Combine TheLincolnForum.Net & the LCOC's Continental Corner?

This public area is set aside as a courtesy for the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club and the Lincoln Motor Car Foundation for topics specifically related to the them. Inquiries can be made by non-members concerning the two organizations here. All mention and reference to the LCOC is allowed under fair-use laws. TLF.Net is not affiliated with the LCOC or LMCF in any way and the messages posted here do not reflect the views of the LCOC or TLF.Net. Members who wish to post private messages to or about the LCOC may do so in the Private LCOC Forum.

Moderator: LCOC Moderators

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Combine TheLincolnForum.Net & the LCOC's Continental Corner?

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I am considering a proposal to the Board of directors of the LCOC, that TheLincolnForum.Net, it's configuration, members, and database, be combined into the LCOC's young forum, The Continental Corner sometime in 2012 or 2013.

It will formally adopt our database, membercount, etc. and allow everything that is TheLincolnForum.net and the LCOC to be under one roof.

I want to draw up a coherent operating procedure, chain of command, and policy document for this and are open to any ideas, concerns, etc. regarding this.

Please post your responses in this thread and tell me how you feel.
jsanford
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Combine TheLincolnForum.Net & the LCOC's Continental Corner?

Post by jsanford »

As I recall, long ago, this forum was affiliated with the LCOC and it had to be made independent for liability reasons. Has something changed?

Jeremy
LCOC Western Region Webmaster & Northern CA Activities Coordinator.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Yeah. We no longer have certain people in charge who do not understand the internet, how it is used, or how useful it is. I won't mention him by name, but he has SNUBbed me in the past. ;)
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

Dan Szwarc wrote:Yeah. We no longer have certain people in charge who do not understand the internet, how it is used, or how useful it is. I won't mention him by name, but he has SNUBbed me in the past. ;)

Dan, that's really funny.
You found a way to get the name out, without getting the name out.
Bob.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

My only question would be, "Why not combine them?" Sounds like a logical decision to me.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
2sasilverbullet
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by 2sasilverbullet »

Not having visited the other site - what's the "atmosphere" over there?
Are we compatible?
I think both sites will tend to "merge", is that something we want?

inquiring minds want to know...
No Lincoln currently...
Dermot
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Dermot »

The other site looks pretty quiet. I could never understand why there were two parallel forums....
Dermot

1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car - Farrah
7Y82A881960, Philadelphia Ordering District, built February 21 1977
gkramer47
Former LCOC Pres.

Post by gkramer47 »

Dan,

Gee, I don't know, it sounds pretty good to me...

Glenn Kramer
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

I posted this reply on "The Corner", and will post it here also for the people that don't visit the "The Corner".

Well, this is what I've been wanting all along, but was told that because of legal reasons it wouldn't happen. When the "Corner" was started over two and a half years ago, there was a disclaimer that stated: "All links are external web sites and are not affiliated with the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club." Apparently this was the loophole to protect against lawsuits. I tried to make the "Corner" happen, but with my best efforts I failed. In a large part due to no participation by anyone in the club. Even when I proposed that maybe the "Corner" should be shut down because of lack participation or promotion by club members, I was told it was just a holding place for something better. When I asked what "the something better" might look like or include, I got no response.
In any event, I do support the two forums being merged into one, but I would propose that anyone wanting to access the forum would first have to visit the LCOC home page in order to click through to the Forum.
Secondly, I think that club members should have special access to certain things that the general public would not. One thing I wanted to do with the "Corner" was to have a Lincoln Research Library available to club members. I started posting literature there knowing that LCOC had permission from Ford to that, whereas technically, the Lincolnforum.net did not. Recently I stopped posting because I realized changes were coming, and I wanted to see what those changes were going to be before I posted any more literature.
Lastly, as a moderator with access to all the sub forums, it was interesting to note that until yesterday, with a post from Dan, no Directors or committe members have used those forums since May 20th 2010. Hopefully that will begin to change. No talk about the latest Meet either.
I'll look forward to a new combined forum, and hopefully a better designed and more up to date web site in general.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

Show's you how much I knew. I didn't even know the "corner" existed. If it isn't being used, why not just kill it and replace it with this one?

And while I have no beef with a "members only" section as suggested by linc64, I think it should be separate and accessed only through the LCOC site. As for this forum however, I disagree with having to go through the LCOC site as the only way in. It was through this forum that my interest in the Michigan Region was renewed.
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Ken Stevens wrote:I didn't even know the "corner" existed. If it isn't being used, why not just kill it and replace it with this one?
I was about the only one that ever referenced "The Corner" in my posts here. I did it numerous times to try to draw interest in it. I felt that if the LCOC was going to have an official, unofficial forum, that it should at least get used.
Ken Stevens wrote:I disagree with having to go through the LCOC site as the only way in.
For current TLF.net members, it wouldn't be the only way in. You would simply bookmark the forum page, or make it your home page, like I do. Besides Ken, if you're in the Michigan Region, aren't you also in National? Why would you not want to visit the LCOC web site?
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

linc64 wrote:Besides Ken, if you're in the Michigan Region, aren't you also in National? Why would you not want to visit the LCOC web site?
I was an LCOC member back in the mid 90s, but at that time I was a noob in all matters regarding my Lincoln and therefore I didn't get much benefit form being a member of the National LCOC. So I let my membership lapse. Fast forward to my involvement in the forum and I not only felt I could contribute but also learn something new every time I would logon. Then when the Mid-America meet came up close to home I decided to show a car. So I joined the Michigan Region (and by requirement) the National.

As for the LCOC site, I've been there and the content doesn't change all that much over time. For example, the Events section is still listing the Eastern Meet for this past June. And the Emblems section has the same image of unidentified emblems as it's had for quite awhile. I don't what the hit count has been for the national site, but I bet it's a lot less than this forum has received.
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

There wasn't really a concern over being sued as much as there was a perceived lack of the club's control over people posting whatever they wanted. Since few at the top used computers and the internet, they were afraid of the unknown... vehemently.

Today's board is much more... understanding.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I say, keep them separate. It is quite easy to find either site on the net. It appears that most wish to use this forum. There has to be a reason for that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :grin:
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
Dermot
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Dermot »

Ken Stevens wrote:Show's you how much I knew. I didn't even know the "corner" existed. If it isn't being used, why not just kill it and replace it with this one?

And while I have no beef with a "members only" section as suggested by linc64, I think it should be separate and accessed only through the LCOC site. As for this forum however, I disagree with having to go through the LCOC site as the only way in. It was through this forum that my interest in the Michigan Region was renewed.
Well I'm a paid up card-carrying and proud member of the LCOC and thought everyone here was too....until I realised I saw no references to the handy articles and ads in the club magazine...
Dermot

1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car - Farrah
7Y82A881960, Philadelphia Ordering District, built February 21 1977

Return to “Public LCOC & LMCF-Related Discussion”