1958 Lincoln Trans. Fluid

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
SpiritCrusher
Frequent Contributor

1958 Lincoln Trans. Fluid

Post by SpiritCrusher »

Hello, I recently picked up a 58 premiere and the trans needs some fluid added, the fluid in the tranny right now looks a lot like type F, I just ordered the MM but don't know what to add, I did some searches but couldn't really find the info I was looking for. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
1958 Lincoln Premiere Coupe
1963 LC Sedan
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Re: 1958 Lincoln Trans. Fluid

Post by Bob Hubbard »

Type F.

Bob.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I don't think you should be using Type F since it didn't exist until 1961. It's probably Type A.

If the transmission was rebuilt in the last decade, it probably should be using Dexron II or III.

In the end, with all the posts about fluid, if you're just topping off the system, you can use Type F or Dexron.
SpiritCrusher
Frequent Contributor

Post by SpiritCrusher »

Thanks for the info.
Dan, I don't have any history on the service of this vehicle, previous owner had it sitting in storage with other cars for 10 yrs., he said he started the the car periodically but that was it, after reading those post on tranny fluid I just dont wanna throw the wrong stuff in there.

Thanks.
1958 Lincoln Premiere Coupe
1963 LC Sedan
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

Dan Szwarc wrote:I don't think you should be using Type F since it didn't exist until 1961. It's probably Type A.

If the transmission was rebuilt in the last decade, it probably should be using Dexron II or III.

In the end, with all the posts about fluid, if you're just topping off the system, you can use Type F or Dexron.

Dan, when I had my 59, type F is what I used,and even though the car was not driven a whole lot, it didn't seem to alter the function of the transmission.
It shifted as it should with no problem.
Bob.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Deanna Sclar wrote a long time ago in her book Auto Repair For Dummies that you can and should use Type F in a Type A transmission. Of course, that's been a source for debate here; but I'm more inclined to follow her advice, although I did not agree with her hatred for bigger cars.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
mikem
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mikem »

Dexron should be used.
1958 Convertible X(2)
jon schapiro
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by jon schapiro »

Type A was a clear fluid. They added red dye with Type F and subsequent fluids. I agree - would use Dexron.
(Pic missing)
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

TonyC wrote:Deanna Sclar wrote a long time ago in her book Auto Repair For Dummies that you can and should use Type F in a Type A transmission. ---Tony

I wonder if this lady author was influenced by the school of thought that racers using automatics would use Type F . . . I'm told.

I also wonder what year GM first used the term, "Dexron" . . . for the sake of historical comparison.

Finally, I wonder what GM recommended for PS and tranny in the last of the big RWD Fleetwoods.
SDContinental
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by SDContinental »

Gerald F. Chase wrote:
TonyC wrote:Deanna Sclar wrote a long time ago in her book Auto Repair For Dummies that you can and should use Type F in a Type A transmission. ---Tony

I wonder if this lady author was influenced by the school of thought that racers using automatics would use Type F . . . I'm told.

I also wonder what year GM first used the term, "Dexron" . . . for the sake of historical comparison.

Finally, I wonder what GM recommended for PS and tranny in the last of the big RWD Fleetwoods.

GM used regular PS fluid in the Fleetwoods, nothing special. For the 4L60E transmissions, it was Dexron III, but one could also use Mercon V since it's basically like Dexron, but is Ford branded and is a semi-synthetic with better properties which last longer than the older Dex III. Dexron VI might be too thin of an ATF from what I was told by a trans technician when he drained the trans fluid on my Fleetwood, thus affecting shift points causing slippage. But Dex VI can also can be used in the last big body RWD GM'ers.

Your 58 could use Dexron III, I use Dexron III in my 61 with no problems at all. The older transmissions weren't that picky on what you put in it, unlike modern transmissions.
61 Lincoln Continental Sedan....Sold
78 Lincoln Continental Sedan......Current
93 Lincoln Town Car......Past

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”