Project "JFK Ride"

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Project "JFK Ride"

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks man. Good lookin out. I have a fuse on the compressors / AccuAir out back but will keep that in mind for other stuff I plan to run to the stud.

I did some work today to clean up the wiring behind the dash I had ran previously. I tend to leave too much excess "just in case" which is always too much.

Forgot to post these the other day. Hit the pedal setup with a wire brush and with black paint.

Before:

After:

Upcoming:
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

So I decided to go a different route with my throttle pedal. I couldn't stand the fact I had the super nice Lokar linkage for the C6 and I had misplaced the factory kick down rod.. so I figured what the heck. More pics coming soon on the install. This weekend I'm taking the car to a show in Vero beach called DWNTYME and hoping the following weekend I can drop it off with one of Tim Nill's friends Blair. He is going to do some final adjustments to get her running good.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Well a took a break on the car several weeks. Got my metal building put up and did an epoxy coating on the floor. Also spent some time organizing my tools / parts etc. I'm going to get back on the car here this week. Tonight I messed around a bit with the 65 dash cutting pieces and making templates. See the pics below...

Gotta love my wife's duck tape. I misplaced my stuff.

I'll be taking the car off the trailer and putting it in the workshop to start knocking out several things I have waiting to do. I have a list of parts I need to order including steering, alternator, etc. My 2 Optima Batteries (red top) came in so I'll be ready to wire them up after I throw on the alternator.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Did some more work this week on my gauge setup. I think I know how I'm going to finish it up now. Also, got the itch to want to mess with all the 5 prong relays I purchased from Parts-Express.com years ago. I followed a diagram I found via Google but it ended up leaving me scratching my head on why I couldn't get the window motor(s) to budge. Spoke to my buddy a few mins and realized what I did wrong. I then found this post, which helped to reinforce the mistake I had made: http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 05#p369305

Changed a few wires around and bada bing! I used a rear passenger motor I got from Tim at Lincoln-Ranch.com for my test and finally nailed it. I'll post pics once I get everything cleaned up, wires shortened and everything soldered up. Soon I'll be getting the window wiring finished up including the vent windows.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Ok, so this isn't all the pics I plan to post related to wiring my window switches. As I mentioned I had not wired anything up using relays prior so this was my "test" based upon reading the thread I posted above. Many of the wires thus far I soldered but now that I know I have them wired correctly I'll plan on placement of the relays, shortening up the wire length, etc.

A few years ago, while plotting and planning my Lincoln Continental build, I purchased relays and pigtails from Parts-Express.com. I always wanted to update the wiring and get rid of the original relays etc even before I knew I would rewire the entire car.

Relays mounted to a pice of wood from my free pallets:

Pigtail

Relay

Workbench with the relays wired up. Yeah looks very messy. But worked to get the plan all set

The passenger rear window motor I picked up from Tim at Lincoln-Ranch.com while at his place the last time. I used this to test everything vs. having to work over at the car. Much easier on a workbench!

Lincoln Navigator driver door window switch setup I purchased from a junkyard LKQ on a holiday weekend, when they offer 1/2 off all parts!. The Navigator window switches were super easy to figure out.. they labeled them clearly on the back:

Since I've never attempted to use factory window switches like this, I found by trial and error that I need to send 12 volts to the B+ spade on the back of the switch. This is the window lockout for the other doors. Regardless, I put 12volts to it and it worked the way I needed it to.

Other update on the build as it relates to the alternator. I debated for a LONG time on where I would pickup my alteration from. Napa, Powermaster, Rock Auto, etc. I've settled on a local shop to build me an alternator around 160 amps. I really debated on going with Power Quality, which is where Slammed 64 went to: http://www.qualitypowerauto.com as they make KILLER products. 150, 200 or 250 amp. Anyway, I have a local shop building mine as this made the most sense for my built and allowed me to spend a tad less but still have no shipping cost. My Ron Francis Wiring kit has the Ford 3rd / 4th gen alternator wiring, which the shop will of course build to plug in. I should have it in a few days.

More to come!
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Updates:

Starting to figure out where I'll hide the relays so I got the door panels out and started looking at what I need to do.

First order of business was to find out why I couldn't get 1 of the switches to work from the Navigator panel I snagged from a junk yard. I learned a good bit of how to use my Power Probe 3, which was actually pretty dope. Works GREAT for this type of thing. It was a bad relay.. I purchased relays years ago and I guess this one got moisture in it at some point over the years! Good times:

Glued the plastic back together here:

Alternator I had the local shop build. Turns out he use to have a guy there that rebuilt the water pumps for Lincoln Land but ended up with health problems and retired. He said the guy went over to LL and did a tutorial before he officially retired.

New alternator plugged into the Ron Francis Wiring

Got it mocked up today. Family emergency prevented me from putting in any more work on it. I did run to Ace Hardware to snag the bolts I needed for the casing since it is different than the factory casing. M10 bolt and M8 I think.

As always, more to come!
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Looking sweet there man. How are you going about using the new Navigator switches with the old arm rests? Making custom ones? I'm a planner and I have spend several days over the last few weeks looking at options for the window switches. The ones in our cars can be rebuilt but I want new stuff that isn't finicky and that I don't have to tweak all the time. I also want to try to keep the arm rests looking stock 'cause I like the old school interior in theses cars. But I can't make up my mind!! Some times I think making blank plates for the arm rests/ deleting the switches and then taking bucket seats and a center console out of some newer style Lincoln and putting the window switches in the console would be cool. Other times I want to keep the interior pretty original. Wishy-washy!!

Got two doors off and then when I get the next two off I want to experiment with electric door locks and maybe five pin switches to eliminate all the need for those relays. Anyways thanks for posting everything up, you're doing the grunt work so I don't have to!!!
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

No problem. I live for this stuff. Thanks for commenting on the thread. Yeah I've finally got my door panels back out and I'm plotting and planing that step. Mike Alexander did what you stated where he put the relays in the doors (same as what I plan to do) and mount the window switches in the center console as you mentioned. Mike I believe left the factory window switches in his doors to give it the OG appearance. I plan to have a plate made, as you mentioned, to cover the factory window switch plates. I did try my hand at rebuilding my switches but I wasn't convinced I had solid enough ones to last. They were pretty nasty. Plus my relays seemed to be bad so when I decided to re-wire my car I was like I'm redoing it all....

This was a real good thread I ran across searching "Bosch relays" on this site (see below). It really gives a solid write-up on where to mount the relays etc. Now that I have my door panels etc. out I plan to start mocking everything up and deciding where I want to mount everything. I'll more than likely stash them in the doors. The pigtails I have on my relays and with my wires soldered I just can't see fitting 12 relays in my center console (4 windows and 2 vent windows).. thus I'll place them in the doors. I also want to run electric locks as you mentioned. I started that project but decided I'd have a friend finish it that has a tad more experience mounting them up and shaving door handles etc. Seems more up his ally.

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... ay#p369305
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Took one giant leap for a Lincoln Continental owner.. Took the car to a top notch Lincoln mechanic to knock out my punch list on the car.. some things I just didn't want to do myself which includes: setting the timing (he can do it in his sleep), swapping out the power steering pump bolts (the same guy rebuilt the pump and swears that the factory bolts with the "shoulder" MUST be used), swapping out the rear passenger window motor and overall just getting the motor dialed in to be cranked over. I'll be heading back out to his shop on Saturday to hopefully install my steering linkage.. this way he will be able to move the car around a bit easier and onto his lift. Much more to come. The car will be running soon!
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

I went to my mechanic's shop on Saturday and did some work on the car. Threw on the old steering for now so we can move it around easily. Also installed the rag joint so we can actually steer the car. My mechanic had 2 matching convertibles in the shop. One he is installing a rebuilt 430 - the one on the lift. I also took the front wheels and calipers off. Plan to clean up the wheels a bit and finish grinding down the driver side caliper... the 15" wheel won't spin until it is shaved down based upon the off-set on the wheels. I already finished the passenger side caliper.. can't remember if I mentioned this prior.. but i'll get it modified and painted up nicely with him some temp paint.

More to come but she will be running this month. Cannot wait.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Also, here are a few more pics from the day I dropped off the Lincoln at the mechanics shop. I mentioned on 12/28 that I got it dropped off but didn't post any pics that day. Also, on New Years Eve one of my Suicide Slabs buddies had me over to his place. A guy he knows brought his Continental limo. Got a chance to ride in it. AC blew cold on my neck in the back seat. He had some sort of fuel leak or fumes coming in probably thru the gas filler. Other than that was a quick ride to the convenience store.

Mechanic shop:

Rebuilt motor going into this one.. same as the one above on the lift.. it is bagged:

Thought I'd share these. More to come!
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

sick
Pat
Bagged 1964 Lincoln Continental
My Air Ride Install, My FiTech EFI Install
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks burnski.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Good news bad news. Bad news I'm pulling the motor. During my clean-up of the 462 and taking it to shows etc. water got on the valley pan and ended up making it's way down the back center bolt, which I didn't have totally bolted down. For some reason the same size bolt as the other valley pan bolts (allen heads) needed to be shorter (back middle) and I've learned my lesson. Water made it's way down there and now I'm going to blow the bottom end of the motor apart. Well I'm taking it to my favorite machine shop to blow the block apart, clean everything and reassemble everything. The good news is the rear main seals I never changed will get done... plus the entire motor will be pretty much brand new. Gonna dow new rings and hopefully will have minimal internals I'll need to change. Although this is a minor setback I'm still highly motivated to get the car back on the road. While the motor is pulled I'll get the entire engine bay painted, including some graphics I have up my sleeve.. I'll have the battery tray welded in the factory spot and also have another battery tray added on the passenger side behind the motor (like Slammed_64 did). Yeah its a set back and something I caused however I'm taking it with a sense of now I can get more stuff done so this motor is bulletproof and I'll never have to pull it again. Much more updates to come. Car is back in my home workshop.. first time ever inside at my place. I have a week's vacation coming up soon and I'll have the motor out in a few hours. Heads, fan, manifolds, etc. are all already off.

Other good news is I got the steering reservoir filter in.I do know that John Cashman and others have stated it is not necessary however I had already purchased it and my mechanic, whom I mentioned before is friends with John, said why not throw it in. Once the motor is back in he is going to come to my place to help me dial it in before it is cranked over.

darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

The Lincoln gods are telling you it is time for a new engine rather you were or not! LOL
Keep up the positive attitude, it's what will get you through. You're still doing better than me with all this family stuff I always got going on.

Return to “Customized Member Projects”