79 Collectors Series?

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Joe Nemec
Addicted to Lincolns

79 Collectors Series?

Post by Joe Nemec »

Could the color and leather be right? something missing?Center console? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/11-400-O ... 33793c7b8e
'76 Mark IV
Previously owned:
'70 Continental coupe
'71 Mark III
'73 Mark IV
linc64
TLFer for Life

Re: 79 Collectors Series?

Post by linc64 »

It looks correct. According to Automotive Mileposts only 197 were built in this color. The dark blue leather was available, but it's odd that there's no center console, and the door panels are cloth.
http://automotivemileposts.com/mark5197 ... dblue.html
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

Yes, and this particular one can legitimately be marketed as a rare "JFK" Lincoln! :D
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

The paint color looks to be a carryover from the Diamond Jubilee Edition.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
1973 Mark IV Fanatic
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1973 Mark IV Fanatic »

This car also has the standard hood ornament instead of the more ornate one normally found on Collectors Series Mark Vs. It could very well be legitimate, but it seems to me that there is something fishy about this car. Perhaps someone took a regular Mark and turned it into a "Collectors Series" using assorted pieces from a donor car; Who knows... the car is very nice, however. It is certainly unique.
Jim Weller 1986 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition, 1996 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series, 2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition.
Linmk56
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Linmk56 »

I noticed the hood ornament too. Leather could be ordered on the CS in lieu of the cloth seats. When the leather was ordered, the car was equipped with the "luxury group" sew style and the console was deleted, but the rest of the trim stayed the same. I ordered one such car for a customer. All other CS's (we probably had less than 10 for the entire model year) were ordered for stock with the standard cloth upholstery. There is an item on this car I've never seen before and that is the style of initials mounted on the door.
Howard
1956 Mark II C5691376
Linmk56
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Linmk56 »

LithiumCobalt wrote:The paint color looks to be a carryover from the Diamond Jubilee Edition.
As I type this, I have a copy of the 79 Mark brochure, it lists Diamond Blue Metallic as an extra cost color.
Howard
1956 Mark II C5691376
Joe Nemec
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Joe Nemec »

It also has the (Lumbar driver seat option) that tells me most of the time with that option the car was customer ordered.
'76 Mark IV
Previously owned:
'70 Continental coupe
'71 Mark III
'73 Mark IV
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by onedollarbob »

Linmk56 wrote:I noticed the hood ornament too. Leather could be ordered on the CS in lieu of the cloth seats
The DJE/CS hood ornaments are notorious theft items on these cars. They usually run $600+ if you ever find one for sale, so I'm sure many people opted to replace with the standard hood ornament if theirs was stolen; standard hood ornaments go for less than $100 as new and are much easier to track down. When I bought my CS, the previous owner had actually put a standard ornament on the car and put the faux-crystal CS ornament in his safe (no lies).

When the CS was ordered with leather, the customer was actually credited back as this was less expensive than the CS cloth interior. The interesting thing about the CS cloth interior is so many other components are wrapped in leather: dash pad, console, seat backs and bottoms, and the arm rests front and rear are leather instead of the standard mystery material. It was like they were trying to compensate the cloth interior by adding leather wherever they could.
Joe Nemec wrote:It also has the (Lumbar driver seat option) that tells me most of the time with that option the car was customer ordered.
I've never seen a CS that didn't have the lumbar option. Theoretically, they came with all options except moonroof and CB radio, though there seems to be some debate on some of these smaller things, like the thermometer mirror.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

onedollarbob wrote:When the CS was ordered with leather, the customer was actually credited back as this was less expensive than the CS cloth interior. The interesting thing about the CS cloth interior is so many other components are wrapped in leather: dash pad, console, seat backs and bottoms, and the arm rests front and rear are leather instead of the standard mystery material. It was like they were trying to compensate the cloth interior by adding leather wherever they could.
The twin comfort seats were about $400 less than the buckets with console on the CS.
onedollarbob wrote:I've never seen a CS that didn't have the lumbar option. Theoretically, they came with all options except moonroof and CB radio, though there seems to be some debate on some of these smaller things, like the thermometer mirror.
The power lumbar seat was indeed standard on the CS.