12 v ignition power source for pertronix

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 12 v ignition power source for pertronix

Post by Solid »

Dan Szwarc wrote:I lied (remembered incorrectly). The 12V source came from the driver's side of the car. There was a relay that clicked (activated) when ignition was activated. It is one of the relays under the plastic cover on the fender wall.
DCP_1059.JPG
Everything is all covered up and put away right now so I can't give you anything better than these pics.

I found it by listening for the click and probing with a meter. Once I found something that was clearly ON with Ignition and OFF without, I made a harness to tap it and routed the wire across the engine bay to the Pertronix.

Yours may or may not have these relays depending on the year and the options. You just have to probe around and find it. Once you locate a source, you have to figure out how to get it to your coil.

I think I may have tapped a window safety relay or something. I'm don't remember anymore.
Couldn't this problem be solved by adding a relay next to the coil? It sees the +9V when the ignition is switched on, and switches in 12V tapped from the battery that is right next to the coil?
2sasilverbullet
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by 2sasilverbullet »

Solid wrote:
Dan Szwarc wrote:I lied (remembered incorrectly). The 12V source came from the driver's side of the car. There was a relay that clicked (activated) when ignition was activated. It is one of the relays under the plastic cover on the fender wall.
DCP_1059.JPG
Everything is all covered up and put away right now so I can't give you anything better than these pics.

I found it by listening for the click and probing with a meter. Once I found something that was clearly ON with Ignition and OFF without, I made a harness to tap it and routed the wire across the engine bay to the Pertronix.

Yours may or may not have these relays depending on the year and the options. You just have to probe around and find it. Once you locate a source, you have to figure out how to get it to your coil.

I think I may have tapped a window safety relay or something. I'm don't remember anymore.
Couldn't this problem be solved by adding a relay next to the coil? It sees the +9V when the ignition is switched on, and switches in 12V tapped from the battery that is right next to the coil?
That's what I was thinking...
No Lincoln currently...
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

It will work if the resistor wire can supply enough voltage to keep the relay closed all the time. A 12V relay might not be good enough, but you could use a 9V relay if you can find one.
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

When the resistor wire is under a load it is only 6 volts... I don't think it would be enough to continuously close the relay. Why not just do as Dan did and find a solid key-on source? You're saving trouble in the long run IMO. The more complicated you make a circuit the more chance you provide for errors or faults.

I will be working on the Lincoln this week an I will take some photos and a step-by-step of what I did to get 12v to the coil.
Rob
WMD
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by WMD »

66Lincoupe wrote:When the resistor wire is under a load it is only 6 volts... I don't think it would be enough to continuously close the relay. Why not just do as Dan did and find a solid key-on source? You're saving trouble in the long run IMO. The more complicated you make a circuit the more chance you provide for errors or faults.

I will be working on the Lincoln this week an I will take some photos and a step-by-step of what I did to get 12v to the coil.
I agree. I would probably make the connection at the ignition wire between the resistor wire and the ign. switch under the dash. This would then be the correct factory circuit for the ignition feed minus the resistor. It would also ensure a dedicated safe 12 volt supply and that no other circuit could be interrupted or shared.

wmd
1954 Capri Fact. a/c
1969 MK III Vinyl Roof Delete, 1969 Continental 4dr.
1970 Continental 4dr.
1976 MK IV Givenchy
1993 Town Car Cartier
Two 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Broughams
2sasilverbullet
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by 2sasilverbullet »

I ran a wire to the fuse block next to the glove box - dedicated switched +12v source.
No Lincoln currently...
frankroenpage
Occasional Visitor

Post by frankroenpage »

Hi Dan and hi Rob,

Thank you so much for your very fast answer concerning my problem with the ignition power source for the pertronix. I am very glad that I am in this forum and have great people with a lot of help.

Rob if you work on your car and make pictures I will look forward on seeing these in the forum. Maybe I will try it afterwards on my car. Well it will take a while because today it snowed again. :cry:

I want it warm and sunnyyyyy.
1965 Lincoln Convertible
1966 Lincoln Convertible
1975 Audi 100 Ls
1979 Lincoln Continental Town Car
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

2sasilverbullet wrote:I ran a wire to the fuse block next to the glove box - dedicated switched +12v source.
2sa- by this do you mean a wire from the fuse block to the Pertronix and coil without any relay? I am about to run an ignition-on wire from the fuse block, and I don't see the need for a relay. How many amps does this setup consume? The original resistor wire seems to be like a 10 amp circuit, so what is the purpose of wiring a relay??
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I think he means a 12V switched source right from the fuse box. If he used 12V that was hot all the time, he couldn't shut off his car!
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

Yes I know that thanks. I said I am about to run an ignition-on wire from the fuse block, and I don't see the need for a relay. So my question is what is the purpose of the relay? It seems to me the new ignition-on wire carries sufficient current for the Pertronix.
cnoce3
Occasional Visitor

Post by cnoce3 »

BTW, I installed the Pertronix 2001 Ignition Power Relay Kit over the weekend, and it was very easy if anyone else is thinking of using it - you just connect a few wires and that's it. I definitely noticed a smoother idle, and would recommend others to bypass the resistor wire as suggested by Pertronix when you install the ignition.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

autostick wrote:Yes I know that thanks. I said I am about to run an ignition-on wire from the fuse block, and I don't see the need for a relay. So my question is what is the purpose of the relay? It seems to me the new ignition-on wire carries sufficient current for the Pertronix.
A relay would not be needed.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Is is true that these Pertronix units are now made in China? I have heard that they are of lesser quality now than they once were. All of the BS'ing around with running extra wires has got me convinced to just leave the point system in place and run my '67 like it was initially intended. I still have some to think about it as the distrib will be one of the last things to go back on, but not sure which direction I want to go.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

Finally ran 12 volts positive to the Pertronix. All this chat about a relay seems to me to be overkill, and I was sure there was a 12 volt ignition-on only source somewhere close to the coil. I found it under the windshield washer bag, the positive on the four post starter relay. So I just spliced some quick connect terminal ends on a jumper wire with an inline fuse, hooked it up and worked immediately to smooth out the idle. I also think the car runs better but who knows, could just be optimism.

The Pertronix and coil require about 4 amps. How do I know that? A 3 amp fuse worked fine until I revved up the engine and it blew; so I stuck a 6 amp fuse in the line. Now rock steady at 75 MPH and the car seems to start quicker (but who knows, I did not time it).
Attachments
Jumper attached to ignition-only circuit
Jumper attached to ignition-only circuit
Jumper attached to coil, routing wire to avoid any manifold contact.  Former 9V coil resistor wire is taped open.
Jumper attached to coil, routing wire to avoid any manifold contact. Former 9V coil resistor wire is taped open.
Simple jumper wire with inline fuse
Simple jumper wire with inline fuse
Verifying 15 volts DC only when ignition is ON
Verifying 15 volts DC only when ignition is ON
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I would have sworn I checked for switched 12V at the starter solenoid, but I cold have missed it.

Update: I checekd my 66 schematics and neither post to the starter is switched 12V. One is START, and the other is the full voltage output to the coil when starting.

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”