Looking for 67 sedan or 'vert - what should I look for?

This forum is a place for topics that are found to be commonly asked by new members who are unable to find the answers to questions that have been asked and answered in the past.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Looking for 67 sedan or 'vert - what should I look for?

Post by LithiumCobalt »

linc64 wrote:I don't think you'll find a convertible like Kent's for any less. From what I can see it's a great deal.
You may be right about that. I may end up with it in the long run, but right now I am searching to see what else is out there. Afterall, everyone has told me to be patient.

We also vacation in FL every December so that would give me a chance to see the car without having to make a special trip if it is still available by then.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I thought I would share a link to a car that I think deserves every bit of the asking price.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/car ... 62999.html

It's too bad that it's a 66 and white, but it is this condition that I am looking for. It may be out of my budget right at the moment, but on the other hand, I think about the amount of work saved with spending the money up front like so many have suggested. I just may have to go above the budget to save myself some grief later. From what I can see, there's a big difference between a $12-13k car and a $17-18k car. Seems like a mere $5-6k more in purchase price saves you about $15k in work. The better condition of the interior, I would guess, is due to it being white and not one of the darker colors.

Top mechanicals and materials done
Highly optioned
Minimal wear on interior
Exterior paint presentable
Suspension re-done 10 years ago
A/C working (although, how well is the question posed)
Timing chain/gears done
Rebuilt carb
Newer SS exhaust
Asking price $17,995 negotiable
Attachments
7814203-700-0.jpg
7814204-700-0.jpg
7814205-700-0.jpg
7814206-700-0.jpg
7814207-700-0.jpg
7814208-700-0.jpg
7814209-700-0.jpg
7814210-700-0.jpg
7865783-700-0.jpg
7865784-700-0.jpg
7865785-700-0.jpg
7865786-700-0.jpg
7865812-700-0.jpg
7865822-700-0.jpg
Last edited by LithiumCobalt on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
ekm330
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ekm330 »

Very nice car. Certainly more the type you are looking for :smt004 . Spending more upfront (usually) saves exponentially more in the long run, as everyone has said. To boot, it appears to be in good, original shape; not a polished... well, you know. If you are not partial to the color, you could paint it blue. Blue with white top and interior would be nice. However, I'd say leave it the factory color and just decide if this is the car to buy and get it out of your system. If you buy it, love it, but still want a '67 in your preferred colors, then you can sell this one, after having used it and enjoyed it, take the proceeds of the sale and buy you a '67. Or just wait for the right '67 to eventually present itself. At least this car is illustrative of what folks have been saying about waiting.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

ekm330 wrote:Very nice car. Certainly more the type you are looking for :smt004 . Spending more upfront (usually) saves exponentially more in the long run, as everyone has said. To boot, it appears to be in good, original shape; not a polished... well, you know. If you are not partial to the color, you could paint it blue. Blue with white top and interior would be nice. However, I'd say leave it the factory color and just decide if this is the car to buy and get it out of your system. If you buy it, love it, but still want a '67 in your preferred colors, then you can sell this one, after having used it and enjoyed it, take the proceeds of the sale and buy you a '67. Or just wait for the right '67 to eventually present itself. At least this car is illustrative of what folks have been saying about waiting.
Yep, I agree. Very nice original example. Would obviously have to verify body condition, but if all checks out, I'd say well worth the money and something basically turn key and ready to enjoy without having to worry about starting to work on it immediately. I could not paint it in a non-original color, though. I am too much of an originality nazi. You are also right about holding onto it and maybe selling later for a '67. I guess I am less opposed to a '66 vs. '67 in the convertible since there is no C-pillar star anyways. With a sedan, I definitely prefer the '67. Regardless, I would still have to choke down those '66 door panels.
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I have revised my budget slightly upward as I realize it is very good strategy to spend a few more thousand up front for a more finished car, just like everyone here has been telling me. I've seen a couple very nice examples, but nothing that quite trips my trigger yet. Seems like the difference in price between a 12-13k and a 17k-18k, while minimal, the additional work done to the more expensive car more than makes up for the additional price to pay. Between $12k and $18k is one of those weird price areas. Anything below that range is usually ragged out, anything above it is usually very, very nice and anything in between you can get a wide range of conditions for a small $6,000 range in price.
Nick
Highlander64
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Highlander64 »

LithiumCobalt wrote:I have revised my budget slightly upward as I realize it is very good strategy to spend a few more thousand up front for a more finished car, just like everyone here has been telling me. I've seen a couple very nice examples, but nothing that quite trips my trigger yet. Seems like the difference in price between a 12-13k and a 17k-18k, while minimal, the additional work done to the more expensive car more than makes up for the additional price to pay. Between $12k and $18k is one of those weird price areas. Anything below that range is usually ragged out, anything above it is usually very, very nice and anything in between you can get a wide range of conditions for a small $6,000 range in price.
You've seen the light.

That $6k difference up front means you'll spend your future time and money on smaller maintenance and upkeep items that every one of these cars needs. That $6k difference up front means you won't be spending $20k on top of your purchase price just to make it roadworthy and presentable. That $6k difference up front means you'll be out enjoying the car, "driving from cost to cost" as an unfortunate eBay ad read, rather than looking at a pile of parts and a pile of bills wondering how you ended up with each/either one, questioning your sanity, and possibly regretting your folly.

I'm wondering if keeping my car "one-owner" - in the family since new - is worth the remainder of what it will cost, rather than just finding another Highlander Green 1964 convertible. Problem is, I'm so far upside down in it financially that I've left myself no choice but to plod along through the rest of the project. Besides, I've only ever seen one other car (and in a picture at that...) this year, this color and that one had buckets (an option of which I'd be more jealous if not for the biscuit pattern... I love the biscuit pattern like you love the '66 door panels).
Chris
1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible, Highlander Green/White/Beige Pearl
1970 Mustang Boss 429, Grabber Orange/Black Deluxe
1983 F-250, see-through windows and real rubber tires
1998 Jaguar XJ8 BRG/Oatmeal - the 44,000 mile $1,000 dog hauler
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

New question for you guys. I talked to some yahoo recently about these cars and he told me that any of them that were originally equipped with CA emissions should be avoided. Apparently, they are a nightmare to get running correctly and/or difficult to work on or get parts for? Not sure how much validity there is to this so I am asking if anyone can confirm one way or the other? I am considering purchase of an original CA sedan right now amongst everything else.
Nick
jsanford
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by jsanford »

That "yahoo" was just that, he has no idea what he is talking about. The CA emissions on the '67 is just a closed crankcase ventilation system and a Thermactor air injection pump. Neither of these pieces of emissions equipment effects the performance or functionality of the car. CA 462s have just as much power as 49-state 462s and are just as easy/difficult to work on.

There are some very ignorant people out there who think that emissions equipment = bad.

Jeremy
LCOC Western Region Webmaster & Northern CA Activities Coordinator.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

That's a relief. I was thinking I might have to say no to the CA sedan just because of what I heard this guy say. I didn't place a whole lot of value on what he was saying, however, since he could barely annuciate anything over the telephone. Since I had no idea either way, figured I'd ask the experts. Thanks.
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

OK guys, new possibility....My initial gut reaction is no, but the price is tempting. A '67 that has been sitting indoors for 25 years. The owners, LCOC members, began to restore the car and then parked it inside and it has sat ever since. They plopped a battery in it, changed the oil and drained the old gas out and she fired right up so the car is running. They had it painted before they stored it and did not put some of the trim back on. They have assured me that they have all of the exterior trim, wheel covers and the inside door panels. The interior looks to be in very good original shape for the year (I am concerned with the rats nest of wiring for the windows). It looks to be highly optioned with cruise control, power headrest, looks to be A/C and either AM or AM/8-track radio and the power vent windows. According to the owners, the car is rust free except for the battery box (which is a little hard to believe, but if it's been sitting indoors for 25 years, I guess it's a possibility). THe big pluses with this one is the interior doesn't need replaced and the body being very straight (from what the pictures show - I'd obviously go look at before buying). It obviously will need a top and all of the mechanicals gone over (which can be done this winter). According to the owners, the top also functions, but it needs new material. I wouldn't even consider this car, but the interior condition looks very good and the body also looks very good. The mechanical rejuvenation is not something that scares me. The car has around 67k miles on it. The owner's asking price is $8,000. I thought if I could get it for less, that I would be in pretty good shape or even at that price it wouldn't be too bad. Even if I had to have Cashman come out and revamp the top mechanicals, I'd still have a running convertible for fairly cheap. I know this is not a "buy the best car you can afford" type of a car, but I see potential over most of what's being offered out there for the price. I am still biased towards a sedan or a convertible in much nicer shape, but I am considering everything that comes along. Can I do better than this? All your thoughts appreciated.....
Attachments
100_2611.jpg
100_2612.jpg
100_2613.jpg
100_2614.jpg
100_2615.jpg
100_2616.jpg
100_2617.jpg
100_2618.jpg
100_2619.jpg
100_2620.jpg
100_2621.jpg
100_2622.jpg
100_2623.jpg
100_2624.jpg
100_2625.jpg
100_2626.jpg
100_2627.jpg
100_2628.jpg
100_2629.jpg
100_2630.jpg
100_2631.jpg
100_2632.jpg
100_2633.jpg
100_2634.jpg
100_2635.jpg
100_2636.jpg
100_2637.jpg
100_2638.jpg
100_2639.jpg
100_2640.jpg
Nick
ekm330
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ekm330 »

Hard to beat $8,000 if the body isn't rusted out underneath. They changed the color from Huron Blue to Pitcairn Blue. I think it would certainly be worth a personal inspection.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

ekm330 wrote:Hard to beat $8,000 if the body isn't rusted out underneath. They changed the color from Huron Blue to Pitcairn Blue. I think it would certainly be worth a personal inspection.
Sort of what I thought. My guess is that it will turn out to sound better than it really is. I noticed the color code on the door tag being Huron Blue too. No idea how good the repaint was until I can see in person. I already see some overspray in the engine compartment.
Nick
ekm330
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ekm330 »

There's overspray EVERYWHERE, not just in the engine compartment :shock: . That lack of care and attention to detail may cause me pause and wonder what was the level of paint prep and possibly what was covered over. Again, for that price, it may still be worth a look-see. A color change can make or break the value. If it's really a sloppy job and you have to pay to have it done right, it's gonna cost you lots in preparation to "undo", then "redo". Hopefully, it's close by so you won't spend too much time/$ going to see it.
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

If you are looking for rust have them send you some close up photos of the dog legs and the lower rear quarter panels. The battery boxes tend to rust over time due to spilt acid from the battery.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

LC67Vert wrote:If you are looking for rust have them send you some close up photos of the dog legs and the lower rear quarter panels. The battery boxes tend to rust over time due to spilt acid from the battery.
Yep, already requested them. I remembered reading somewhere that the corroded battery boxes are typical.
Nick