1966 Lincoln Getting Bags

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Suicide65
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1966 Lincoln Getting Bags

Post by Suicide65 »

You'd have to cut a lot more that just exhaust to get that low.
66continentalefi
Occasional Visitor

Post by 66continentalefi »

The trunk looks awesome. I just picked up 2 square kicker 12's and I think I'll steal your layout if you don't mind!.
66 continental 48000 miles homemade lowering blocks, msd ignition, electric fans and powerjection 3 EFI
94 towncar 158000 kms stock, big stereo, daily driver
05 aviator 172000 kms wifes dd my repair bill!
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Suicide65 wrote:You'd have to cut a lot more that just exhaust to get that low.
Yeah not even sure if the trans pan would allow it but it sure would be sweet!
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

66continentalefi wrote:The trunk looks awesome. I just picked up 2 square kicker 12's and I think I'll steal your layout if you don't mind!.
Have at it, no copy rights on that one just post pics when done :D
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Well sorry guys but for some reason I typed this all out and put in pictures but for some reason I keep getting a Forbidden You don't have permission to access /phpbb3/posting.php on this server error message when I try to post some pictures off of Photobucket. I uploaded them at the same time off the same phone and some work and some don't. I'll try again later but not sure it's going to work. Hope the words give you a good idea about what it is I did to solve this problem.

Update

Well after help from Wixom61, see next post, (thanks david) I got this to work. I erased this post and did another below limiting each post to three pictures and it worked so enjoy!
Last edited by darrylqmiller on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wixom61
Occasional Visitor

Post by wixom61 »

I get that message when I try to put 4 or more pics in my post. 3 pics per post seem to be the limit. For more pics, group 3 at a time in separate postings.

David :smt001
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Okay thanks. I'll try that. Was really hoping to make a new thread to help others but came across this snag and gave up.

Ha Ha! Just looked at my previous post and noticed it did let me post three pics!
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Got some more work done on the car. Seemed stupid having this boat and only having room for two passengers and everyone having to sit in the front because the rear seats weren't in. So here we go.

The bottom of the rear seat seemed really close and was only hitting right at the back of the driveshaft tunnel hump so after taking the seat out and looking at it I decided the best attack was to trim a little and see what happened. So I removed the hog clips:

And just trimmed a hair off of the bottom of the back brace using tape as a guide line. I cut right above where the brace holds the springs in:

As it turns out, that was all it took on my car and I think I have a pretty big tunnel. Put new rings on to attach the upholstery in the same spot they came off (sorry no pics) and then took the upper part of the rear seat out.

The center arm rest seems to be everyones problem when putting in a new driveshaft tunnel, the height of the new tunnel doesn't allow the arm rest to go all the way back into the seat in the up right position. Not to mention I had to beat the seat into place and it still wouldn't set all the way back in my car.

Here's the back of the seat and the little metal bar that hit the top of the tunnel:

darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

I studied this and it appears the bar does nothing but keep the seat separated and solid, basically a brace and had nothing to do with the arm rest so I took the four screws holding the arm rest in place and removed them and the arm rest:

Then I used a hack saw to cut the bar out. I test fit it back in the car and without it attached the seat slipped all the way back. That was also part of the reason the lower seat wouldn't fit, it was hitting the upper seat which couldn't slide in all the way due to that bar hitting the tunnel.

With the arm rest removed I carefully removed the staples holding the upholstery to the plywood using an awl and hammer.

Last edited by darrylqmiller on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Then I used a rag to keep the upholstery protected and placed a piece of flat stock under the wood and measured back 3/4 of an inch and made my cut.

I was to chicken to use a power tool but it didn't take long with a sharp hand saw.

I then carefully stapled everything back together. I probably could do a better job if I had cut some excess material out but I wanted to be able to replace the plywood and put this back to stock in case this didn't work. Plus side is this is the bottom and it folds up into the arm rest so no one will ever see it.

darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Installed both the upper and lower seats and tried it out.

Arm rest down:

Arm rest up:

Turned out pretty good and I have my seats back. I was worried about this the whole time I was cutting the tunnel and floor up ( I kept worrying I made the tunnel so high as to get the car as low as possible that the seats wouldn't fit again) but it turned out this was the easiest part of my bag job. It took about two hours at the most. You can see here that even though I cut the tunnel all the way to the back of the front seat the carpet still fits fine and you can't even really tell it's been cut. Now I just need to vacuum after getting in there with my dirty work boots.

So the only thing left now is when I get my welder back from my brother-in-law I'll pull the seats back out and weld a piece of flat stock across the upper seat to replace the round bar I cut out. Although I have to say I can't notice any difference with it gone, I like to put things back that I cut out if I can. Hope this helps some others out there.
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

Man, that looks dope! Awesome job and thanks for posting this! I am glad you are steps in front of me so I can get better ideas :). I think we got our upper links figured out, I will post pics on my side! Again, great job!!
Lee
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Thanks for the kudos. I spend hours online looking at others build thread and pictures so I try to document mine so others may get ideas of how I did it. It might not be right all the time but at least it might help.
I'll be looking for your update!
wildcard
Occasional Visitor

Post by wildcard »

Your car looks AMAZING all laid out. Great job.
'63 Lincoln Continental
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

What's been up Darryl?! Any updates? I had to come back to your project to check out the details of the seat. I got my tunnel welded in and attempted to put the seats in with no mods, no dice! So I had to see what you did again. Thanks again for your posts and pics, they have helped a lot. I'll be posting new pics on mine soon...delays!
Lee

Return to “Customized Member Projects”