Project "JFK Ride"

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Project "JFK Ride"

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks man. Well not as bad as I first thought. Long story short there was some moisture in the motor however the main issue was I had the torque converter installed incorrectly. The2 plugs on the back of the converter were not protruding thru the flex plate where the holes are cut. Yeah so live and learn. Hence the flex plate was not fully lined up with the starter etc. Motor turns over fine. I cleaned it all up and just awaiting new head gaskets from BakersAuto that I ordered today (MLK day so will ship tomorrow). I also picked up another MEL 462 with C6 transmission today for $200 plus shipping! I'll be building it up for the next project LOL.

Where some water had collected in the valley area:

Oil pan was a tad nasty. Combo of some oil and a tab bit of water. Also a little tranny fluid since my mechanic had added some to the cylinders thinking the motor was totally locked up

The debris in the cylinders was from them working on it before I got the car back. I got it all cleaned up nicely. When I had installed the heads prior I had coated the cylinder walls nicely with oil so all was good there.

I didn't get any after pics but got the motor totally cleaned up. Used a cloth, WD-40 and compressed air. Also a razor of course where the heads mount. I'll be posting more pics.

Here is the motor I picked up for $200. Little Shop Mfg in TN is building up a 67 Lincoln and the customer no longer needed / wanted it. The steering pump is going to Lincoln Land but I'm getting there rest! #Score

burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

nice score indeed. i see it also has the AC compressor - might be worth a few bucks if it still works.
Pat
Bagged 1964 Lincoln Continental
My Air Ride Install, My FiTech EFI Install
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks man. Great point. I've got another guy in my area that has his factory compressor off his Linc he wants to sell me. He pulled the motor and sold the car. It is already converted to R134 I believe as well.

More updates on the car. Waiting on new gaskets from BakersAuto I decided to finally install the Vintage Air Compac Gen II setup. Followed the instructions and things are going great. See the pics below. Also, I picked up a new rag joint rebuild kit and was going to try rebuilding it but just have too much going on. I know the guy that rebuilds them for Lincoln Land so I may just have him eventually do it.... for now it looks like I'll just snag a Lares 202 off eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lares-Steer ... yv&vxp=mtr

Mockup:

Install started:

Bulkhead install:

Straps are from Home Depot. The mounts didn't work exactly as I'd hoped for the Linc but no biggie. I spent less than $4 on the one metal strap from Home Depot:

General:

I've got a hose kit coming, which I never ordered. I know someone at Vintage Air so he suggested it today and I went ahead and made the purchase. Here is the hose kit I ordered: 547000: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-547000 // this is the Vintage Air AC setup I decided with, although mine is slightly different its generally the same: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-68000-vuz-a

I did leave some room to move the setup a tad depending on how the dash fits. Mounting the kit was not bad at all. Running the wires cleanly etc. takes a good bit of time. Of course with my OCD I actually enjoy that part the most.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

So I had my thread moved to the Customizers Forum since it didn't really belong in the section I originally had it in. Hopefully you guys will still find it here and enjoy the updates. Here is whats new with the project:

Motor is pretty much back together with the exception of the intake manifold. Heads are torqued down to specs etc. I'm not putting the motor back in until the car returns back from my buddy's shop. Here is what I have in store:

-engine bay is getting cleaned up and painted by a pro (no more rattle can look that I sprayed), the battery tray from a 67 Mustang is being welded in finally to the factory location, metal work is being down under the battery tray where it was pretty bad (look at previous pics to see what I'm referring to), metal pieces are going to be made to fill in the passenger side of the engine bay where the opening is to the wheel well area, I'm having my buddy make a new piece to cover the factory A/C piece in the firewall and going to see if he has better luck on the electric locks than I did.

-I've been working on finishing the Vintage Air install and it is going well. I had gotten a deal on the parts I originally picked up so I ended up getting the other parts I needed which include: hose kit, extra fittings, condenser (ordered today) & crimper kit with various dies (ordered today as well). I figured what he hell. Since everything else is new why not get a new condenser. Also, I'm debating on not using the York A/C compressor and running with the Sanden and conversion bracket they sell. I'm hearing it makes more sense and will perform better overall??

-I'm loading the car up (will be much easier without the motor in it LOL) tomorrow afternoon or Saturday morning to head to Smith Workx (https://www.instagram.com/smithworkx/). I'l post progress in the near future.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Updates:

Within 24-hours of dropping the car off at my buddy's shop he had the firewall shaved up. I've been working on the car a bit. Getting the Vintage Air A/C laid out as much as I can since the car isn't here (condenser / drier / etc.) I also got the motor back together. Tearing it apart a second time and putting it together gave me the opportunity to tighten everything down nicely (manifolds, engine mounts, etc.) I also hit Ace Hardware and got a few more stainless allen head bolts I didn't have before. Picked up some parts from powercoat.... just keep hustling on the car. See pics below.

My buddy dropping off the spare 462 I scored from TN. It has been at his warehouse in Tampa since it was delivered da few weeks back.

Vintage Air!

My 66 shop manual for my 67 and my Lincoln Life hat!

Detailing the back of the engine a tad while its out!

Have a chrome or black drier. Gotta pick which one I'll use!

Valley pan area!

At my buddy's shop!

Car when it came back from my mechanics for me to put it back together. Gotta take a tough situation and roll with it!

Love the powercoat.. done even on the bottom for a nice seal of the intake manifold.

Thanks for looking!
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

Wow great progress Jason. Thanks for the engine pics too btw, im planning to pull my intake & valley pan off over the next week or two to clean them up and replace the gaskets. Did your valley pan originally use cap screws or is that something you just did to dress it up?
Pat
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks for the comment burnski... I did change those out. I picked them up at a local hardware store here in the Tampa Bay Area (Ace Hardware). If I did it again I'd figure out all the bolt sizes I needed (like I did) and buy them all online. Buying several here and there at Ace adds up. Lol. Its amazing how gritty and grimy the motors get. My valley pan area was thrashed with junk etc. Its def fun to go thru it and clean it all up. Take it nice and slow and do small projects at a time on the motor.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

So as I've mentioned my buddy Daniel at Smith Workx is working on my car. He is taking care of a nice size list of items for me. He works a day job and does side projects which is great for me. I'm in no rush. Below are 2 pics on the progress of my car. Firewall is shaved and he is making the sheet metal piece for the passenger side engine bay. Can't wait to see it all completed and finished including flat black paint.

More to come!
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

Nice. I'm going though cleaning up my engine right now too: http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... &start=165
Pat
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Looking good bro. Everything seems like one step forward two steps back! Got my rear window out to do a little rust repair. Little did I know that they stapled the vinyl tops on and I would have about 100 or so little staple holes to fill! Weld, weld, weld, let cool grind, grind, grind repeat. Seems like it's never gonna end but one day we are going to get our cars together and do some cruising.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Isn't that the truth Darryl. I know right. Fun fun stuff. Keep up the hustle!
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

My buddy made some progress on my car. Really looking forward to having the engine bay finished. It will be one big step for my project. I also dropped off the steering column to be painted so he can shoot it while he is shooting the engine bay (once finished).

Welded up:

Starting the new panel where the factory battery tray was. I'm going to run dual batteries and we have decided to put the batteries in the same spot on both sides. More to come on that!

darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Looks good bro. I'm jealous, I want that big as A/C box out of my engine compartment bad.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks Darryl. Man I came to my thread a week or so back and all my pics were missing. I was like oh damn.. PhotoBucket updated. But I guess it was a hiccup. I came back today and blam.. they are all appearing. The car is still at my buddy's shop. I'm hoping to have it back before the end of this month so I can continue working on it.

Updates: sent out the break booster to Dewey - http://www.boosterdeweyexchange.com - he called the Friday after it was delivered and said I was all set and it was being mailed back out to me. Super stoked to see how it turned out. Mine had some pretty nasty pitting and was looking rough. He said it turned out solid for a driver. LOL.

Next my buddy Tony with the 64 limo got me motivated to find some bucket seats for my ride. Ended up with a set out of a 67 that has the 1 power headrest. They will of course need to be re-done but pretty stoked to have the rare bucket seats in my car (well they will be in there once I get it back). I'm also about ready to buy the rest of the stuff I need to get my brakes all finished up and plumber around the brake booster etc. More to come on that.

SouthernOctaneGarage

Post by SouthernOctaneGarage »

Awesome project man -- really digging the Dakota Digital gauges, those look damn nice!
Southern Octane Garage. Full service hot rod & restoration shop. Hot rods, restorations, & muscle cars custom built in Suwanee, GA.
http://southernoctanegarage.com/our-wor ... 016-build/
https://www.facebook.com/SouthernOctane/

Return to “Customized Member Projects”