt do I work with to adjust the close switch?
Nice1

Post by Nice1 »

I guess Ill get a hold John Brewer and have it rebuilt... Always something with these babies...
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The switch is a nightmare to work with. The hex bolts on the perimeter of each ring allows you to adjust the starting and stopping points of the switch for operation.

This is all detailed quite explicitly in the manual. If you are not comfortable doing this, please call John Brewer for advice. Dont assume the switch needs rebuilding, which it very well might.
Nice1

Post by Nice1 »

It seems like a 2 man job. I'm going to play with it when I have an extra set of hands. Where could I get a copy of that manual? I've had this Lincoln since 2002. I've had John Brewer rebuild a bunch of relays on it over the years. Its good to have people out there that know these complex marvels... LOL

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”