'62 bench to bucket seat conversion

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Rucksta
Frequent Contributor

'62 bench to bucket seat conversion

Post by Rucksta »

I recently bagged my '62 LCC and was at a crossroads with where to mount guages and switches. I didn't want to mount them under my dash and glove box seemed too far away (plus I already installed a head unit and additional power port, so no room for anything else). I also don't want to make/create a console the goes under my dash.

I love the look of bucket seats and the console solves my problem of "where"... I found a set of '64 bucket seats with console (smokin' deal!). I will need to recover these red '64 seats and console (Jemima's interior is all black).
:?: I am wondering if anyone else has taken their bench seat material and converted them to the bucket seats? If not, I may be the first... :?
Here's where I'm at:
1. Took motor and hydraulic lines off of the bench seat and bucket seats and the mounting matches-up fine. I will have to drill four extra holes (two per bucket seat) to mount the inside rails, but doesn't seem to be a problem.
2. My bench seat backs are the same size as the buckets seats and the material is PERFECT. With these already having the '62 seat pattern, I was thinking of just swapping them out and mounting them on the '64 frames.
3. The bench seat bottoms are also in great shape, so I was thinking of taking this cover off, cutting in the exact center (under the armrest) and using the extra material to stretch down the inside of the bucket seats. Should be enough material... *fingers crossed*
4. For the console (once again, it's red and I need it to be black), the armrest from my bench seat should work (same size at least). My biggest concern is recovering the console lid. Has anyone else done this? I was planning on using vinyl paint for the rest of the parts (sides, inside, etc), and covering the lid with vinyl material to match the seats, but if anyone has some good ideas on this please lemme know.
5. I'll mount my guages and switches inside the console, once completed, for a clean and functional look... plus, buckets seats... who doesn't love those?
Appreciate'cha lookin' and (hopefully) lending some insight.
Ruck
:D
'62 Lincoln Continental Convertible
"Jemima" (My big, black, sweet bitch)
joeinbcs
Lincoln Maniac

Re: '62 bench to bucket seat conversion

Post by joeinbcs »

I put buckets from a '64 in my '63.
The holes were already in my floorboard, as buckets were a a "special order" option in '63, but not listed as an option (according to the Authenticity manual).
I had my seats recovered in the '63 pattern and they turned out great.
I think your idea of using the covers from the bench seat should work. You might need to hire an upholstery guy to make it look right, but I doubt it would cost much to reconfigure the bench seat cover to a bucket seat.
As for the console, mine was in good enough shape to use vinyl paint on it, as well as the rest of the console.
If yours isn't, you have a couple options. "Just Dashes" can make a new foam top like the original, or you can use some of the left over material from your bench seat to cover the top of the console lid.
Here's a pic of how mine turned out.
Good luck with it! Joe
Attachments
lfinterior1.jpg
Joe Northrop, College Station, TX
1956 Continental Mark II, C56G3159,Black/Black Bolsters and Welting, Deep Red Leather Biscuits, 460, C6, Disk Brakes
AnthLinc
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by AnthLinc »

Converting to buckets is simple. You need the correct duct work as the original will not work. Also you need the short harness for the right side seat track. It plugs into the seat track and connects to the plug by the sill plate. I know that the 1966-69 cars have a plug already there for the right side harness, I am sure your car may be the same. I had a spare set of bucket seats and a bench with only a good passenger side leather surface. I took bench material to the seat shop and they sectioned the leather and stitched the remaining skirt area to the trimmed leather section. It worked perfect. Your pattern is a little different but I am sure it could work. It all depends on the condition of the material.
Last edited by AnthLinc on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3806837

[ 1966 Lincoln Conv't ]
[ 1966 Lincoln Conv't Parts Car ]
[ 1972 Lincoln Limo ]
joeinbcs
Lincoln Maniac

Post by joeinbcs »

Thanks for adding the note about the ductwork Authlinc, which I'd forgotten about.
If you don't have these, I don't think it would be that big of a deal, though.
I did have them and used them, but if you don't, you'll just need to fill the void under the carpet at the transmission with some jute or foam.
1956 Continental Mark II, C56G3159,Black/Black Bolsters and Welting, Deep Red Leather Biscuits, 460, C6, Disk Brakes
Rucksta
Frequent Contributor

Post by Rucksta »

joeinbcs wrote:I put buckets from a '64 in my '63.
The holes were already in my floorboard, as buckets were a a "special order" option in '63, but not listed as an option (according to the Authenticity manual).
I had my seats recovered in the '63 pattern and they turned out great.
I think your idea of using the covers from the bench seat should work. You might need to hire an upholstery guy to make it look right, but I doubt it would cost much to reconfigure the bench seat cover to a bucket seat.
As for the console, mine was in good enough shape to use vinyl paint on it, as well as the rest of the console.
If yours isn't, you have a couple options. "Just Dashes" can make a new foam top like the original, or you can use some of the left over material from your bench seat to cover the top of the console lid.
Here's a pic of how mine turned out.
Good luck with it! Joe
Love the feedback and amazing interior pics! Well-done...
Rucksta
Frequent Contributor

Post by Rucksta »

AnthLinc wrote:Converting to buckets is simple. You need the correct duct work as the original will not work. Also you need the short harness for the right side seat track. It plugs into the seat track and connects to the plug by the sill plate. I know that the 1966-69 cars have a plug already there for the right side harness, I am sure your car may be the same. I had a spare set of bucket seats and a bench with only a good passenger side leather surface. I took bench material to the seat shop and they sectioned the leather and stitched the remaining skirt area to the trimmed leather section. It worked perfect. Your pattern is a little different but I am sure it could work. It all depends on the condition of the material.
Thank you for the note. I am not certain what duct work I need? Are you referring to the air ducting for the rear passengers? If so, my '62 has the ducting through the door panels, not near the seats. Is there something else I should be looking for?
For the seat harness, I was planning on piggybacking off the driver's side... That should work, right? I believe there's a hot and a ground, so should be simple. (famous last words). :o
Great feedback.
Ruck
lincolnfanatic4life
No Longer With Us

Post by lincolnfanatic4life »

dam those seats look so good..

makes me dream of when i can afford to recover my seats..
1968 Lincoln continental
full chrome delete
all black on 20"s
AnthLinc
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by AnthLinc »

My cousin and I have a 1962 sedan that it is in storage but from what I remember the door ducts could be for the rear passengers. If you duct work is similar to later years, there could be a heater duct at the bottom of the dash from which a duct fits over the transmission hump under the carpet. It is wide and branches off to both sides under the seat. The bucket duct is straight and narrow and runs directly through the bottom of the console. You could possibly cut the bench duct branches and trim it back if you don't have the proper unit. It you take it out completely you will have to built material several inches on the trans hump or the carpet over the trans will cave in. Also if it is just covered up air will blow under the carpet and you could create a dust effect every time you turn on the heat. (This is only if your ducts are similar to later models)

I don't think you will have any problems with your wiring idea for the passenger side. Before mounting the console you should get the seats lined up first. The holes for the seats are present but you may have to drill holes for the console brackets. With the seats lined up this will give you a bearing of where the console should mount. You don't want to get everything together and find that the console is mounted several inches to far back or forward. That should do it.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3806837

[ 1966 Lincoln Conv't ]
[ 1966 Lincoln Conv't Parts Car ]
[ 1972 Lincoln Limo ]
joeinbcs
Lincoln Maniac

Post by joeinbcs »

There's an accordian-like connector that runs from the bottom of the heater plenum to the plastic ductwork in my car.
If you don't have, or don't want to use the ducts, simply remove the accordian connector and you'll have more heat in the front part of the cabin if your car is the same. The air will exit the bottom of the plenum, and will not go under the carpet without this connector.
Authlinc is correct about the transmission hump. If you don't use the tubes, you'll need about an inch of foam or jute to stuff into the transmission tunnel to firm up the carpet in this area. This is easy to do, and you will probably have to work with some filler even if you do use the tubes, as I did, to get a tight fit in this area. Its not difficult, though...
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

I don't think that ductwork exists on a '62.
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

Correct, there was no rear floor duct work in the 1961 and 1962 models, it was added in 1963. That is why the carpet sets are different between these years.
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
Rucksta
Frequent Contributor

Post by Rucksta »

joeinbcs wrote:There's an accordian-like connector that runs from the bottom of the heater plenum to the plastic ductwork in my car.
If you don't have, or don't want to use the ducts, simply remove the accordian connector and you'll have more heat in the front part of the cabin if your car is the same. The air will exit the bottom of the plenum, and will not go under the carpet without this connector.
Authlinc is correct about the transmission hump. If you don't use the tubes, you'll need about an inch of foam or jute to stuff into the transmission tunnel to firm up the carpet in this area. This is easy to do, and you will probably have to work with some filler even if you do use the tubes, as I did, to get a tight fit in this area. Its not difficult, though...
Joe, I appreciate the feedback. Good stuff! I try my best to emmulate those who have not only done it, but DONE IT WELL! Good inspiration, brother...
I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, all, for the tips and notes. More to follow...
Ruck
Rucksta
Frequent Contributor

Post by Rucksta »

Update. This project just went from a three to a seven, in one day! :)
I thought it would be a snap to take the backs of the bench seats and bolt onto the bucket seats. No can do; the bucket seat have a full countoured fiberglass base, where the bench seat backs have a cutoff to the inside, where it sits next to the armrest. (I should have some pics to post in the near future). With the bucket seats, the armrest is attached to the rear of the console.
Now, I have removed the material (my bench seat was in really GREAT shape, so I will try to reuse as much of it as I can... plus, my wife is mad at me for messing with a perfectly good seat!) from the two bucket seats (to use as a pattern), as well as the two bench seat backs and bottom. I will take them to the upholstery guy tomorrow and see what magic he can word (really just sewing a seam across the front of each bottom seat and adding the extra material to each back. Pictures would really make this description sweet.
**Quick question**: what is the process for disassembling the seat motors, lines, etc.? It looks really easy, but I was told it was full of hydraulic fluid, but thought I read on here the cables are similar to a speedo cable. I saw a link of some PERFECTLY done ones, but not how they disassemble. Any help is always appreciated.
Ruck
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

They are easy, just the bolts and plates at each intersection. They are not filled with fluid, just metal tubes with speedometer type cable inside. Pull out an clean, then re grease the cables.
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
Rucksta
Frequent Contributor

Post by Rucksta »

toddallen wrote:They are easy, just the bolts and plates at each intersection. They are not filled with fluid, just metal tubes with speedometer type cable inside. Pull out an clean, then re grease the cables.
Sweet! Thanks for the info, Todd

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”