1966 Lincoln Getting Bags

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Re: 1966 Lincoln Getting Bags

Post by smeeluv »

My mom told me yesterday that my Lincoln is a money pit...how true it is. Your roof looks pretty good, what's your plans for it. You going to paint it or have new vinyl put on? Trying to decide what to do with my engine...may swap it with something newer. Posting on my project here soon. Looking good and congrats on the new gig!
Lee
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

I want to swap mine also, we will see. I'm starting to feel like I need to get this thing painted, rebuild stock engine and get this thing done and move on.
Pretty sure I'm going to just paint the top so I don't have to worry about rust issues again.

And it's just not the Lincolns, they are all money pits. I still say it's cheaper to build one of these than buy a new car. Just looked at the Jeep SUV's the other day and the only one I really like was $58,000.
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

That's what I told my wife (fiance at the time) before I actually bought this car years ago! This is my dream car, it will break necks every where I go and it's a fraction of the cost of a new vette or something like that. Even with a new engine I am still under 20! We eventually trade in our daily drivers for something newer, however, that lincoln is still rolling. Well, mine isn't for the time being but get that figured out soon. Good luck with the roof and keep the posts coming!
Lee
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Ha HA! Well if we had the money just sitting around or got a loan we could get it down a lot faster too!

Todays progress. One of my Continental emblems was broken off, another star on the front driver fender was busted and the pieces are so expensive and I like the clean uncluttered look so got the welder out and got to work.

No body work done yet, just a coat of epoxy primer out of the can to stop flash rust. Humidity was in the 80% range today and roof is already getting rust spots so figured I'd primer right away. Hopefully tomorrow I'll make some good progress on the roof.
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Well getting closer. After spending most of Sat rearranging furniture for the wife to accommodate new furniture, weeding and making dinner finally got out to the garage about 9:30. Got top scrapped and sanded and glue free.

And Brown Santa dropped this off today. New speakers for the rear package tray since I have to take it all apart to get the rest of the chrome trim off.

Slowly but surely.
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

I like soundz... I used to compete in IASCA, but life happened...
Rob
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Well making a little progress. I did decide to take the car off the road for a couple of years and do what I really want to it instead of doing a little bit here and there and driving it. Always wanted to strip a car all the way down and redo one so I'm going for it. Hoping for new motor, tranny, rewire, paint etc.
Anyways, all started when I found more rust under the vinyl then I thought there was. Still not bad but definitely needs to be fixed.

On with the pictures, here's one with the rust getting cut out:

And patched back:

Don't want to deal with the under vinyl rust again so getting rid of the top and welding holes. And yes you do have to take the back seat out, rear package tray, sail panels and trim around the back window off to get to the bolts to take off the chrome trim. And yes the nuts are still a bit hard to get to even then.

Drivers side before:

Passenger side after:

Rust spot cut out. There was rust around the screw hole and a bit of deep surface rust so I just cut the square out and replaced with new metal:

And replaced:

smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

Lookin good so far! Hey question for you, when your water pump went out, did you just replace the water pump or did you do the timing chain as well. I'm still in limbo on what I want to do with the engine but was thinking if I get the water pump, at least she's purring again!
Lee
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

I had already replaced my timing chain, lifters, cleaned my rocker arm shafts for better oil flow and had my fuel pump rebuilt so I just did the water pump. But while you're there there's not a whole lot more to disassemble to get to the timing chain so I'd do it for peace of mind while I was at it.
If you look at my sig I have a link to my build thread with my timing chain replacement and lots of pictures that might help.
Good luck. While it's not hard, it's definitely more complicated than a small block chevy. After all it is a Lincoln so why would it be easy??? :D
jesse_emel
Lincoln Maniac

Post by jesse_emel »

Good to see you making some progress after the move. I do miss seeing your Lincoln rolling around Liberty Lake. Keep up the great work.
1962 Lincoln Project, Started April 2012
http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 38&t=39733
EeeeZzz
Occasional Visitor

Post by EeeeZzz »

Car looks great! Really appreciate the pictures as I'll be starting the bag process on my 66 Sedan later next week. Didn't plan on cutting the drive shaft tunnel, but after seeing a few board members do it, I feel it's a must for my build. Anyways, great work, and love the look of your 66!
Will
1966 Lincoln Continental Sedan
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Thanks!! I put all the pictures up in the hope of helping so I'm glad they did. Cutting the tunnel is a must to get it of the way down and also taking off the snubber that's bolted to the differential will help it go lower also.
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Dang, haven't done jack since September! Any ways Halloweens over, all the rush to get the new home ready for Thanksgiving rush is over and Christmas tree and stuff is up so back onto the Lincoln. And what a better way, my wife is out of town for six days so I'm on it.
Did do a little bit here and there, 'nough talk, onto the pics:

darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Not sure if I can still only post three pics per post and I'm not in the mood to experiment so three at a time it will be.

darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Ready for rust encapsulator in the channel where the weather stripping goes and then epoxy primer.

Putting a second coat on here in another hour then tomorrow I'll feather edges, re-mask and spray epoxy primer on the rest of the area. Pics tomorrow will make it more clear.

Return to “Customized Member Projects”