63 Convertible 4.6 Build

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Re: 63 Convertible 4.6 Build

Post by darrylqmiller »

She looks AWESOME!! Glad you got a little time to work on your girl, she looks good with the new shoes and every man knows a woman needs her shoes!
It sucks when work takes you away but the return is the money you get to pay for the things you want to do.
Now can't wait to see her outside with the white walls. I'm curious to see how the low-profile WW look.
Keep up the good work.
drdvldog
Frequent Contributor

Post by drdvldog »

Yes...I am very interested too. I am measuring the strut pockets and ordering those bad boys soon...then I'll air her down, take pics, and then air her up to ride height and take some shots.

Driving to Tennessee tomorrow to deliver a bunch of parts to get chromed...maybe, if it's not too expensive.

Still looking for a better stainless guy. I can handle small dents in peak moulding, but some of my pieces are too jacked up to fix myself or too rare to try and replace.
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

good luck!!
twistngo
Frequent Contributor

Post by twistngo »

Just wanted to give you a heads up was looking for some stuff for my blown Crown Vic and one of the the guys wo specializes in panther parts has an adjustable camber alignment bolt for cars that have been lowered. It gives +or - 2.5 degrees its made by SPC and a set runs $60, going to get a set for my lincoln. the Site is www.adtr.net the owners name is Chris and has a blown 96 Vic called "Rocketcouch", videos on youtube, that runs 9s in the 1/4. Go to suspension, crown victoria, and the first item is the alignment bolts. He also offers a hardened watts link stud from ARP but it is pricey. Glad to see you back to work weather is breaking here I have to finish an engine rebuild and swap for my body man, he did all the work on my lincoln as a trade for this, and then its back on my lincoln.
66 Continental convertible, 13 SHO slightly tuned
02 Custom built softtail, 15 Expedition EL, 05 Thunderbird
00 Crown Vic Eaton M112 blower, Tremec 5speed......etc
Suzuki RF900 Just a little engine work...... And yes my wife is invisible
drdvldog
Frequent Contributor

Post by drdvldog »

Thanks for the tip...I have been watching your progress because you jumped way out in front of me on your project.

I like what you did with the front and I am going to drop the front end down and fab some bars for the ride tech guys to use for their shockwaves for the front pockets. I need to get her down so I can start wrestling with the a arm situation you encountered as well.

One domino has to fall before you can get to another, so I am super pumped work is slowing down and the weather is clearing for more action in the garage!
drdvldog
Frequent Contributor

Post by drdvldog »

Have the radiator and the intercooler just placed in there to figure out where I will have to notch with the plasma to get them to rest nicely...
drdvldog
Frequent Contributor

Post by drdvldog »

The radiator is angled a bit to fit under the hood, but it lets me get in there and visually see where I want her to sit....you can see how there isn't too much of a pocket to come out.

I am going to draw an upside down "L" type cut for a pocket, plasma it away, then take the piece I cut out and flip it and weld it back in to create the pocket....
drdvldog
Frequent Contributor

Post by drdvldog »

Here is a similar situation as the radiator, just a bit more...how should I say this....matured.

I am going to have to cut a pocket for the intercooler as well...BUT, then I am going to have to fab that pocket quite a bit bigger in order to accommodate the intercooler tubing.

I do like the overall position of everything...it is fitting as envisioned....it's just taking forever to get this project rolling.

I have to move again soon, so I have enlisted various family and friends to tag team on some of the big shiny things in order to get this bad boy running by the summer.
drdvldog
Frequent Contributor

Post by drdvldog »

Same situation here....that bolt running through the two ears there is where the alternator should go...naturally, there is a beam there, so it is going to have to get "pocketed" as well!

we have beautiful weather here and I have been slow rolling on the gas tank, so it's time to speed that up...I will do that today and post pics of the progress.

HAPPY EASTER everyone!!
twistngo
Frequent Contributor

Post by twistngo »

Have you thought about flipping your intercooler so the fittings face the bumper and you don't have to cut and fab so much. I have the same intercooler on my blown Crown Vic and mounter it that way to make the lines easier to get to and it looked a lot cleaner bring the lines into the engine bay side by side along the fender well than bending them around the radiator. Looks good glad your back on it.
drdvldog
Frequent Contributor

Post by drdvldog »

Honestly...I was driving down the road last week thinking about it and telling myself to go get back in there and figure it out...you "suggesting" it would be a good idea is a nice way of helping ground my decision to cut in reality...it's easier to flip it...and you are right Sir.

Work always gets in the way for me...but, I managed to take off all half days for the rest of the week, got a new bottle of argon for the TIG, and a brand new full size compressor for my birthday. It's time to finally get cutting, sanding, priming, and painting....after I weld this gas tank up.
twistngo
Frequent Contributor

Post by twistngo »

Glad you are making progress and I am happy to help. I worry that some people might take "suggestions" as criticisms or that I'm being a know it all. I appreciate all the help I have gotten on the forum and try not to re-invent the wheel on my stuff when ever possible. Derby is over so thing can go back to normal and next week I should make some progress, my motor lift is loaned out so a I may start on the 4 link. I think you may be ahead of me you have an engine (a real nice one) and transmission in your car and wiring. Ugh wiring, your definitely ahead.
drdvldog
Frequent Contributor

Post by drdvldog »

I am at a crisis point.

Work has informed me that I am set to move overseas for the next 3-5 years.

I can either store the car, or sell her.

Real question is, does anyone want a project??

I am struggling with the decision right now and I have to go back to Afghanistan in less than a month. Which means I have to make my arrangements quicker than I would have liked.

What do you guys think?
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

I think you have too much invested into this care to part ways with it. I wish I was in your area, I'd come take a look at it!
Lee
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

I say keep it, because you've put a lot of work into it and because few people would buy a custom project/build. Put it in storage and get back on it when you're home again.
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/

Return to “Customized Member Projects”