63 Convertible 4.6 Build

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

drdvldog
Frequent Contributor

63 Convertible 4.6 Build

Post by drdvldog »

Alright everyone...it's finally time to get back in the garage and start making some progress. Unfortunately, my fresh start is handicapped already by my inability to hold on to my camera! Lost that bad boy after taking a bunch of motor pulling pictures in my driveway. This past weekend, I rolled my blue bomber down the driveway and enlisted the help of my cul-de-sac neighbor to pull this monster from her perch under the hood. Naturally, this was not an easy task...for now, I have a pic of the pulled motor in my storage facility that I snapped with the camera phone.

Here is what is going in its place....

Now all the steps in between I will attempt to catalog here! I know some of you have wished me luck in the past, but I have taken my sweet time getting to it...sorry...I promise I will do better now that she is back in the garage and ready for some restoration/modification!
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: 63 Convertible 4.6 Build

Post by bagged59 »

good luck on your project. i'd like to see that engine under your 63's hood. good luck and keep the pictures and progress coming.

paul
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...

https://www.instagram.com/paulrosowicz/
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

Good luck with the project. I'll be checking in regularly. Please post as much info about the proces as you can (and photos of course, always photos).

Cheers,
Reijer
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
xjrguy
Occasional Visitor

Post by xjrguy »

Looks like a 2003 - 2004 Mustang Cobra (Terminator) engine.

Nice upgrade.
LA Speedgarage
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited AEV
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
2010 Kawasaki C14 ABS
2011 BMW S1000RR ABS/DTC/SA
drdvldog
Frequent Contributor

Post by drdvldog »

yes, it is...a Terminator motor! I got it from a kid in Alabama...but, it wasnt one of those, "he ran it into a guardrail story!"

I found the camera, so I am going to upload a few photos of the motor pull and get to work on the engine bay and snap some more pictures to get this thread moving a bit. Sorry for taking so long, Guys. I promise I get it moving soon.
davin24
Occasional Visitor

Post by davin24 »

omg this is exactly what i wanted to do hope u the best and post up alot of pics.

What do these engines go for nowadays??
xjrguy
Occasional Visitor

Post by xjrguy »

davin24 wrote:omg this is exactly what i wanted to do hope u the best and post up alot of pics.

What do these engines go for nowadays??
I've seen turn key engines like the one in this thread for a couple thousand.

Can also get the larger displacement 5.4L GT500 engine (iron block) for around 8500 to 10000 used also.
LA Speedgarage
2010 Kawasaki C14 ABS
drdvldog
Frequent Contributor

Post by drdvldog »

I wish I could have found one of these motors for a couple thousand...they are very few and far between, which makes them worth a pretty penny! Well, I should say the ones that are ACTUALLY for sale, not some guy who is in love with the car that he wrecked and is holding on to his motor, but is willing to tell people he will sell it for a "couple grand" and never does!
drdvldog
Frequent Contributor

Post by drdvldog »

Sorry for not posting in a bit....I have been thrashing on getting some logistics sorted out. Sold a few bits and pieces and I have been running copper lines for the garage air supply/drier/filters/dessicant set-up....oh, and painting one of my motorcycles! That has taken up quite a bit of my time because I am not quite sure how long you have to paint until someone considers you above average, or at least skilled, but I am DEFINITELY still considered a NOVICE!!

Pics will follow tomorrow, as soon as I find where I stashed the camera!
xjrguy
Occasional Visitor

Post by xjrguy »

drdvldog wrote:Sorry for not posting in a bit....I have been thrashing on getting some logistics sorted out. Sold a few bits and pieces and I have been running copper lines for the garage air supply/drier/filters/dessicant set-up....oh, and painting one of my motorcycles! That has taken up quite a bit of my time because I am not quite sure how long you have to paint until someone considers you above average, or at least skilled, but I am DEFINITELY still considered a NOVICE!!

Pics will follow tomorrow, as soon as I find where I stashed the camera!

Cool, looking forward to your updates!
LA Speedgarage
2010 Kawasaki C14 ABS
drdvldog
Frequent Contributor

Post by drdvldog »

Alright....I am going to post some pics and I want some opinions...

Should I keep the metallic blue vinyl and do the restoration in original blue?

OR

Would the car look better with an all white interior? If so, those who have done an all white conversion, please add your two cents and tell me if I am crazy or not.

I am going to paint the car the same, or very similar, dark blue that it is now. So, it will have the blue paint, chrome/stainless trim, white top, and the chosen interior color.

Thanks for the help!!

ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

I'm definitely for the original blue on blue. Alternatively, light brown leather seats always look good with the dark blue paint on these cars.

Your seats look good in those photos by the way.
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

:shock:

You need to invest in some shelving and get those metal parts off the soft trim...
Not A Current LINCOLN Owner -

- Just An Admirer...

MEL DIVISION 1958-1960
drdvldog
Frequent Contributor

Post by drdvldog »

You are right about that....I have invested in some good boxes and the UPS store to send them off to get fixed!
drdvldog
Frequent Contributor

Post by drdvldog »

Alright...its been awhile, but I have the motor out...all the old A/C garbage, dash and its tangle of accessories and most of the wiring harness forward of the firewall. I have to pull the steering box and get to work cleaning and filling holes, but I just wanted to ring in and get some pics posted over the next 24 hours of all the activity.

The dash was a pain, but only because its my first time tearing one down! I know the next time it goes together is going to be a lot smoother. I have a mockup of the Vintage Air unit I want to run dressed up in cardboard, so once I get the holes filled and motor and trans mocked up, I am going to slide the dash frame back in and see where the A/C unit will go.

I just want everyone to know who posted about removing the windshield, THANKS FOR YOUR INFORMATION! It seemed like the majority dont like screwing with taking her out, mainly because of the cost, but I had to do it because once the dash came out, I could see sunlight through some of the bottom of windshield where the weatherstripping should have been. I dont know if the adhesive pulled away after all those years of heat cycles, or if the windshield is a replacement that wasnt installed properly. Regardless, she came out VERY easy, so thanks for everything!!

Return to “Customized Member Projects”