1966-1967 Speaker Size Authority

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1966-1967 Speaker Size Authority

Post by Lee »

If I had the schematic, I could tell you immediately, but it would be rare to see an outboard impedance matching transformer on a transistor radio. They were common with tubes, though.

If two of those wires go directly to the speaker voice coil (not through that coil or transformer) then that is probably just a choke on the 12v side of the power (the other two wires) to minimize ignition noise. If the voice coil wires do go into the choke or coil…then it’s a matching transformer, and you’d need to figure out what the radio and speaker impedances are.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I was debating what to call it, but yes, probably a choke. The shop manuals schematic shows nothing, just 4 wires coming out of the box, so what you would need is the radios schematic, moot point as Emanuels radio is not factory anymore. Thing is, the new radio probably doesn't need that choke, and the factory wiring is not going to give stereo sound.
I still have the OE AM/FM radio in my '67, but replaced both speakers with modern units, so even the old radio didn't need that choke.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, IDK about the wires. The wiring is the one detail in Frankenstein's sound system that's still original, and I do get distinct stereo sound...

...well, at least from the tape player. I haven't really tested the FM band that much, mainly because I still have that frustrating problem with radio reception going on and off randomly. I really need to see what can be done to fix that.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I just threw away one of these original dash speakers last week. It indeed has a transformer on it. Do yourself a favor and upgrade your wiring and speakers. The originals are not up to the task and are likely dried out anyways. I’d wager the impedance isn’t compatible and the power rating is probably nonexistent so will not work well with the new system. The wiring is undersized and probably brittle as well, which will not help. No way is this original stuff going to give you quality modern sound.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Post by Emas9420 »

So, i kinda forgot i posted here.. And when i got back from my trip i tried hooking up my new aurora conversion..

Well everything was fine except in an attempt to hook up this dash speaker, i must have burnt something inside the radio as i could see smoke coming out.. yikes...

I was holding the wire so i was able to pull out before i could do further damage and everything still works fine other than an annoying voice saying theres a power short.. but i think that could be unrelated.

Anyways, would something like this work for the dash speaker? https://www.crutchfield.com/S-sBgdpnMuJ ... 9oQAvD_BwE

its just a regular 4x10 right? on the rear i already have kenwood installed that came with the car and look new.. and i don't seem to have any clearance issue with it.

What is the best way i can go about replacing this dash speaker? how easy/hard is it? do i need to rip the whole bottom of the dash?
- Emanuel
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

To replace the speaker in front, you don't go under the dash. You remove the dash padding, which is involved but not very hard, and then attack the speaker once the pad is off the dash.

Does the radio still work after that smoke scare?

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

To get true stereo sound up front, you will want a 4x10 that has dual voice coils or a 4x10 sized speaker assembly that has two separate smaller drivers in them. Otherwise, you will only a L or R channel depending on how you hook it up. The beauty of the Aurora converted radio is that it will automatically detect what speaker arrangement that you choose and adjust accordingly.

Only way to get to the speaker is popping the dashpad. I found popping the dash pad to be a royal pain in the ass so I try to avoid it whenever possible, however that was for a ‘67. The ‘66 may be easier because I believe it is in multiple pieces. The ‘67 dash pad is all one piece including the wraparound the instrument cluster.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Post by Emas9420 »

TonyC wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:21 pm To replace the speaker in front, you don't go under the dash. You remove the dash padding, which is involved but not very hard, and then attack the speaker once the pad is off the dash.

Does the radio still work after that smoke scare?

---Tony
yeah it works perfectly fine, it just says front left speaker power short when it turns on, but it works... I don't have the front hooked up yet.

i haven't seen any instructions to remove the top pad.. i'm assuming its just the screws at the top + a few others behind the passenger grill?
- Emanuel
Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Post by Emas9420 »

LithiumCobalt wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:29 pm To get true stereo sound up front, you will want a 4x10 that has dual voice coils or a 4x10 sized speaker assembly that has two separate smaller drivers in them. Otherwise, you will only a L or R channel depending on how you hook it up. The beauty of the Aurora converted radio is that it will automatically detect what speaker arrangement that you choose and adjust accordingly.

Only way to get to the speaker is popping the dashpad. I found popping the dash pad to be a royal pain in the ass so I try to avoid it whenever possible, however that was for a ‘67. The ‘66 may be easier because I believe it is in multiple pieces. The ‘67 dash pad is all one piece including the wraparound the instrument cluster.
I think the one in the link is dual voice coil. so i guess that should work fine then.
- Emanuel
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Another option is to get two 5" speakers and mount them in the kick panels, the holes are already there. These were used for 8 track players, other Fords used similar grilles, but non stock grilles that will come with the speakers may look just as good, I plan to put these ones in my conv., as it only has one front and rear, so the side ones will give me four, but in your sedan, the front speaker would become unneeded.
DSCF9437.JPG
If you decide to remove the dash, here is what it looks like, zoom to see the bolt holes, 2 have a rope in them.
DSCF9435.JPG
That red Mk V dash is still available to anyone willing to pay a crating fee, I hung them in my basement out of the cold and sun.
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Emanuel,

Check Chapter 18, Part 1 in your shop manual; guidance to remove the dash pad should be there.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Post by Emas9420 »

frasern wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:29 pm Another option is to get two 5" speakers and mount them in the kick panels, the holes are already there. These were used for 8 track players, other Fords used similar grilles, but non stock grilles that will come with the speakers may look just as good, I plan to put these ones in my conv., as it only has one front and rear, so the side ones will give me four, but in your sedan, the front speaker would become unneeded.DSCF9437.JPGIf you decide to remove the dash, here is what it looks like, zoom to see the bolt holes, 2 have a rope in them.DSCF9435.JPGThat red Mk V dash is still available to anyone willing to pay a crating fee, I hung them in my basement out of the cold and sun.
I thought about those small speakers.. i may for now do the dash and at a later time do the other ones.

I read that the rear speakers need to be somewhat slim right? the ones i have now are kenwood and are not slim at all and fit fine.. what am i looking for clearance wise? what exactly does it hit in the trunk?
- Emanuel
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

The convertible uses a 4X10 in the rear, but the area around the magnet is tight, the one I found is okay, but the one I used up front would not have fit there. I don't think clearance is an issue in a sedan.
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, my speakers aren't of the Kenwood brand, but they aren't exactly of old OE tech, either. Aside from the facial dimensions, they are significantly bigger than the OE speakers; but I have no clearance problems with the trunk torsion bars, which are really the main clearance concerns. Though close to the bars, the speakers don't touch.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Post by Emas9420 »

I will be putting in a dash speaker in this weekend and wanted to know if theres anything i should be looking out for when removing the dash pad? I will check the manual Chapter 18 (as per Tony) but i remember reading that theres clips that instead of trying to pull out, you have to push in and up correct?

I am assuming all that is needed to remove the top are the screws in the back. The three screws that hold the dash cluster and the 6 screws on the passenger side vents?
- Emanuel

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”