Combine TheLincolnForum.Net & the LCOC's Continental Corner?

This public area is set aside as a courtesy for the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club and the Lincoln Motor Car Foundation for topics specifically related to the them. Inquiries can be made by non-members concerning the two organizations here. All mention and reference to the LCOC is allowed under fair-use laws. TLF.Net is not affiliated with the LCOC or LMCF in any way and the messages posted here do not reflect the views of the LCOC or TLF.Net. Members who wish to post private messages to or about the LCOC may do so in the Private LCOC Forum.

Moderator: LCOC Moderators

Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Combine TheLincolnForum.Net & the LCOC's Continental Corner?

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

I've always felt that making TLF.Net a member's only benefit would be a way to increase membership in the national. In the past, I didn't get positive feedback, so I let it drop. If TLF.Net is afraid of loosing posters and visitors to the site if it makes access a member's only benefit, there are ways to address that. So, without much more boring details, I'm for it.
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

I think that the Club site should link directly to this one while keeping certain items accessible from the other site.

The new management understands the value of this site and should make it "official". We already have a members only section.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Stuart M. Cohen wrote:I've always felt that making TLF.Net a member's only benefit would be a way to increase membership in the national. In the past, I didn't get positive feedback, so I let it drop. If TLF.Net is afraid of loosing posters and visitors to the site if it makes access a member's only benefit, there are ways to address that. So, without much more boring details, I'm for it.
The problem with giving something away for free (this forum) and then closing it off to members is 95% of people will not join or return.

The problem with making it LCOC members only is only 80% of an even smaller number will visit. The end result is a dead forum.

I think that people are more likely to join the LCOC if they believe that the LCOC is providing a service, such as a forum. The fact that the forum is free to others is not as important as they want to give back to the organization that provides the service. There will always be moochers. They will always be people who offer to contribute (as they have here).

I am on the board of directors of the LCOC. The complaint of this forum being out of the LCOC's control is no longer valid.
lightning1

Post by lightning1 »

I am not in favor of using the LCOC site. I had been an LCOC member for well over a decade and left the club a few years ago.
I, "simply", became very tired of the clubs politics. I let my membership lapse for a few years and rejoined last year. Nothing had
changed and I doubt I will renew again. I have been reading the posts on the LFN for well over a year now and do enjoy the
postings and thoughtfulness of the members. A very enjoyable Forum on its own! An internet link from the LCOC is welcome.
I usually remain silent in these matters, however, opinion is: " Not Broken - Do Not Fix"! I have only posted one (1) other time and that was well over a year ago. I do watch the Forum on a daily basis. My Lincolns include a 1956 Premiere - 1957 Premiere - 1961 Continental and 1979 MK 5 (This one sold and so sorry I did). Regards to all. :smt006
gkramer47
Former LCOC Pres.

Post by gkramer47 »

lightning1,

I'm curious as to what you found not to have changed when you rejoined the LCOC last year. In the past three years, Dan, myself and many others have worked to make the club more welcoming and useful to the "average" member. Can you tell me just what you have seen, specifically that makes you not want to re-join? We'd appreciate it.

Glenn Kramer
1973 Mark IV Fanatic
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1973 Mark IV Fanatic »

I find myself drawn to TheLincolnForum for some reason, which is interesting to me because when I first became aware of these forums, I thought I would use the Continental Corner more often than not. I, for one, would be all for combining the two forums, if for no other reason than to simplify things. It seems to me that the two forums serve the same purpose, anyway. I get a sense of a more "casual" atmosphere here on TheLincolnForum as compared to LCOC's Continental Corner. If the two forums can be merged in such a way that combines all of the best qualities from both, then why not?
Jim Weller 1986 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition, 1996 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series, 2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition.
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

I was also hoping for a combining of the two forums, but apparently the subject wasn't discussed at the recent board meeting.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Combine TheLincolnForum.Net & the LCOC's Continental Cor

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The LCOC Continental Corner is dead. The forum got hacked.

No one as using it anyway, so it's no big loss.
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

I'm pleased that thelincolnforum.net will not be the official web site for LCOC. I joined LCOC for one year but didn't renew because their interest is almost exclusively about originality. I like performance improvements, some customizing, AND original Lincolns and enjoy seeing some of that diversity here. (Not withstanding Dan's signature. :D )
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
JonW
Lincoln Maniac

Post by JonW »

Since JimA restarted his thread, I'd like to address his concern and reason for not renewing, even if it is off-topic. I think the issue is important.
As the owner of a modified Lincoln, I can tell you that the LCOC has made huge strides in just the last few years in welcoming ALL Lincolns. My '62 is highly modified, yet very well done. It's first showing was at the Mid-America Meet in Dayton last year. I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive based on past experiences, but it was very well received and I had lots of compliments. In fact, I'm so impressed with the current administration that I volunteered to run for Director of the Midwest Region and by extension able to attend the national board meeting. The LCOC is definitely headed in a new, and much better, direction. I hope that those who have let their membership lapse will give the club another chance.
1962 Continental resto-mod
Yeah, it's got a Hemi
1979 Mark V 1 of 1
Triple Turquoise
1979 Mark V Bill Blass Edition
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

JimA wrote:I'm pleased that thelincolnforum.net will not be the official web site for LCOC. I joined LCOC for one year but didn't renew because their interest is almost exclusively about originality. I like performance improvements, some customizing, AND original Lincolns and enjoy seeing some of that diversity here. (Not withstanding Dan's signature. :D )
We could agree to disagree, if you like. ;-)

I welcome all to this forum. If I didn't want anyone to customize their cars, I'd be preaching against it and admonishing those who do. However, I understand that for any vehicle to survive it must find the owner that places value in it. It preserves the car in a manner of speaking. Otherwise, those cars will end up as junk heaps.

I like to help people. If I didn't offer advice, they would go else where for it. Might as well try to give them the right advice. :dance:
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

One of my favorite expressions:

"Cars are like spouses, you married 'em, you gotta like 'em."
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Can't agree more, Stu...clubs are clubs and they need all of the participation that they can get...I'm also a member of the Zephyr club, (LZOC), and membership is declining rapidly. While Id rather see a V12 meticulously restored, and I cringe at a hot-rodded Zephyr, those cars have got to be welcome at our gatherings. Same for the LCOC...while I believe our cars should be restored and not modified, if a modified car pleases the owner, so be it. A happy wife, is a happy life....too often my wife calls my 63 the "mistress". My cousin's wife divorced him over a car...said he was paying more attention to it than her. And she was right. He spent more time caressing it by far. Wayne
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

JimA wrote:I'm pleased that thelincolnforum.net will not be the official web site for LCOC. I joined LCOC for one year but didn't renew because their interest is almost exclusively about originality. I like performance improvements, some customizing, AND original Lincolns and enjoy seeing some of that diversity here. (Not withstanding Dan's signature. :D )
Jim, sorry but you are dead wrong on this one. For the last 4 years or so we have all been screaming at the top of our lungs that we accept ALL - YES ALL LINCOLNS.
Articles have been written in Comments about custom Lincolns, just ask Jon Wessel. We have expanded the judging sheets to include custom cars and give awards to custom Lincolns.

In the old days, did we exclude customs?? Yes, but that's old news now. If your car has a Lincoln star, or a knight's head on the hood, we want it, and you.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

I agree we should be a "big tent" (and by "we" I mean TLF and LCOC). But head on over to "Suicide Slabs" on FaceBook and you'll see how the resto-mod people feel about how they think we restoration guys and LCOC/TLF members feel about them. It ain't pretty. They're turned off, and turned off big.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"

Return to “Public LCOC & LMCF-Related Discussion”